Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is your fondest memory in your Vw
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you still have this Vw ?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 61 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 94

rpelct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: What is your fondest memory in your Vw Reply with quote

I bought my Vw a year ago my first car and plenty of memory's building up what is your favorite Vw memory(s)
Ace Radio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it earlier today... Driving down a twisty curvy country road with my son... in my old lowered bus with the safari windows open wide and the stereo playing loud...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving the little lady to hospital to give birth to our daughter Cool

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
rpelct
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love curvy roads in my bug wish I could have safari windows and a bus to:)lucky kid Very Happy
maximan1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either driving through a "DUI checkpoint" scared shitless cause we were all wasted, then laughing about it after we got past or gettin laid in the back.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximan1 wrote:
gettin laid in the back.

damn bugs are too small for this activity haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_whingnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
Quote:
damn bugs are too small for this activity haha

thats why you need the roof rack and deck lid rack!

the fondest memory i have was last December. i took my 65 sunroof home for resto and my Dad and I drove around back home. After 2 years of him asking why i like the little car he got out and said "i get it". Now he wants a Convertable Ghia.

we tore the car down in Feb it took 6 hours to do. i can't wait to put it back together with him.
PVWC Hampton Roads VA
CVA South East CT
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving it home from the dealership.
Driving cross country (3) times
Driving my wife home from our wedding

Driving it yesterday Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deanobanion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit a curb going 20 with the brakes locked up one night, sheared the bolts right off the sway bar on one side. Later, we fixed the dislocated sway bar by tying it to a pole in the ground, backing the car up, and putting on a new bracket. Drove fine afterwards, like it never happened. Ahh, how simple life was Jr. year of high school....
Mr. Mofo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time i drove my bug (I didn't have a license yet). Forgot that i had taken the plates off to send back to the guy i had bought my bug from. Now when i was driving by my old school there was a cop with his radar gun out i had no clue how fast i was going, about to shit my pant, i saw his lights go on and he passed by and said nice bug and drove and pulled guy over in front of me. Got home as quick as i could then told my dad what had happened and he called me a lucky dumb ass then said if i ever pulled a stunt like that again it would be taken away. That was one week ago. Still dont have my license. Hope to get it before spring break, Iv got a big trip planed that me and my 3 VW fanatic friends are going on.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving my 71 super down to san diego, then driving with 2 other friends from SD to LA, my car was so weighted down that every bump we hit would cause my back tires to rub on my fenders, and the car smelled like burning rubber. Then dropped off one friend in LA and me and my other friend drove up highway 1 at warp speed... so much fun! but a couple days after getting back to sacramento I blew a back tire on the freeway
highway 1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

on the side of I80 blown tire Crying or Very sad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the mid 90s, driving to Manassas VA from NY with my kids sleep in the back seat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines similar, minus the kids.. after 11 years of taking her apart and putting her back together, actually making it to Manassas and back.
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
nickeladians
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Fondest memory Reply with quote

my friend and i had just left a class we were taking for massage therapy and this girl in our class was rude. So we got out on the interstate in my cabriolet and blew past her laughing and waving w/the top down, then about 5 miles down the road the motor blew and we coasted to the side of the road while she blew past us laughing and waving!darn the timing! lol Embarassed

Last edited by nickeladians on Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
90volts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cant say on a family site... but sure she remembers. Cool
RicFlat4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: It's been a while... Reply with quote

I grew up around VWs - my dad was my primary influence as he was simply a VW nut. I remember Hot VW magazines and JC Whitney catalogs all over the house! My dad had a nicely restored white '56 & I had a black Cal-look '57. That was many, many years ago. In the last few months, I had talked to my dad about getting another Bug - said I'd start looking for the right one. Being that my parents are in Orange County (Anaheim), there were plenty of opportunities. He was overjoyed to hear of my plan.

Sadly, my dad passed away on Sept 23, 2011, after a year-long battle with lung cancer. I flew down that morning as soon as I got the call, but I didn't reach my dad in time. It was as a rough week...

So to keep my sanity and strength for my mom - I needed a mental break. And that was VWs... I had to get away. I looked at four cars the Sunday after my dad passed. My wife and I took the afternoon and drove all over OC. Even looked at a long-time DKP car, but decided on the last car we looked at. It reminded me of my own car... those many years ago - and of my dad... who is probably smiling in approval.

I aquired a '66 sedan. Nice clean car with an equally clean (& simple) 1600sp motor. It was just the right time... with many more memories to create.
74superTN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given my bug from my father in law...It hadn't been running for over 10 years.

My best memory so far is taking my wife for a ride in it for the first time since she was about 12.
Don66bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Fond memories Reply with quote

We were treeplanting in northern BC in the seventies. I was driving a 1962 15 window deluxe bus, driving on the logging roads to the planting sites, and sleeping in it at night. Everyone else had heavy duty machinery, mostly 4X4s for dealing with axle-deep muck. One afternoon after planting, the crew cab Chevy 4X4 buried itself in a dip on the road, surrounded by a despondent group of dirty treeplanters who were going to be delayed for supper. I thought that there was enough room beside it wiggle through so, with six people in the bus and gear, we churned our way through the glop past the disabled 4X4 and then took off for camp.

At another treeplanting site, a woman with newborn used the bus as a nursery. She would feed the infant, put it to sleep in the bus, go out and plant several hundred trees, and come back in an hour or two. The baby survived all that. There was no real risk as we were out in the middle of nowhere. The bus kept her safe from bears.

Different times ...

Don
Gray Oval Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: a bit foggy Reply with quote

.. about 1975, driving in my 66 bug from a dinner in the mountains south of Yosemite with three young ladies on board. it's late night , and what starts out as a light mist gradually turns into a total grey-out of fog.. we're in the middle of nowhere, on a two lane road with no shoulder or turn outs high in the mountains..no place to wait it out. I had to hold my drivers door open and watch the center line to be able to drive for about 10 miles til we drove out of the fog at a lower elevation..

ps - I am still driving on the rebuilt engine from that car.. : }
Cal Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: 3 Bugs, a Ghia, and a Bus Reply with quote

I just found the Samba and Im glad to be with other fellow Dub fans. I started in the 80's with my Cal Bug 68, red, slammed, and de-chromed. I had it for years.

I then bought a short lived 63, that was more rust than bug. It had all the chrome on it. Vintage engine. I wanted to Cal-it-out, but ran out of money and sold it.

I got a 70 sun roof, that I used to drive for a delivery service. It got hit parked over night and totaled.

I then got a 74 Kombi, I also used it for deliveries, sold it to a Kombi fan.

I got a 69 Ghia, I bought the body, the owner had the engine sitting on a skate board, under a Webber bar-b-que tarp. It had been rebuilt, but the owner lost interest and had to get his junkyard out of his backyard. Towed it from Los angeles to Berkeley, put it together and ran it in the California Melee.

I road raced the brains out of that car, the body was in bad shape and the bondo started to fall out every where. Sold it.

Im kind of tired of technology and want to get back to a bug. I drive a technological terror, a Ford Focus. I have a nieghbor with a 66 bug, I have been talking to for a while and working on striking a deal to buy it.

I really had great times in my first bug, the 68. I cruised all over Southern California. I want a car that is physical, mechanical, and not so quiet, you have to look at the tach, to see if it's running.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: