Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is your fondest memory in your Vw
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you still have this Vw ?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 61 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 33 ]
Total Votes : 94

far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good memories with my first vw. It was a 67 zenith blue sunroof model bought new in April 67. My fondest memories of that car are definitely dating my wife in it I'd love to go back.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
retroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Best memory? Reply with quote

My wife wrecked our 65 on our honeymoon at Tahoe. So it got repainted a Porsche color "Bahama Yellow" (why did I pick that?) Anyway shortly thereafter I pulled up to a red light that was on a very slight upgrade. Along side on my left one of Bill Harrahs Lamborghini Miuras. It was the exact same color. He revved his engine and I revved mine (stock 40hp) . When the light changed he stalled it and I beat him across the intersection. Then I got passed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in preschool, back in 1997-1998, my dad used to pick me up in the Beetle at the end of the day. I always knew weather or not it was going to be a good day because if it was, the family dog (who is also still with us after 16 years) would be sitting in the front seat. Now being almost 19, I drive my dad's old bug daily and don't plan on ever selling it.
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
Beetlebaum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that the first time I really got to drive my Super far for inspection 2011 was one of the best. Another would be the time recently that I took him on a nice twisty, curvy road and drove him like he hadn't been driven in years. The most recent would be driving him to inspection 2012 and driving him like a madman on the way home. Very Happy Hopefully, soon I can add more great memories with my Beetle!
Beetle Bums VW Club Member
nowgot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: 12 Cents A Gallon For Gas Reply with quote

Filled-up for a dollar in L.A. After driving down from the Bay Area but I got stuck on the Grapevine Mountain, on the way. It acted like it was out of gas but I knew it wasn't. Slept in the back seat of my '58 Beetle. Not easy for a 5'11" man. Walked down the mountain to the nearest garage. Had to be towed to a garage, where it was discovered the Jesus Clip had come off the fuel pump rocker pin. A new fuel pump installed plus tow was $60. I knew that if I had a flashlight, I could have found the pin/clip, to be on my way. Always carry a flashlight, now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(whoops--just reread the title-- DUH--not a fond memory but a memory that stands out none the less Confused )

Driving down the highway to the Niagara Falls bug show (about 17s ago now!)--enjoying the breeze with all windows open. We rounded a bend, the wind direction changed and half a box of Kleenex was one by one sucked out the box laying on the back seat, filling the interior then, sucked out the passenger vent window --cool and scary for a second or two. We heard the sound of Kleenex exiting the box first then the cab was full of white stuff then it organized itself, spinning like a tornado, and out the little window it went.

Last edited by Patty B. on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

90volts wrote:
can't say on a family site... but sure she remembers. Cool

Pretty similar to what 90 says, location of first time for several "adult" activities. Mrs. Cusser #2 drove it to the hotel site where we got married. 1.5 years later we brought home daughter #1 from the Scottsdale Hospital in it, pretty funny seeing a baby go home in an old VW, all the other new-parent couples were driving brand-new minivans.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JenLuvsVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. It was my big brother's beetle (but I felt like it was mine, too). I was only 13, and my brother adored me (I was cuter and sweeter than my older sister!) So, one day he said, "Get in. The driver's seat. I'll teach you how to drive." I jumped right in.

I guess teaching a kid how to drive is hard -- imagine teaching a kid, who never had driven any car before -- to drive a stick shift. It was wild, at first. In the beginning, I was trying so hard. I wanted him to be proud of me. But sometimes, when I was shifting gears, you could hear HORRIBLE noises... Oops! And my brother would YELL and GROWL at me, words like, "WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO? BURN OUT MY CLUTCH?!?" Needless to say, I learned the rhythm super fast. He could yell really loud!

I was always asking him to PLEASE let me drive. Finally, I started hearing him say such beautiful words, that I'll never forget. I can hear him now, saying, "Nice! Perfect! That's it!"

I think of him every time I drive. Especially when I oh-so-cooly downshift around turns. My brother died -- way, way too young. I miss him. I wish he was around to see me in MY bug. He had "beetle" in his blood. He would take apart, what looked to me like the entire car, in the morning. Parts all over the grass! (My mother yelling at him to clean-up that mess!) He'd fix the problem. And by late afternoon, he'd be back driving, his bug all fixed. He had something like a "samba site" inside his head!

He used to go to the junkyard for VW parts. Dirt cheap. I don't think such wonderful "yards" exist any longer!

Anyway, that's why I think of my bug as a boy. For my brother.
Jen
Jon65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my 1st time learning to drive a stick shift in my bug and I was driving down a back road. After coming to a stop on a really steep hill, I looked in my mirror and saw that an old lady driving a huge Ford truck had stopped literally 2 inches from my rear bumper. (You probably already see where i'm going with this.) So, after seeing that huge truck behind my little bug, I got nervous and popped the clutch and literally jumped into the intersection. After, I got back control of the car, I turned back to see the old lady in the truck laughing at me. But i didn't really mind.
super_sailor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my fondest memory so far was my 68 ghia i bought right after i graduated highschool. i swear that thing hated my ex. we had been together 2 years at that point, and we went for a cruise on a saturday right after i spent almost an hour convincing her i had fixed everything. we were cruising down a backroad near my house to take another backroad up to the mountains, about 15 minutes in to the drive i took a left and midway through the turn the back quarter window flew out and skidded across the pavement, nicked the edge but didn't shatter. so i got the evil eye and then i told her everything was good about 5 minutes later i lost all oil pressure and my accelerator cable broke on the pedal side as i was pulling over to the side of the road. Without her though, the car always ran perfect. Maybe it was a sign Laughing
zombiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fondest memory in my car...well it got to be taking it on random adventures. My friend calls "Navigator" and we get hopelessly lost for sheer entertainment. My friend would find a random station (or any that would come in for that matter) and he would wait for people to look at the car and start dancing wildly. The looks we got out of sheer entertainment.

or when my friend decided he would truly navigate us by taking the "crows nest". He got ski goggles on and stood up through the sun roof on a back road screaming "Tally ho!" and pointing forward.
VW Man 53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its my first car, im 17, and my favorite memory so far is probably the day i got it running again about a year ago. Came choking and sputtering back to life and for some reason shot a feather out of the exhaust, still have the feather in the glove box Laughing no other feeling like bringing it back to life for the first time
oldsouls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 15 and my buddy's Mom bought him a bay window bus. Someone restored this, it was pretty and yellow. shortly after that a guy he met told him that he could gas hop it he took the front shocks out. He did, and one night were crusing around and we turn into a shopping centers parking lot and starts the hop. people were cheering this on. right as we start to turn and go in front of the main drag, the glove box opens up and out comes a 12 inch cresent wrench to stick me in the forhead. I bet i still have a scar. Something i would not do today but it's my first memory in a Vw lol.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 of us with 3 50 lb packs taking my buddy's metallic green '57 Bug backpacking in NorCal. Cool
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
patrick66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is the day I bought my first VW, whiich was a 1966 Type III fastback in 1976. One-owner, with white exterior and red interior. It was the neatest little car! Not a rocket, but it certainly was a fun car to drive. Had I not grenaded the engine after a few months of ownership, I'd probably still have that car!
uncapj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fondest memory's is when i got my baja started for the first time after a complete build i had bought it as a rolling shell with no trans and engine or wires 3 years it took me and when i finally got it to start after three days of wire troubles it fired right up and my aunt who i live next door too was getting a mural tatto on her back comes out crying tears of joy she said it was like she got a grand nephew from all the work she seen me put in i ended up giving to an aquantence because he said he needed somthing to live in for a little bit the next week i seen it on craigslist for 1500 needles to say he is no longer a aquatence or have front teeth to this day i regret selling her

they say money doesn't buy happiness but it buys car parts and those make me happy

Cars are like the perfect girl always ready and never say no

Current 74 Std Beetle (class 11ish)
Past 67 Baja
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well so far.. just a nice day cruisin around town with the radio on and the sunglasses on and then going longboarding and playing some frisbee.. good times

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I got married in 1970 and bought a new Beetle for our first new car.(under 1200 dollars). Anyway she called me at work the first day she drove it to her work place, and told me the rear wheels are smoking really bad. She never forgot the release the E-brake after that. Smile
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling heavy hearted and nostalgic today--thinking about when we were kids playing in the VW junk yard, we had our choice of bugs and buses to "drive".
59RAIDER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad originally built my 1959 Rag Bug in the late 80s early 90s - My fondest memory is being with the whole family (Mom Dad and 2 little brothers) VW Logo cruising through Albuquerque during the balloon fiesta with the rag top wide open and looking at the balloons thru the roof. Simpler times and great memories.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: