Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OLD VW NUT's 2110 Build notes - pics posted
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spanky324 wrote:
Without help from Art the Empis wouldn't be the same I bet!!

Normally I'd have opted for the Weber carbs but its hard to get Italian Webers these days - and those are all used. The Spanish Webers are no better out of the box than the EMPI carbs. I agree with you - Art does a wonderful job with the HPMX carbs. I can set floats and adjust idle etc but Art does more than that. They get pulled apart and fully cleaned and inspected and reassembled. He ran these on an engine before shipping them. All I needed to do was get the linkage adjusted properly. Easy peasy!

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick shot of the engine compartment. Things are still kind of dirty but she runs awesome! Oil is from an oil line that didn't get quite tight. No other leaks! Yeah! Throttle response is incredible - she idles very well considering the cam has 298* duration - 248* at .050" lift - gotta love those slow ramps. At least I do. I should have the air conditioning buttoned up and loaded with R134 tomorrow or Tuesday.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VEry nice!! But thought no need for AC in that part of the country?? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:

Depends on your tolerance for heat.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=98823&MR=1

Its a little cooler than normal lately. Temps here average 91-95 this time of year. I'm not near Seattle.

Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
nsracing wrote:

Depends on your tolerance for heat.

And with no airflow inside a Ghia while stopped, it can get uncomfortable quickly. I drove mine in 98 degree heat when doing cooling system testing (pavement temperature was 130 F), and concluded that the Ghia can handle heat a heck of a lot better than me!

Paul
itHaKa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
Here's a quick shot of the engine compartment. Things are still kind of dirty but she runs awesome! Oil is from an oil line that didn't get quite tight. No other leaks! Yeah! Throttle response is incredible - she idles very well considering the cam has 298* duration - 248* at .050" lift - gotta love those slow ramps. At least I do. I should have the air conditioning buttoned up and loaded with R134 tomorrow or Tuesday.

where did you get the A/C compressor bracket ?
is that a Sanden 507 compressor?
What about the compressor pulley, does it get bolted to the crank pulley ?
how do you tighten the compressor belt ?
also the compressor seems to be bolted to the #4 exhaust stud, no bracket to the center of the case ?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="itHaKa"]
OLD VW NUT wrote:

where did you get the A/C compressor bracket ?
is that a Sanden 507 compressor?
What about the compressor pulley, does it get bolted to the crank pulley ?
how do you tighten the compressor belt ?
also the compressor seems to be bolted to the #4 exhaust stud, no bracket to the center of the case ?

The compressor bracket came with the Gilmore kit. It was reworked to lower it 2" to clear the crossbar linkage.

I have no idea which pump that is. It comes in the kit.

The compressor pulley bolts to the crank pulley with 2 cap screws that come in from the back side and can't be seen.

The compressor bracket is bolted to the #4 exhaust stud and a brace is bolted to the distributor hold down stud - and a brace runs from the #3 exhaust stud to the compressor bracket. It is very stable.

OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd add a video my nephew took last night. You can really hear those Manton pushrods. The EMPI 44mm HPMX carbs really work well.

Link

aircooled356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sweet. Very nice work. A/C is nice....unfortunately none of my vehicles have a working system. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Altema
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweeeeet... great throttle response Applause
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the car home tonight. Its been at my nephews shop getting painted. I've only drove it about 10 miles so far but WOW! I love how it runs. The EMPI carbs work as well as any Weber carbs I've owned - and I've owned a few pairs of them. - it looks great with the new paint - all new exterior seals etc.

I hope its a long warm fall since the Ghia has no heat. The air conditioner works very well. It was 90 earlier and just driving it a few miles with the fan on low it got nice and cool in the car. The fan is kind of noisy but thats ok - the engine makes its own music and its louder than the fan on the A/C.

Volfandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OLD VW NUT wrote:
I got the car home tonight. Its been at my nephews shop getting painted. I've only drove it about 10 miles so far but WOW! I love how it runs. The EMPI carbs work as well as any Weber carbs I've owned - and I've owned a few pairs of them. - it looks great with the new paint - all new exterior seals etc.

I hope its a long warm fall since the Ghia has no heat. The air conditioner works very well. It was 90 earlier and just driving it a few miles with the fan on low it got nice and cool in the car. The fan is kind of noisy but thats ok - the engine makes its own music and its louder than the fan on the A/C.

Looks and sounds great.
re. heat, wonder if the AC can be modified to work like a heat pump w/a reverseing relay?
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volfandt wrote:

Looks and sounds great.
re. heat, wonder if the AC can be modified to work like a heat pump w/a reverseing relay?

No can do. You'd need some very fancy valving and switching going on - not to mention the compressor would have to run in reverse. While the A/C techs were installing my Mitsubishi Mini-Split air/heat unit I asked them if that were possible on a car. They explained how the unit works. Suffice it to say it'd need to be specially designed to do that on a car.

I've already got a problem with the car - an oil drip has shown itself on the rear sand seal/pulley. EMPI pulley and seal. Go figure. I knew better than to buy it but thats life. Gotta pull the pulley and install another seal. Time to visit my NAPA buddies for a seal. I'm hoping it isn't the pulley itself since the A/C pulley is bolted to it. The problem will be making the A/C pump pulley align to a different crank pulley. Alignment is critical to belt life and bearings in the pump.

OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe its been 2 years since I updated this thread.

What is it they say about life? Its like a roll of toilet paper - the closer you get to the end...

Anyway - on to an update!

Been driving the car on a semi-regular basis - its very mild mannered in town unlike some hi-po motors I've built over the years. I'm still wondering how I could put power steering on it - that would be a great upgrade. Ease of driving has a lot to do with the relatively mild cam - the CB 2242 cam - its easy on the valve train - and the Manton pushrods aren't really that loud. The double layer of sound deadener helps a lot. The Mondo muffler barks louder than anything else in or on the car! At an even 100 degrees oil temps are right at 200F after 15-20 minutes of 60+ mph with the air on. I get a lot of thumbs up from young and old alike - and more than a few people (usually younger ones) have come up to me while I'm gassing up or making a store stop wanting to know what it is I'm driving. I always tell them its a volkswagen. One young kid (a know-it-all) insisted it wasn't something VW ever made. The 'VOLKSWAGEN' script on the engine cover wasn't quite convincing him. He did say he'd 'look it up on google' and see for sure.

I've got the car on stands at the moment - seems the starter decided to take a permanent holiday. I have a spare that I bought used with a bunch of other stuff a guy was trying to sell me. I only got it because he threw it in to sweeten the deal. All I wanted was the pile of old solex carbs and several distributors for my son - and the brand new never used Bosch 55w alternator with internal voltage regulator complete with back plate for myself - both of which work as they should. Anyways that starter didn't work. After all that time to pull the old starter and putting this one in. I don't have an air conditioned garage - good thing the weather topped out at 'only' 98F today. I was sweating my ass off when I finally called it quits for the day. I ended up buying a new Bosch SR15n starter - Amazon has them for $108 plus tax. NAPA had the same starter for nearly $200! The SR15n is the one that doesn't need the bushing support in the transaxle. The SR15n is the standard starter for an auto stick for anyone that didn't know that - and is a perfect fit for the stick shift trans as well. Makes it just that much easier to convert the older cars to 12v - no need to putz around with those balky bushings.

The air conditioning has been a godsend! Its been at and over 100F day after day here! And there is nothing but more of the same for the next 2 weeks in the forecast!

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=98823&MR=1

Hot hot hot! The AC is pretty good. I had to modify it for better air flow. Gilmore decided to put more restriction in some of their units before I bought mine. Bad idea IMO. 4 quarter sized holes does not allow enough air to flow over the coils so I made 4 more quarter size holes side by side and cut the materials between them and the air works great now. Great big slots with lots of nice cold air! Too bad I didn't take pictures and I'm not going to pop those vents off to get them. I thought I was going to break something just getting the vents to release. Note to Gilmore: Make the housing from something a bit beefier. The air handling unit is made from very flimsy plastic - easily broken if you aren't careful Gilmore said he did that quarter size restriction to prevent the coils from freezing up. Great idea for anyone using these units in a swamp - where I am the summer time humidity seldom gets past 35%. No problem with the coils freezing - just me - freezing!

Anyways - recent maintenance included a valve adjust - nothing out of the ordinary or tolerance as far as being out of adjustment. One intake was a tad loose - maybe .002 cold. Setting the valves at loose zero is handy. No need for a feeler gauge. I also removed the filters and cleaned and re-oiled them. Carbs looked nice and clean inside - outside too. I adjusted the rear brakes (drums) after breaking the adjusters loose. I thought I was going to need to pull the drums but a bit of strong language and some judicious prying with the adjuster tool and they finally saw things my way. This brought the brake pedal back to where it should be. About half way down. I'm still pondering whether to buy the rear disc brake kit - with park brake of course. I'm still impressed with what 4 corner discs did to a 72 Super I ended up selling 4-5 years ago. Or was it 3-4 years? CRS i guess. You really have to drive one to experience the difference 4 corner discs give you. The car stops RIGHT NOW! The Ghia? Almost as good - but not quite. I'll have to think that over for a while - its hard to justify the money and time for something I drive only 1-1.5k per year. I sure enjoy that 1k though!

I really will try to get a video made taking the car for a cruise around some nice curvy road - that might happen in a few weeks or so. I have a great video camera I can stick on a tripod and wedge it into the car - just gotta take the time to anchor it down so it doesn't slam up against a window or chip the door paint.

Anyway I plan on updating this thread as I drive my Ghia - work on it -find problems - solve problems - etc.

Thanks for looking!

Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the new starter in this morning. Good thing I was done early. Its currently 100F - supposed to top out at 104 today. This gave me the time to test out my modification to the Gilmore AC. The trouble with the Gilmore AC as I see it is one of pathetic air flow where you most need it - the evaporation coils. Gilmore seemed to think a couple of quarter sized holes is 'all you need'. His reply email to me was because the coils end up freezing if too much air flows through. Well --- maybe in Florida Mr. Gilmore but where I live it is HOT in summer with average humidity of 15-20%.

Anyways my alteration of the dash air modules works great. Half an hour in 100F heat with the air on hi and it stays reasonably cool inside. For 100+ heat I'll drive my Jetta.

The new starter works fine. A couple of minor problems were easily overcome. I bought this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BZJRZS?psc=1&...ge_o00_s00

The starter works great and fits as it should with plenty of power to turn over my 2110 motor. I did have two problems fitting this to my Ghia. Anyone buying this for a Beetle will experience the same two problems. One is addressed with the notes the Bosch supplies with the starter - that of connecting the wire to the solenoid - VW made them all spade connectors that slide right on - I've never had one come off. I prefer this but had to convert my wire over to an eyelet style connector. No big deal.

The other problem isn't so easy to get around. Either get help of follow what I did to overcome this. The long 'D' bolt that is standard on VW since the very early models has a head that is almost round but has that flat spot on it makes it relatively easy to get the 17mm nut on and tight up in front of the fan housing without needing to have someone stick a wrench on the starter side to prevent turning. An easy way I discovered years ago to get the 17mm nut started is to take a piece of thin electrical wire - 20ga works fine - tie a loop on one end and carefully place it over the end of the threads - put some pressure on it from above and hold it with your left hand while threading the nut on with your right hand. A contortionist's act I know but it works. Remove the wire once you have the nut threaded up part way. The bolt is always trying to slip back out of the hole and that piece of wire jams it so you can thread the nut on. Here is where the old style starter worked with you - the flat spot of the bolt's head would lock up against the starter body and allow you to tighten the nut down without help. While installing this starter I had no help so I tried various screw drivers to wedge against that flat spot and the starter body - I found one that locked on it pretty good without falling off. A short handled flat driver. I got it tightened down securely then took it for a test drive of the AC. Everything works great! The car drives just like it did last summer - still noisy and has that gas/oil/grease smell. Ya gotta love old cars - I know I do!

OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: OLD VW NUT's 2110 Build notes - pics posted Reply with quote

So I've put the Ghia up for sale. Here's a video I took today of a drive up Sheep Canyon Road. The car is a blast to drive - plenty of low end torque even with the 44mm HPMX carbs. Enjoy the video - I know I enjoyed the drive. And yes - lots of bugs on the windshield. Lots of grasshoppers and other little flying insects. I washed the windshield a few days ago.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: