Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 65 Notchback project
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: My 65 Notchback project Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone recognizes this car at all? It is a 1965 1500s. The last registrations and title are from 1982-1984 From the Arlington VA area. It looks like the car was restored around that time, and since it was titled in 82 has only covered roughly a thousand miles. It had T-bars on it from a bug along with 14" bus rims with the trim rings when I got it, along with a brown metalic paint job. It was originally L87 Pearl White. Who ever restored it filled in all of the upper trim holes, and also the front and rear badge holes. The interior panels were also all painted a funky brown color (which actually saved the vinyl). It did also have the chrome trim in the window rubber when I got it. I'm just looking to see if anyone does recognize it from back then. If anyone does and has pictures of it please let me know. I would love to see what she used to look like before and after she was restored back then. Thank you

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I added the Hitch and the taillights, along with the bumpers.

1969 fastback,
1965 Notchback, The mother's summer car now! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477439
1986 Jetta Diesel 5spd, Was the beater, now currently undergoing an overhaul
1995 Chevrolet Caprice, The daily driver and tow rig

"You say it's rotted out, I say its weight reduction, better fuel economy Very Happy "
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting find, 8 spokes have a horrible offset for t3's and that monza exhaust is not the best. post some pics of the interior. is the pan matching numbers?

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already know that I'll probably be catching some flack for whats been done to the car. Embarassed My plan with this car is to get it to a point where it is safe to drive, and reliable. I am not planning on restoring her any time in the near future, as I am going to move onto my Fastback once she is ready to drive. It is to solid to mess with, and once it is driving I can slowly repair what does need to be fixed body wise.
The car is far from being original, as it was hit hard in the rear at one point, both front fenders have been changed, and the original motor is long gone. Plus it has the beautiful chocolate brown on it now. Rolling Eyes The good news is the chassis is original. The numbers on it match the apron and the title. It has had both front pan halfs changed tho.
The rims were a Craigslist find. I was looking for tires on a whim one day, and found those cheap. They have almost no mileage on them. So they ended up on her for now. (I have actually gotten quite a few compliments on them)
The exhaust along with the rear bumper came off of my 67 fastback. It is unfortunatly the only muffler I have that is not rotted out. When I can offord to find one I will swap it out as I don't really like the look of it anyway.
I already had all the new brake parts laying around from my fastback, so my parts 67 Square donated its Motor, the front spindals, and the rear drums. I have changed all the brake lines, and did a full brake job. Some say upgrading, some say downgrading it to a 4 lug as that was what I had for parts. I did not throw anything away so don't worry. Everything I took off is tucked away safely on a shelf.
The interior panels apear to originally be a dark brown? on the bottom, and a cream color on top. I will get pics of it and post them hopefully tomorrow. The seats have the same vinyl pattern as a 67?, and are a dark brown. I am guessing the have been recovered or dyed. But I know they are not the original covers. I only have the seats in it at the moment. The panels are all full of mold and the backing is junk. The vinyl is still good and I plan on stripping the paint off of them and reglueing them to a new backing.
The carpet is also gone, the PO to me threw it away. It was full of mold and well chewed up I gues.
I was hoping somebuddy would recognize her from back in the day. I would love to be able to find out her history.
1969 fastback,
1965 Notchback, The mother's summer car now! http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=477439

"You say it's rotted out, I say its weight reduction, better fuel economy Very Happy "
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found a couple of used mufflers, and tracked down a decent pair of doors to replace the ones that are rotted out. Since winters knocking on the door I think I'm going to pull the motor, and go through it. I have a garage to put her away in and be able to get some work done. Hopefully I can actually get her on the road this spring. When I get her down to the garage I will start posting pics and progress of whats getting done. Got to get her ready for the 2012 Invasion trip!
1969 fastback,

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T3+4_Mike wrote:
Well, I found a couple of used mufflers, and tracked down a decent pair of doors to replace the ones that are rotted out. Since winters knocking on the door I think I'm going to pull the motor, and go through it. I have a garage to put her away in and be able to get some work done. Hopefully I can actually get her on the road this spring. When I get her down to the garage I will start posting pics and progress of whats getting done. Got to get her ready for the 2012 Invasion trip!

Keep us updated. I'll look forward to seeing it at the Invasion, or even joining our caravan heading west. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting and update! Unfortunately the Notchback has been sitting idle from the time I posted last up until last week. between work going on with the house and a few other projects/ work for friends and family I haven't had the chance to get any work done to her. I have however got her running again, and she is now registered! I have put a few miles on her now driving her around the block working the bugs out. I had to swap the carbs out for another set I had due to bad bushings and sucking in air. I have a factory exhaust I found and a nice set of heater boxes that will be going on I'm hoping this week. I am planning on pulling the motor now that it is running and driving, I need to give it a very good cleaning. It needs a new rear main, and the exhaust changed and valves adjusted and just a thorough once over. I still need to take pictures if the interior and post them! i just figured I'd give you all an update and let you know I'm still here! and for those of you who celebrate it Merry Christmas!!!
1969 fastback,

T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O, and as long as I have the funds to go and she is running well enough, I will definitely be heading to Colorado for the invasion. I just don't want to say for sure that I am going until I know for sure I am able to. I am looking forward to it tho, and if I do end up going I will definitely be joining the caravan! Hopefully there will be others from Mass that will be going too
1969 fastback,

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know right off hand IF anybody is coming from Mass, but Keith Park is coming from Albany New York. As you get further west, there's more of us. Wink John, Jill, and my wife and I are coming from Michigan, Jim is in Wisconsin, and there are more along the way. Cool
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
EasternNotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike we met at the Brookline show in October I think. I have the white notch that was there. I would like to caravan out to the invasion, would be awesome to see all the amazing cars there. If you are still having carb issues let me know I have several sets of PDSIT's. at least one that you could bolt right on.
1969 Fastback
1989 Doka AFN TDI
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we did meet at the October show EasternNotch! and it would be nice to get a crew from Mass together! I've met Mr. Parks before, he is only a 2-3 hour drive from me, I've bought a few parts off him last year. I had a set of carbs that were good and she is running nice now! Thank you for the offer tho and it I do need a set in the future I know where to look!

Any way, I finally was able to snap a few more pics of the Notchback and the interior, but the camera died before I could get the rest of the interior panels that are out of the car at the moment.

the 1967 gauges before I cleaned them up

After I painted them

The beautiful brown that a PO painted the entire interior Shocked

I have the bottom panels and the rest of the panels but the camera died. The appear to originally be white on top and grey on the bottom

thanks to a previous accident in it lifetime, I now have the incorrect lid for it

closer shot of the accident damage

I hope I did the pics right, I plan on taking more tomorrow of the rest of the interior pieces. I'm pulling the motor tomorrow to since I found a few more oil leaks and it needs a good cleaning.
1969 fastback,

T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot one! a picture of the motor, a 1600 that came out of a 1967 square that I chopped up (same car the gauges came out of)

1969 fastback,

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just remember, when you put the engine back in, to add some tubes from the cooling shroud to the heat exchangers to keep the engine cool. Also add another tube from the air cleaner to the outlet on the right body side of the engine bay, so the engine breathes cool air. These things will help it run better, longer, and cooler. If you already have these items, disregard my comments.

It looks like you're working on cleaning up the interior though. I'm not sure what kind of paint the PO used, but you might try using some MEK (health warning, use it outdoors with plenty of fresh air), as it will help loosen (or disolve) the paint that he shot. It looks like you're making great progress on it though. Look forward to seeing it in person this summer. Cool

It looks like you're missing the seal for the trap door too. You can get them from ISP, or CIP. That will help keep heat and fumes out of the car.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T3+4_Mike,

Have I meet you before? I think I've been to the shop in Winchendon on Maple st? I was there with Roger who has the old Model-A.

Cool Notch dude.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: My 1965 Notchback Reply with quote

well I was able to get the rest of the interior shots today finally, still waiting on nicer rain free weather were I can get more work done to her.
Bobnotch, I do have all the missing pieces, I didn't put them on yet as I knew I would be taking the engine out a few more times! I do also have that rubber seal you are talking about, I want to clean up the trunk floor before I put it in. The motor that is in it was supposed to be temporary so i could have it movable while I built another motor for it. But it runs too good and the 1600 is plenty of power for me so I decided I am just going to clean it up and leave it. It is in need of a few new seals and its missing a few things, plus the tin work is rusted.
60vwnewengland we met at the Heberts show last summer! That's my buddies shop on Spruce* St.

Here are the interior pieces and the new doors I got for her

1969 fastback,

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: My 1965 Notchback Reply with quote

T3+4_Mike wrote:
well I was able to get the rest of the interior shots today finally, still waiting on nicer rain free weather were I can get more work done to her.

Here are the interior pieces and the new doors I got for her

That top piece in the 1st pic is for a late bug, so you won't need it.

You're also going to need to find some conversion hinges, since you've got a pair of 67 Squareback doors, with 2 bolt hinges, and your car has 3 bolt hinges. I think Phillip (Notched in Oregon) has some pics of doing the swap posted somewhere (maybe in his build) you can look at, and see what needs to be done. You'll probably have to convert the door latch guts to your earlier style too, unless you got the 67 only door handles (they're different from the 66 and earliers). Nice score on the doors though. I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That top piece in the 1st pic is for a late bug, so you won't need it.

Thank you for letting me know what that piece was. Very Happy The guy I bought the car from couldn't remember if it went to the car or not so he threw it in with the rest of the boxes of parts that came with the car. I've never seen one before so I didn't know if it did or not either, been looking at it wondering where it would have fit in the car Confused ( I bought the car last May. It was all in pieces with the fenders just hanging on by a few bolts) Its been a fun "puzzle" putting her back together. The car also came with a fairly solid 66 squareback pan that I'm hopefully going to be using on my 67 squareback! I also got both bumper, a little bent up but usable, and a spare set of front seats that went to a new friends 65 squareback that was missing them when he bought it.

The doors came from the same guy, he was going to keep them for his 65 Notch, but they were different, and he ended up having to move cross country so he couldn't hang on to much stuff. (the car was all most pristine low mileage with one repaint. The door had been hit at one point and they must have filled it quit a bit as it was starting to crack) So I struck a deal with him and ended up with the two doors, a spare rear Notch fender, and a couple of boxes of the hard to find little interior and trim pieces. Plus extra bolts all bagged and tagged what they came from and a couple wiper motors. Shocked I think the door handles were in the boxes but I will have to check? Will the door look cylinders fit from the 65 to the 67? I know the handle wont. I do have a junk set of 67 only doors that are still complete but I never got the keys to the car they came off of.

I have hinges in the works already, when I had the doors off I made templets of the hinges, and I have a piece of plate steel the same thickness that I am going to make the new hinges out of. I'm going to look him up now and see if I'm on the same page. I will definitely be posting pics of any work that I do to her! I know I like looking at them on other posts so I figure I'd post some of my project for everyone to see. HOPEfully everyone that is going to the 2012 Invasion will be able to see my ugly Embarassed little car in person!

Ooh, and before I forget to ask again, is there anyway possible to change the post title? I tried searching around a little the other night but didn' seem to find anything on how to. But I also didn't have much time to look so I probably missed how to somewhere?
1969 fastback,

Last edited by T3+4_Mike on Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T3+4_Mike wrote:
HOPEfully everyone that is going to the 2012 Invasion will be able to see my ugly Embarassed little car in person!

Ooh, and before I forget to ask again, is there anyway possible to change the post title? I tried searching around a little the other night but didn' seem to find anything on how to. But I also didn't have much time to look so I probably missed how to somewhere?

We'll look forward to seeing it. Cool

As for changing the title of the thread, contact Everett, as he can change it for you. You can do that by PM ing him.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
T3+4_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
T3+4_Mike wrote:
HOPEfully everyone that is going to the 2012 Invasion will be able to see my ugly Embarassed little car in person!

We'll look forward to seeing it. Cool

As for changing the title of the thread, contact Everett, as he can change it for you. You can do that by PM ing him.

Thank you I just sent him a message to try to change it.
1969 fastback,

EatACactus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see another project from someone in Mass!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
dragsters for life
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notches rule
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: