Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Autocraft vs. Klassicfab vs. Wolfsburg West vs. BBT
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDSBSS23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to share an experience with KF lower dogleg. I do like the outer dogleg but the inner dogleg doesn't match the outer dogleg. It was a pita to make it work. Unfortunately I will need to go back to fix up the piece to align it better. Great part but poor fitting. I do wish there was another company making those pieces so I could compare. I do understand KF does great work but hoping this feedback will help them out.
Pillar repair with 65 bus
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=530360
Daniel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Nsqback wrote:
StockNazi wrote:
Does anyone offer a outter skylight skin w/o windows that has the sunroof slider rail?

I have a 59 std that has a wasted roof from the front crossmember back; would be a great candidate for a sunroof convesion.

Gerson -KF- will make anything "By request"

That is the great thing with Gerson I don't think WW or AC offers that part or that kind of a "request service" ...

Autocraft made these bits up for me, just emailed them and asked. They have a guy there who specializes in making the custom or one-off parts.

Pieces that go along above the cargo doors, attaches under the gutter, match very well to the original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

lumber-baron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65Nsqback wrote:
Has anyone bought one of the WW decklids ?

I bought one, it looked great out of the box, but when I installed it it was about 3/16" too narrow on the left side. Had to weld a patch on the edge to get a good fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camerod
Volksfab

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumber-baron wrote:
65Nsqback wrote:

I bought one, it looked great out of the box, but when I installed it it was about 3/16" too narrow on the left side. Had to weld a patch on the edge to get a good fit.

I installed a WW decklid recently as well. I didn't have any width issues but I did notice that it seemed to hang a little low and it needed to be fully bodyworked due to dimples where they spot welded the inner frame to the outer skin. Overall it's a descent part just plan on fitting it to your bus prior to paint/bodywork.
65Nsqback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lumber-baron wrote:
65Nsqback wrote:

Oh great. Sad

I haven't tried to test fit mine yet

I bought one and I had the same thought as you "out of the box" looks great but upon closer review I noticed it only has about six spot welds (20 less the an original) from the inner frame to the outer skin Shocked then looking at the outer skin a little closer I notice around the top of it (hinge area) it's low or over pressed and will need filler or reworked at the very least ....needless to say it won't be going on my bus ...

I'm Trying to help you.......but you don't hear me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently replaced my KF quarter with a AC quarter. There is a huge difference in the quality of the parts. Oh, and I'm still out several hundred dollars for the defective KF parts I shipped back and never got a refund/new parts/reach-around. I have a bunch more that I didn't send because I didn't have a box. They're still sitting on the rack behind my shop.

I had cell phone pix of the difference in the lip and profile, but they looked like they were taken by Michael J Fox.

KlassicFab on the left, AutoCraft on the right

AutoCraft

KlassicFab

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edge of the ac piece looks disturbed, if you measure it with a micrometer it may measure out a lot closer.
mr white
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a caliper with "tits" like used for checking the middle of brake rotors would work good for this. I am finding the AC metal offered I have used to be very good,very crisp,fits nicely.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have experience with the WW cargo floors? They are new stampings like the fronts, right?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Anyone have experience with the WW cargo floors? They are new stampings like the fronts, right?

They are OK. Definitely a little on the thin side, especially compared to KF. More of a one size fits all piece. Also, they are missing the lip on the rear of the floor that welds to the rear slope piece that goes in between the wheel wells.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
crofty wrote:

They are OK. Definitely a little on the thin side, especially compared to KF. More of a one size fits all piece. Also, they are missing the lip on the rear of the floor that welds to the rear slope piece that goes in between the wheel wells.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211801404K

These?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
crofty wrote:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211801404K

These?

Yes
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

funny how the description says made by WW.. Laughing Laughing Laughing ...maybe made for WW........

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care where it's made as long as it fits and is correct.

WW produces more VW specific stuff than any vendor out there, be thankful you only have to deal with sheet metal.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerson, have you bought your own steel mill yet?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this vision of Gerson's shop similar to what they showed on Wheeler Dealer with that company that makes parts for the Jensen Interceptor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_dxm3GBfcQ

Go to the 18:30 mark to see what I'm talking about. Pretty hefty machine stamping out new parts.
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW does not produce or make parts, they go to china and contract the making of a part, or source parts.....there is a world of difference between this and actually manufacturing a part...HUGE difference. ....

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WW outrigger on the left, KF on the right. Notice the 'square' punch outs. Also the WW metal is thicker. No drain hole for KF and the ends of the KF one are pretty badly shaped. The 'flap' is just kinda there where the WW has a pronounced and correct extra bend. Overall bends/cuts on the KF look home made, where as the WW ones look laser cut.

Last edited by dawerks on Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerson wrote:
WW does not produce or make parts, they go to china and contract the making of a part, or source parts.....there is a world of difference between this and actually manufacturing a part...HUGE difference. ....

So Ford doesn't make cars since they have Chinese contractors make all of their electronics, Goodyear provide tires, DuPont mix up paint, etc.

Of course WW has other companies manufacture parts for them, they carry THOUSANDS of parts. They also go through the process to have the parts made in the first place which is no easy task either when you are talking about rubber seals, screws, carpets and other things that have to fit perfect every time.

You would be extremely lucky to last as long as WW has in this hobby and be as respected.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind this thread is not to determine who makes the best but the quality and fit of the parts. I know Gerson has pride in what he does since it is all in house, as I'm sure the other vendors take pride in sourcing out the best places to make their metal. This thread points out difference in the metal and also allows the vendors to correct any mistakes.
Above all the quality and the parts that can be purchased now is 100% better than what it was when I welded metal on my first bus. Keep on keeping on peoples!
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Jump to:
Page 28 of 39

Jump to: