Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double relay/alternate use?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott can help you out with this one.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16928&cat=&page=2

I bought one and never got it installed. What I have used for years is a plastic inline fuse mounted high in the engine compartment. If a fire starts the plastic fuse housing isn't going to last more than a few seconds before it melts causing the circuit to open thus shutting off power to the pump.

The additional problem you have on a bus is that the fuel may continue to flow by gravity because of the high tank location even if the fuel pump is not running. I have my fuel pump mounted high in the engine compartment and being fed by a steel line. If I get an engine fire the rubber hose between the pump and the carb will burn off breaking the syphon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
shaunone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the information I was looking for. It seems like there are quite a few options, but I like the points trigger method the best. That being said, if the relay does fail, and 'sticks' on, wouldn't that cause the pump to run steady? I guess this is where the secondary hard switch would prove fail-safe. How would you route this to the dash?

I put the horn next to my ear and I could hear the ocean.
When I hooked up the battery I couldn't hear anything for three days.

1977 Westfalia with a 1974 1800 Type 4 engine
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the relay module cited is designed for this service, the probability of 'stuck on' failure is low. The pump just doesn't draw all that much current...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:
As the relay module cited is designed for this service, the probability of 'stuck on' failure is low. The pump just doesn't draw all that much current...

I would agree, The stick "ON" failure rate is probably one in 1,000 units or less.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Millions and millions and millions of Rabbits used this relay... for decades and decades and decades. I logged a few of them myself.

At this point I'd suggest drive more, worry less??!! Wink
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
greenbus pilot wrote:
Find a FUEL PUMP RELAY from an early Rabbit, etc and use that. It has an additional input from the ignition circuit- if the engine stops, so does the pump. I assume it has a logic circuit Rolling Eyes

That's neat, would be easier than plumbing in a Oil Press. Switch. I am not familiar with with Rabbits do you remember about what year vehicle they came in?
Thank You

I found this one at Busdepot,various applications through 1982--
http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=321906059C

These were used in all CIS injected water cooled Volkswagens, and are easy to find at the salvage yard, along with the nice neat socket to wire it. Check your Bentley or Haynes for diagram, nothing exotic- just an additional wire for the ignition circuit. I would not put it in the engine compartment, but somewhere cooler, as maybe under the rear seat or someplace.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Fuel Hoses Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote, The additional problem you have on a bus is that the fuel may continue to flow by gravity.
I am concerned about this too. I have not had a chance to research it yet but I have thought about using marine grade fuel hose. Problem may be finding it in the correct size????
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hoses Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Wildthings wrote, The additional problem you have on a bus is that the fuel may continue to flow by gravity.
I am concerned about this too. I have not had a chance to research it yet but I have thought about using marine grade fuel hose. Problem may be finding it in the correct size????

I did a little testing a year or so ago, trying all sorts of fuel line to see which was the most fire resistant. The 30R9 Fuel Injection rated hose took longer to burn through than the so call "fire resistant" marine hose.
shaunone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can anyone tell me where I might find this relay on the rabbit or vanagon?

I put the horn next to my ear and I could hear the ocean.
When I hooked up the battery I couldn't hear anything for three days.

1977 Westfalia with a 1974 1800 Type 4 engine
Vince Waldon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shaunone wrote:
can anyone tell me where I might find this relay on the rabbit

It's on the fusepanel behind the driver's kneepanel... you'll recognize it because it's the only relay with a fuse on it.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Hoses Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Tcash wrote:

I did a little testing a year or so ago, trying all sorts of fuel line to see which was the most fire resistant. The 30R9 Fuel Injection rated hose took longer to burn through than the so call "fire resistant" marine hose.

Thank You Wildthings, I posted a link to Goodyear

SAE30R9
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: