Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV Joint Boots
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jennajaymes310
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: CV Joint Boots Reply with quote

My CV joint boots are torn (all 4) and need to be replaced. The joints themselves seem to be ok (no noises from them), but i need some advice on which products to buy to complete this project. Would i just need the boot kits with grease or am i missing something?
bedfordd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CV Joint Boots Reply with quote

Do you know how long they've been ripped? If not I imagine the bearings could have ground some dirt on those bearings for a while.

In the last year I replaced my bearings/boot and the boot ripped w/i 6 weeks. I caught them within 2 days of them ripping so I just bought new boots & grease. I'd recommend doing boot/bearings if you've never done them before but just boots is much easier...
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna, get out your Bentley service manual, you will need it. You will need boot kits at the minimum. And take apart, clean, inspect, reassemble, and lube the 4 joints like the book shows. With shot boots the joints chances are have been contaminated so you need to go thru them. Walt probably has boot kits.
P.S., siblings are probably at Whiskytown now. Or they just were there or will be soon. Too far for me to drive from AZ.
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i priced them for my 69 it was cheaper $115 per side to replace the whole axle...new cv's... new boots ...new grease....new axle one suggestion;I made a cardboard holder out of part of the box to hold the cv joints perpendicular to the axles while i attatched the other end,if you let it flop around and fall out you have to put them back together Cool found a good car show in san antonio last night
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be the easiest way to go.

Gramps, when you swing by here if it's on any Saturday we can do the car show here also.
BusterBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grandpa pete wrote:
when i priced them for my 69 it was cheaper $115 per side to replace the whole axle...new cv's... new boots ...new grease....new axle one suggestion;I made a cardboard holder out of part of the box to hold the cv joints perpendicular to the axles while i attatched the other end,if you let it flop around and fall out you have to put them back together Cool found a good car show in san antonio last night

grandpa pete, where did you get those axles? Are you happy with them so far?

Life is short. Can I have some of yours?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repacking the CV's is a maintenance item. Boot replacement follows as they don't last forever. But I've driven bay window bus' since 1975 and have never had to replace a cv joint because of wear. As a dealer tech we don't always maintain our own rides as well as our customers. But as a dealer tech we were told to replace cv joints that showed any wear in the area where the ball contacted. Thus, I was able to collect a number of vanagon cv joints that, with the proper moly grease, will last a long time.
So, if the cv's don't show an unusual wear, I would be confident in saying as long as the cv joint has a good boot and the proper grease, one should be able to use the original joints a long time.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this read to be pretty handy.

http://www.type2.com/bartnik/cvjoints.htm

Long term you are better off repacking the joints you have now as opposed to buying cheap half shafts.

I have used those repack kits with good success....

http://www.busdepot.com/catalog.jsp?model=57&category=24&group=51&prodgroup=846

A couple of things that are handy to have are the correct 8mm triple square socket, a decent pair of circlip pliers, 4 plastic coffee cans (to keep each joint separate in their own degreaser can), and a 2 or 3 jaw gear puller from Sears. While a bench vise is handy here, a Black and Decker "Work Mate" or a picnic table will do as something to hold the half shaft up as you work on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boots are not cracked yet and my bus has been sitting since 1985 Shocked Cool. I believe they are oem boots.
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't beat good OG boots, only problem is where are they hiding? I replace both boots on the drivers side of my bay 2 1/2 months before it touched pavement, they were showing signs of cracking when it rolled out of my garage. Last week I saw definite signs of them both going south with less than 8,000 miles. Will probably be replacing them before winter. I have seen factory boots that lasted for more than 10 years. Any one got any ideas on who has the best?
bigbore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had soooooooooo many new boots go bad in just a few miles or months so I have been pulling axles off my bus's in my yard and finding the good stock boots cleaning them and reusing them. even with small weather checking they have been lasting for years not bad for recycling. I would get some from Scott at german supply if I were buy them now. just going to your flaps is just to much of a gamble.
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard at shows that people have been lucky with empi boot from cip1
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the main reason these boot crack are the particulates in the air. We used to see it in LA from the smog. What I noticed is that rubber that had Cosmoline or paint on it did not crack. I have been wondereing is keeping wax or Cosmoline on them (WaxOyl etc) will extend their lives.
cool karmann collected
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CV boots for buses are available in a wide variety of qualities and you'll need to check with whoever you buy from exactly which brand they are selling. My own personal experience (other than the OG boots which lasted 39 years) is that MEYLE brand boots are poor quality. I fitted 4 of these early last year and they showed surface cracking within 500 miles, by May of this year, at least one had split completely and the others were well on their way to tearing also. This time around I've fitted a set of FEBI branded boots, they're made in Germany (really) and so far, after around 1200 miles they look fine.

One-year old MEYLE brand boot

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was installed correctly but I thought it looked too stretched...

With the latest set, I didn't push the small end of the boot over the location 'hump' on the axle, my reasoning being that it will reduce the strain on the ribs of the boot, especially the last one where the last boot split, not 'correct' I know, but that's how I'm rollin'.

A bit blurred, but proof that German made boots are still available new

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they need to be stretched out a little
I had made the same presumption, but the rubber touches itself while it's rotating and any dirt/grit on the surface wears out the rubber of the boot PDQ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nodrenim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Empi bus boots, but I got a set for my type three a couple of years ago and one of them completely disentigrated in about 3 months and the others went shortly after.
lost&out
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool karmann collected wrote:
With the latest set, I didn't push the small end of the boot over the location 'hump' on the axle, my reasoning being that it will reduce the strain on the ribs of the boot, especially the last one where the last boot split, not 'correct' I know, but that's how I'm rollin'.

I'd say that's the best tip with boots. That makes the boot last longer, sooo much longer. x2
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've already beat this topic to death a few times in the past. Probably about every 6 months. Although if I said nothing changes in 6 months that would be wrong. What we've (Samba folks) have found that a particular brand or supplier might be good but their next shipment might not be. What was good a year or 5 years ago might be junk now. And the junk brand in the past might be great now. There is no consistancy.

Jenna, just go next door and get what Bus Boys has. Tell him that if they don't hold up and you wasted your labor time that you will ram your bus through the front of his shop. It's about time that the suppliers started getting concerned and started standing behind their products. And I don't mean just giving you a new replacement if you walk in with a rotted one they sold.

A while back our gal had a local shop do her axles. A couple years later the boots were ripped. She went back and they redid the axles. I don't remember the boot brands but the replacements held up. So the shop ate some big labor costs. I hope they turned around and put big pressure on the supplier or the manufacturer. It's about time they start taking responsability unstead of being wimps. Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
We've already beat this topic to death a few times in the past. Probably about every 6 months. Although if I said nothing changes in 6 months that would be wrong. What we've (Samba folks) have found that a particular brand or supplier might be good but their next shipment might not be. What was good a year or 5 years ago might be junk now. And the junk brand in the past might be great now. There is no consistancy.

Jenna, just go next door and get what Bus Boys has. Tell him that if they don't hold up and you wasted your labor time that you will ram your bus through the front of his shop. It's about time that the suppliers started getting concerned and started standing behind their products. And I don't mean just giving you a new replacement if you walk in with a rotted one they sold.

A while back our gal had a local shop do her axles. A couple years later the boots were ripped. She went back and they redid the axles. I don't remember the boot brands but the replacements held up. So the shop ate some big labor costs. I hope they turned around and put big pressure on the supplier or the manufacturer. It's about time they start taking responsability unstead of being wimps. Shocked

Hi Mike - in many cases they may not know better than their suppliers. Many of our vendors order from a warehouse who ships them to the customer. I suspect these issues are happening at the factory end where XYZ gets a deal from their supplier and repackages them without knowing the parts aren't going to last. I do know that whomever makes the Acura rubber CV boots gets 100,000 - 200.000 miles per set so it can be done.
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been down the Rotten CV Boot Path a few times. Some lasted a month. My last set was from BusBoys. Still good after about 5 years. They are a stiffer plastic than the nice German ones.
How come my domestic American vehicles' boots last so long? ten years and still look fine. Maybe a better grade of material; some aftermarket stuff is made of the same material.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: