Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

5.9 Cummins in my 73 bug?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackyboy1893 wrote:
Why couldn't it be a daily driver? It has been for almost 8 months and been fine. It's just not quick enough. I've given up on the diesel or Tue subaru, just someone please explain where I can get the parts, what parts I would need, as in engine upgrades, suspension, and braking parts. I will stick with the 1600 but want to upgrade it. If I could at least go 85 I'd be happy. I know this is possible, I just don't know exactly how, that is what I'm asking. Not whether it not I van do it. I can do it, would take a little while, but I have a two week break coming up, so I could have a buddy help me with it.

I am also a full time student but I am in the automotive program Very Happy the thing is that I would stay aircooled and build a 1915 and get a freeway flyer trans. and if you really want to go fast add a turbo. But buying low quality parts is not going to get you a reliably engine. This route will be alot cheaper then a v8 conversion. It would take alot of time and money to do it when you cut out the front trunk area you are taking out all of the structure in the body and if you were to get in a front end collision your bug would be a total loss. Plus if you don't know how to weld or you can, would you trust those welds with our life Question . Think about it you would have to redesign the whole front and rear suspension to handle the weigh which the front beam can't support, relocate the gas tank, add a rear axle, get a custom drive shaft, bigger brakes, rewiring the whole car, figuring where the trans is going to go, how to cool the engine, how to route the exhaust, oil pan and trans pan clearance, Air intake.

I have only seen this done once.That was at turkey run, the guy said it cost him 92,000 Shocked. And it was some of the best custom work i have ever seen. I have to look through my pictures and see if i can find it.

but I would go for it Very Happy . The hardest part is the wiring with all of the modern ecu and sensors. Just make sure that when you get your engine that there is some kind of paperwork verifying how many miles are on it.
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus

Last edited by bugger101 on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
candymustang65
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I see another Lame Ass post like this you will all be sufferin thru the official version of the Red Neck Porsche motor in a V.W. story .
You all know the one Im talkin about .
Where the Rich kidd wreck's his Porsche with his girl freind at a spectacular speed of 200 MPH on his honeymoon.
Yeah the one where they find her severd finger in the intake with the huge wedding rock still on it after buying the engine out of the wrecked car .
Yupp same stupid story you Jetrho's been tellin for year's everytime you get a few beer's in ya ? LMAO Twisted Evil
Cause I hate listening to that story !
But I surely love to tell it just so I can watch you all cringe and suffer thru it for the 1000 th time . Twisted Evil
Sean
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lois wrote:
I don't know Peter, meth is a hell of a drug.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vpatrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez. Kid just wanted some advice on whether it was possible or not. 3 pages of posts but if you weed out all the Dr Phil comments about the importance of his education and his financial situation, there was only a couple of posts that seemed to answer his question as he requested it be answered.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpatrol wrote:
geez. Kid just wanted some advice on whether it was possible or not. 3 pages of posts but if you weed out all the Dr Phil comments about the importance of his education and his financial situation, there was only a couple of posts that seemed to answer his question as he requested it be answered.

Wow, your post was full of helpful information for the poster. Hey thanks. Rolling Eyes
vpatrol
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
vpatrol wrote:

Wow, your post was full of helpful information for the poster. Hey thanks. Rolling Eyes

Technically it is. It says to listen to those who gave technical advice and ignore the ones who are making calls related to his personal life (ex. time allocated to his education, finances etc). I'm making a giant leap of faith in saying he probably joined for the technical knowledge of the forum as opposed to life coaching. I'm not going to get into a pissing match if that's what you are hoping for. I read the thread because I was curious about the content. It seems to have gotten away from what the forum is very good at though.
johnnypan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lois wrote:

Ya gotta pass the pipe,the trouble starts when ya dont pass it..
doc1369
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpatrol wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
vpatrol wrote:

Technically it is. It says to listen to those who gave technical advice and ignore the ones who are making calls related to his personal life (ex. time allocated to his education, finances etc). I'm making a giant leap of faith in saying he probably joined for the technical knowledge of the forum as opposed to life coaching. I'm not going to get into a pissing match if that's what you are hoping for. I read the thread because I was curious about the content. It seems to have gotten away from what the forum is very good at though.

I heard one of the best sayings on this site once. "Ask for the time on the internet and 20 people will argue about how to build a clock" Laughing . he asked his question on the internet and should understand what that means, so should you Wink .

He did ask how to put a diesel engine in a ACVW. Anyone who could pull that off doesn't need to ask. I think it would be cool as hell if he pulled it off.

On topic, I looked around the lot today and I think you would have a much easier time using a Mercedes sprinter diesel engine.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vpatrol wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
vpatrol wrote:

Sorry, just don't see it.

Last edited by 69 Jim on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
smokey503
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lois wrote:

HaHaHaHa!!!! Just watched that episode.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: