Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 seat recline problem
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtdorajohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: 1972 seat recline problem Reply with quote

I am having an issue with my new 1972 Super Beetle.

The passenger seat recline adjuster seems to shift itself from the upright position to the gangster recline position all on it's own, while people are sitting in the seat. I lubricated the adjusters thinking that the unlatch clip was pulling on the adjuster, but no luck, it still auto reclines as you ride along. The springs are in place for the unlatch clip on both sides..

Any suggestions, exploded view pictures of the seat mechanism, and advice would be greatly welcome. Thanks,
mtdorajohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

worked on the problem last night and still don't have an answer.

Any suggestions?
mtdorajohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I took the seat out, tipped it on it's side and squeezed penetrating oil down the long shaft where the adjuster/seat hook is and worked it until oil came out the other end.

I am thinking that the hook portion is tight and the movement of the seat back causes the hook to move up and down. That up and down movement is slowly moving the recliner knob causing it to click to the next position.

I further put a tie-wrap around the recliner knob stop in hopes that it will keep it in place.

I'll keep you posted and still would like an exploded view and/or how to guide.

Thanks,
vw_hank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's not A 69 thing Laughing the driver seat in my 69 would throw you back when you left from A stop. it was just that the lock part was worn out. how to fix? I dont know I never looked into it. i'm thinking its the gears in the ratchet mechanism are worn out, mabe need to weld on some metal and reshape them? but like I said I never looked into it so I dont know what the fix would be..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: