Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Photos of your Volksrod Exhaust
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loren in MN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Exhaust for Volksrod Reply with quote

I'll try to post some picts here of the exhaust on my 69 bug. Has front bumper made from a 32 Ford spring, it was chopped in rear and front before I bought it. It was too far gone to really try a true restoration. I hope to complete the body work and paint this spring.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ As previously seen on Volksrods.com..... Wink

Laughing

This would be a good Volksrod exhaust specific topic..
....Post em' if ya got em'

Loren... If you can hear me.... . I like the way ya think.... (as ya know)

I love the side exhaust look on a Volksrod.... hate the noise blaring in my ears.. so just wear ear buds and crank up the Rockabilly.

I was going to use full lake pipes on Operation X with the exit up front but decided.. this looked fit my application better in the end.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren in MN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Volksrod Exhaust Reply with quote

I like the three pipe look. Do you have any muffler system under there? Mine is a bit loud but not too bad with the built in glasspack in the pipes and the added pak under the car. I don't like alot of noise, so do wish I'd tried a short standard muffler in place of the extra glasspack. Still it sounds really cool to these old ears. Think I'm starting my second childhood.

Got a neighbor who's turned 86, he's upgrading a 98 Chev PU with horns, rear camera, fog lights (he doesn't drive at night), built in air comp, running boards, hand/ gaurd rails on box, rear steps -both sides, lowered alum tool box, and rear box light. He can't sleep at night so tries to be productive. At times I think he should take sleeping pills. But this is another story!

Nice picture, thanks for sharing and thanks for helping to encourage Volksrodders to join this site. Great bunch of people and interesting rides all of them! All cars have a story to tell.
Wish I would have had the money and ability to restore the 1924 Henney hearse -last licensed in 1935 that I bought back in 2003. It had priming cups next to all six sparkplugs on the Continental eng. It now resides north side of Detroit.

Last edited by Loren in MN on Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Volksrod Exhaust Reply with quote

Loren in MN wrote:
Do you have any muffler system under there? .

Yeah..Currently.... 2 round Tractor Supply Diesel tractor mufflers..... In other words.. 2 big perforated steel cans with a freeze plug in the center..surprisingly good flow though.. Laughing
I went from glass packs to those in hopes .. they did take out some harshness.. but.. still a pain in the ear after the first hours drive.... at 3k RPM and 70 mph...
Mine makes quite a bit more annoying flat buzz noise than most..

Yours having more pipe to the front ... = luxury of the extra metal mass to help suck up the noise...

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine. I used a standard Thunderbird big flange header and I made my own collector and welded the small glass pack muffler I got from a local muffler shop. Sounds good but like VOLKSWAGNUT said, it can get annoying after a few hours on the hwy. I am used to it now. The 10+ hour trips don't bother me as much now.
Tim
Loren in MN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volkswagnut,
Do you have any trouble with the way your engine is running with that exhaust layout?
I've not noticed any difference and mine starts out as 1 3/4" on each cyl then one side is merged into a 2" union, from there, a 2 1/8"dia flexpipe, then 2 1/4" in/out of a pak for each side, then with about 4ft of 2 1/4" straight pipe to an elbow into 2 1/2" inlet of the sidepipe -by the time the exhaust exits the tube it has traveled about 9ft to the 3" exit in front of the rear wheels. Guess I'll wait and see if I have any trouble with very little back pressure? I haven't noticed any low end lag but then I'm not trying to race anything either.
This setup does give it a throaty tone, sort of like a Harley.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loren in MN wrote:
Volkswagnut,
Do you have any trouble with the way your engine is running with that exhaust layout? .

Um.... nope mine runs perfect....but it's not the typical VW power. Wink so not the one to judge it. See below....

Words of advice to pass along using a VW engine and true separated dual bank exhaust. The dual exhaust needs a crossover for optimum performance and scavenging. Basically its all about the amount crankshaft degrees of rotation vs the cylinder firing order. Even engines using old dual buggy cannons and zooms suffer with the lack of a crossover.

Whoever let these two park next to each other is asking for a rumble. Laughing

Usually and often edited
rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear those two like to stir up some trouble. Dang rebels with their rock-a-billy music. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I had the low mount zoomies on mine for a while. Got tired of taking them off to adjust the valves and didn't care for the sound. It runs better with the standard sedan type header.
Tim
Loren in MN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pict of rear, with the G-Down headers I should have enough space to reach the valve covers.
You may wonder about the white tabs all around the engine, when the fenders were chopped by the previous owners, all the wiring was just cut off. I had to mark all wires to put things together again. This was also an Autostick Beetle when I bought it, I had to change it to manual shift.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had 'the look', Duals w/ flamethrowers Evil or Very Mad ,ran like ass,sounded like a Harly Rolling Eyes mileage was for shit Confused
1 3/8 merged and ran like I just rebuilt it Very Happy mileage went way up too Wink
but I don't drive it as often as my bus so It's for sale Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Loren in MN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: 1966 Baja exhaust Reply with quote

This is the more common exhaust found on Dune buggies and Baja Beetles. It's nothing special yet looks fine and sounds good. This 1966 Baja of mine came with a pancake engine set up with a carb from a 1947 Chev. Runs and idles quite well.

rgdedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears not to have the cooling tins on the cylinder heads. Shocked You need to replace them with the ones for a type 3 engine ASAP.
Tim
Loren in MN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any picts of different exhaust styles on their volksrods? Have they worked out well or not?

Lets see what you got!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: