Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig bumper ? SWEET
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the bumper, and the video production of top notch. Very cool, good work Bostig!

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I see those kinds of bumpers, I just don't always know what to think.

The vans are pretty stout in the front, so the bumper was always sort of just there for looks anyways.

Integrating a full body roll cage sure is awfully useful for the off road crowd.

They are hitting a small segment of our total niche market. Not a huge group. While there are always a few that will buy anything, others try to weigh if the item is just creating a need we did not have before we saw it.

After being around these vans for a couple of decades, hammering out a bent bumper every now and then has just been fine for me.

I am a low level abuser, though.

No doubt that damage protection system is well thought out and serves a purpose for some, the general Vanagon owner will think a lot before stepping up for such a set up.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
The Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been half thinking about either using a big piece of white oak for bumpers....or using my fine (not) welding skills to fab up a custom bumper. How hard could it be?

These niche shops who make a cool products for a not so cool price seem to miss the mark when it comes to reality. Seeing such things just encourage me to say screw em...and try to make my own.

In such cases I have to refer to this $600 product. It's a portable AC for a plane. Basically a cooler with an icebox and coil which sucks in hot air and let out cool air. It's worth $200 max on a good day. Though they sell because most pilots are used to paying big prices for little product/service. I am a grounded cheap pilot... Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raven wrote:

These niche shops who make a cool products for a not so cool price seem to miss the mark when it comes to reality. Seeing such things just encourage me to say screw em...and try to make my own.

Do you work for a living?
How much do you think your time is worth? How much would have to charge hourly to make even a slim profit? Don't forget overhead like rent and utilities and maybe benefits if you are being generous. Standard is 3x hourly wage.
Check what steel costs these days. Add consumeables like welding gas, filler, and grinding wheels. That bumper would be a bargin at $600.
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very cool to see the engineering behind the product.

Buuuut, it is still too big and bulky for my taste (and needs... or wants I guess).

I've seen some really sweet bumpers on the SDM '11 and Mog Fest photos. Seth (syncrozilla) and I think Frankensyncro (or whatever the name is - sorry) have the besty bumpers I've seen to date. Seths were custom Burely piece$, and frankensyncro built his own (front only).

Small (lowest profile possible), aesthetic, and well built. Until that day comes, I'll be keeping my stock bumpers.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with the roof racks? The ones cutting the OE plastic basket up top...those look pretty neat, but I'm not sure how it would look in real life.

Has anybody done an integrated setup like that?
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White Oak Bumpers! Yeah! I love it! Applause Applause Applause
AnmlMthrM60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan on building my own as well. But I am interested in the price of their DIY kit.
69 Bug - 1776cc
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone is putting some thought on how a bumper functions as well as it looks. I think that the bumper could be slimmed down a bit more, but they are on the right track. The syncro crowd finally has a option that takes into consideration of actually using it off road.

Wooden bumpers on a VW? Never seen that before Rolling Eyes
The Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
The Raven wrote:

How much do you think your time is worth? How much would have to charge hourly to make even a slim profit? Don't forget overhead like rent and utilities and maybe benefits if you are being generous. Standard is 3x hourly wage.
Check what steel costs these days. Add consumeables like welding gas, filler, and grinding wheels. That bumper would be a bargin at $600.

Well, if you can get a comparable Jeep bumper for $400 like this one, there is no reason why companies charge what they do for Vanagons. I'm beginning to see it as the GW syndrome.

SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="syncrodoka"]The vanagon crowd finally has a option that takes into consideration of actually using it off road.[quote]
Fixed that for you...2wd vans get offroad love too. Twisted Evil
SWbySWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that Bostig sounds like they solved the frame tie-in issue which plagues so many unibodies (Including some Jeeps). A tie-in will not only provide flex resistance for the body, but also help in the event of pulling out a stuck vanagon...especially if it's a Westy. I don't really trust that little tow loop under the stock bumper for squat.

Last edited by SWbySWesty on Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SWbySWesty"][quote="syncrodoka"]The vanagon crowd finally has a option that takes into consideration of actually using it off road.
Quote:

Fixed that for you...2wd vans get offroad love too. Twisted Evil

True, but there are far fewer that are willing to test the limits of a 2wd. Respect goes out to those that go out and flog their 2wd for glory.
BushChicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Raven wrote:
buildyourown wrote:
The Raven wrote:

Well, if you can get a comparable Jeep bumper for $400 like this one, there is no reason why companies charge what they do for Vanagons. I'm beginning to see it as the GW syndrome.

The answer lies in volume my friend. How many Jeeps are there versus Vanagons?
epaddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BushChicken wrote:
The Raven wrote:
buildyourown wrote:
The Raven wrote:

Exactly right about volume and price. Some days it seems like I see 20 jeeps a day driving around. As for GW syndrome, and the other companies charging what they do for Vanagon specific items, I'm just glad they are in business at all. When you are trying to keep a 20-plus year-old vehicle on the road, paying $200 more for a bumper designed specifically for that vehicle doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. I appreciate the fact that we have several different options for improving the bumpers, wheels, roof racks, suspension, engines, etc., on these vehicles. I'm not sure that I would have purchased my Vanagon and begun this restoration project if there weren't such vendors out there making it all possible.
bquigs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:

This is as simple as it gets, a white oak beam bolted to the stock bumper brackets. It has proven itself too, been bumbed pretty good at a light without damage. Not sure how you would do this up front though, but I have considered trying. Maybe some sort of glued-up laminated beam to match the shape of the front. White oak isnt cheep either though!

The Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bquigs wrote:
PDXWesty wrote:

This is as simple as it gets, a white oak beam bolted to the stock bumper brackets. It has proven itself too, been bumbed pretty good at a light without damage. Not sure how you would do this up front though, but I have considered trying. Maybe some sort of glued-up laminated beam to match the shape of the front. White oak isnt cheep either though!

and for the cost of a bostic....you can get over 40 bumpers and 1/20th the weight.
The Raven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epaddler wrote:
BushChicken wrote:
The Raven wrote:
buildyourown wrote:
The Raven wrote:

Exactly right about volume and price. Some days it seems like I see 20 jeeps a day driving around. As for GW syndrome, and the other companies charging what they do for Vanagon specific items, I'm just glad they are in business at all. When you are trying to keep a 20-plus year-old vehicle on the road, paying $200 more for a bumper designed specifically for that vehicle doesn't seem like that bad of a deal. I appreciate the fact that we have several different options for improving the bumpers, wheels, roof racks, suspension, engines, etc., on these vehicles. I'm not sure that I would have purchased my Vanagon and begun this restoration project if there weren't such vendors out there making it all possible.

There is also 20x the competition viaing for that customer base with jeeps. GW syndrome is strong and blinding. It stretches from the vehicle cost to the accessories. If you are willing to pay, they are willing and do charge. If you don't pay, the prices drop.
For me, I don't pay and would rather build and modify my own.
AnmlMthrM60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bquigs you win. Best design ever. Laughing
69 Bug - 1776cc
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this whining and complaining yet I do not see a price, unless I missed it.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: