Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bostig bumper ? SWEET
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know what the two 4 hole patterns on the front of the NFB are for? Are they for bolt on shackle mounts or are they fastener access holes to assemble the bumper?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeVanagon wrote:
Anybody know what the two 4 hole patterns on the front of the NFB are for? Are they for bolt on shackle mounts or are they fastener access holes to assemble the bumper?

I believe they said for shackles or winch mount.

put down my $20 today. its a nice piece of hardware, with a beefy look. perfect for my syncro doka. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Bostig bumper and would consider it on a syncro. I would need to see at least a CAD drawing for a rear bumper though. I personally can't picture how a matching rear would look but I don't have any imagination what so ever. Plus even though I know how fragile they are. I LOVE the way the fiberglass bumpers look.
I will say Bostig is a great outfit to deal with and their tech support it top notch. If they say a novice can assemble this bumper than I would believe them. Their conversion documents are so well written my 12 year old son can do just about an entire Zetec conversion. He impressed many at Transporter Fest this fall when people asked questions about my Westy. He was able to answer most.
I hope the bumper project success for Bostig. Their a great company and deserve to do well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ 34 orders DIY weld paint and grind kit is $733.60!

Anyone know the kit count?

I have the RMW rear twin peaks. The front one is $400 in its basic form. To reach that price goal with bostig they need 60 pre sold. And then I still have to weld and paint (not that I won't enjoy it)

couldn't justify it when it came to putting a ford in the trunk.

and don't see the reasoning in it with this project either.

I love the design. I think I would put out $400 and would be more than happy to weld and paint it. Just don't like waiting for a retail lottery.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully they hit 70 and we get them for 344 Smile

I got my $20 down but I won't be following through at $733 plus shipping.

I think its a bad idea if they sell the first batch so expensive.

why can't they just make an assumption like any other business, produce XX amount, and price their product accordingly. Rolling Eyes

IF U GOT YOUR EARS ON BOSTIG

IMHO. just batch produce 70 units and sell them at good value to your audience. you are aready into it for so much on the R&D side, what's a couple extra thou........ ever heard of a business loan? 70 x 344 isn't even $25,000 Rolling Eyes how much would you even need to borrow $15,000?

Last edited by toomanyveedubs on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the group closes at 34 I doubt it ever happens. Sad
and a good idea goes down the tubes because of a bad business decision.

I see how the idea looks good to them, risk free income. dont buy materials until you've already sold the finished product. But since when is business risk free Question grow some kahonas guys.

can't imagine any other business trying to run this way.

gas stations start selling fuel on mondays at $10/ gallon until they sell 10000 gallons and make their money, then they drop the price by end of week ...........
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:

I see how the idea looks good to them, risk free income. dont buy materials until you've already sold the finished product. But since when is business risk free Question grow some kahonas guys.

gas stations start selling fuel on mondays at $10/ gallon until they sell 10000 gallons and make their money, then they drop the price by end of week ...........

If you are looking for a good bumper I will have my new one done soon and it will be at least as strong as the Bostig one but with a sleeker design. My buddy (who is a professional fabricator) is getting into building custom off road bumpers as a side job and could make one for you for way less than the NFB, probably $450-$500 or so. Maybe less depending on what you are looking for.

You can PM me if your interested in the details.
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:

It is different from the norm but...maybe this approach will keep them from going belly up in a small market?
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
hopefully they hit 70 and we get them for 344 Smile

I got my $20 down but I won't be following through at $733 plus shipping.

Hmmm, I thought the $20 deposit was your commitment to buy at a max price of $733. If 34 are sold, you are locked in.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the benefits of buying with Visa. You ALWAYS have a return option.
its a basic consumer protection that cant be opted out of.
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:

It's also breach of contract and a real shit head thing to do...
boulderdrop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
toomanyveedubs wrote:

I totally understand your thinking toomanyveedubs .. but I think buildyourown might be right. I signed up for the bumper deal as soon as I heard about it.. as I really liked what I learned with the bostig conversion and would like to try my hand at welding.. but as I explained the project (for the first time) to my wife and the pricing structure.. she brought up a really good point.. if people perform a chargeback against the order, and f'up the revenue bostig will make on the bumpers, it will probably blow back to customers like me and the price will increase. which would make it a real shithead thing to do.
1979 Sears Freespirit Moped
1996 Chev S10 4x4 ZR2
2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid (Wife's)

== How I Pay the Bills ==
Windows FTP Server at http://www.bpftpserver.com (PM for a FREE one)
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boulderdrop wrote:
I totally understand your thinking toomanyveedubs .. but I think buildyourown might be right. I signed up for the bumper deal as soon as I heard about it.. as I really liked what I learned with the bostig conversion and would like to try my hand at welding.. but as I explained the project (for the first time) to my wife and the pricing structure.. she brought up a really good point.. if people perform a chargeback against the order, and f'up the revenue bostig will make on the bumpers, it will probably blow back to customers like me and the price will increase. which would make it a real shithead thing to do.

If you paid your $20, that means you checked the box that says you read and understand the terms of the NFB group buy. That's as good as signing a contract to pay $733 + shipping.
It also says that if 34 is not reached in 80 days total, then everybody gets a refund and nobody gets a bumper.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buildyourown wrote:
toomanyveedubs wrote:

Not having a return policy is breach of contract with visa.

You are acting like I'm trying to f@&$ over bostig.

Why don't they just build 70 after the buying of 34 is reached and be done with it ?

Not commenting on their product, but their business sense isnt that good if they put up that stupid sliding price scale.

Put up a price and stick with it for everyone, instead of buy early so you can pay twice as much
Williamtaylor33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you didn't agree to their terms you shouldn't have plunked down $20.
They have already said that if it doesn't reach 34 then your deposit will be returned. THATS their return policy.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are getting cold feet. Possibly you can contact them directly with your concerns?
JoshG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
buildyourown wrote:
toomanyveedubs wrote:

Not having a return policy is breach of contract with visa.

You are acting like I'm trying to f@&$ over bostig.

Why don't they just build 70 after the buying of 34 is reached and be done with it ?

Not commenting on their product, but their business sense isnt that good if they put up that stupid sliding price scale.

Put up a price and stick with it for everyone, instead of buy early so you can pay twice as much

If you don't like their business model and you don't agree with their practices just don't do business with them! It is that simple. But don't be a jackass about it. Those guys work really really hard in a very limited market. Just leave them the F@@K alone if you don't like it.

I'm just saying.
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who think the bumper is worth $744 plus shipping. Put your mOney where your mouth is.
GrindGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
Who think the bumper is worth $744 plus shipping. Put your mOney where your mouth is.

Would like to see this....

Never understood the way they do business with buy groups and seceret handshakes.

They put out a top notch product with support. If what they sell is your thing. I would look at my competeters. Build the product and price it accordingly so that it will sell. I'm sure if they came out with the basic bumper and matched RMW $ they would start selling.

91 Vanagon AUTO
97 Single Port EJ22 all smallcar.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you all agree that there should be no consumer protection?

I didn't ask them to build me a custom , 1 of a kind bumper.

If I change my mind (for any reason) its my prerogative. I have rights you know. If they want my money up front, no refunds, no credit, they should if asked for it and not done it with visa.

I don't have cold feet. I just don't think it's worth $744. I put my money down in hopes others will too. If its not successful and only 34 buy in I'll have to decide if I value it that much.

Its just my opinion they should have done a better job pricing and marketing it. I think they would have got better support with a fixed price. I would guess a lot of people are on the sidelines waiting on the pricing outcome.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: