Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Engine Builder Topic
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Official Engine Builder Topic Reply with quote

There are constant topics about engine builders and who to use. We need a simple topic where people can post basic info on who built it, basic specs and comments good or bad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Art Thraen @ ACE (AirCooled Engineering)
http://www.aircooledengineering.com/

2180 long block
complete specs - http://www.glenn-ring.com/Beetle.html
Pictures of the build - http://www.glenn-ring.com/engine/

I chose Art because I wanted a "custom" build, not one off the shelf. Art worked with me on picking parts and the combo. I supplied some parts and he supplied the rest. While it's technically a "long block" I send carbs, ignition and exhaust so that he could dyno the engine. The total precess took 5 months with the first 2 brainstorming the combo. Art's attention to detail is beyond none. You can eat off his workbench and he documents the complete build. I knew exactly what parts were being used, no mystery parts.

He can build anything from a stock 36hp to a complete custom like mine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post similar info on your build.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare

Last edited by Glenn on Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:37 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary Berg:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1027343

Gary has built 2 engines for our small shop.

the first is a turnkey 1915cc that he built in our shop while he was in town for a while.
i cannot tell you how much i learned from him (and not just about engine assembly) while he was here.
you simply cannot find anyone out there with a better working knowledge of VWs.
where do you think Art (ACE) got his start?
i did the 500mi service on this engine a few weeks ago and have never seen a sump plate or oil this clean Shocked

next is an all new 1600DP that he assembled for us in a matter of weeks. the feedback from him as to the quality of the new parts really lets you know that he leaves no stone unturned.
i asked him if ANY part for this engine met the gary berg QC criteria right out of the box and he said 'no'.

if you want the best--and don't necessarily feel the need to pay five figures for that privilege--this is your man.
although i'm sure he's down for a $10k build if that's what you want Wink

oh! and he's not to shabby when it comes to transmissions either Twisted Evil
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
oh! and he's not to shabby when it comes to transmissions either Twisted Evil

He built my Berg 5.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Scooter Heaton from R&S Performance in Orlando Florida build my 2110 2 1/2 years ago. I chose Scooter at R & S as building performance AC VW engines is his passion and has been for 30 years plus. My engine is comprised of all BERG parts ($$$) and I would only trust someone with this kind of experience to build it. I brought him my parts, he sat with me and inventoried them. He let me call as often as possible as he took his time with building my engine. We had many discussions as he had to order some parts from the Bergs as he built the engine. He gave me great advice and I learned a lot by talking with him and watching him work. His cost to do the work wasn't cheap but he is meticulous and WILL NOT COMPROMISE quality as he will only stand behind work that is done to his standard (which is very high). He'a also a funny guy and really cares about what he's doing. He will openly tell you that he loves what he does and when you visit his shop and see his work it will be very obvious. There are very few guys like Scooter left in our hobby and I'm glad that I trusted him to build the engine in my car.

I was there when my engine was fired for the first time, and even though it was my engine, he was like an expecting father before he started it and watched it run the first time. There were ZERO problems starting it the first time and it has run flawlessly since I've had it running in my car.

Specs on my engine:
All Berg Parts -2110
82 X 90.5 "specials" - 12.5 lb 8 doweled flywheel
Berg /Carillo Porsche length rods
Berg K10 cam
One off Berg CNC and hand finshed 870 style heads 42 X 37.5 Berg dual springs
Berg 1:4:1 Forged rockers
Berg 1 5/8 merged header
Berg 26mm oil pump and full flow kit
Stinger S4 ignition
Berg POTL case
Berg equalizer
etc.......
Balanced rotating assembly
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently hired Anibal Chico to build a street motor for my beetle. I had been collecting misc parts for a few years now after talking to Chico, I sent all of the collected parts to him. At that point we agreed to a fee to build a turnkey. He was very willing to keep me informed of the progress. His fees are very reasonable, especially considering how much time and effort he puts into your order. I explained what type of performance I was looking for and also what look I was after. He nailed it.
I was very impressed with the finished product. Even the delivery driver was impressed with the high quality way in which it was prepared for shipping.
Another thing that impressed me was he had a couple of ideas to enhance the look of the motor itself.
After dealing with him, I can see first hand why he receives the accolades that he does. I have had zero problems with it. He really is an asset to the VW community, and I will promote him as much as possible.

Specs:

1956cc
Dyno tuned
CNC mini D port heads-40x35.5
Dual Weber 44 idf's
Straight cut cam gears
1 5/8" Al's merged header with berg custom made muffler
TM 20 cam
Glenn Ring 010 distributor
Gene Berg-1.5 qt oil sump, equalizer pulley, carb linkage, breather/filler assy, full flow filtration system

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
pathwayrev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Steve @ VW Performance in Phoenix build my engine. I stripped it and took it to his shop. He called me two weeks later with an assessment - needed a rebuild, not just a "freshening" (it sat for 30 years in a barn).

He put on a big-bore kit that took it from 1200 to 1383. He put the dist., front pulley and clutch back on for me. I did the rest myself. When I had it ready and back in the chassis he came out to my house (!) to do the original fire-up and make sure everything was good. It was! Runs strong, great oil pressure, quiet. $1564.

Steve's a good guy besides being a great builder. I've been to his shop to get some parts I needed and we've become friends. He's given me helpful advice on specific issues, options, etc. He showed me some of what he does back in his shop - custom work on pistons & heads - and I'm impressed. He said he used to do mostly high performance but lately more people want stock.

He also does transmissions, but I hope I don't need him for that! I know he does work for people everywhere and ships engines to other states. He certainly gets my recommendation!
Bmueller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old stock engine was pretty beat up from all the years of abuse. So I decided to upgrade to a larger engine and still utilize my Kadrons and my 034 distributor. The reason for re purposing these parts is due to the money already invested in rebuilding the Kadrons and adding a vacuum port for the distributor. Some day a pair of Weber 44's will be sitting in there...when I have money money... Sad

After deciding what parts needed to be re used, I did a lot of research on the forums and decided to go with Chico Performance Racing. Since they are in the LA area it would be easy to see progress on the engine and a great way to meet the builder, Anibal Chico. Chico was really awesome and helped me pick out a great engine for my driving style (street and freeway driving, no drag racing) and was willing to work with the parts I had. From there he made build sheet for the engine and made some tweeks here and there to help "wake up" the engine and to give it a little more power.

Overall I am impressed with Chico's service and build, since my bug is almost an entirely different beast. Twisted Evil

Here is a brief over view of the specs:

- 1914cc turn key engine
- New Case AS41 Open to 94mm taped for full flow.
- Engle 110 Camshaft with Norris racing Lifters.
- CB straight cut gear's
- Forged CB 13 lb flywheel 8 dowel.
- 8mm chromoly head studs
- 94mm Mahale pistons/cylinders with Grant rings
- New 043 head with 40 x 35.5 stainless steel valves with dual high rev springs and CNC mini D 4 angle port job
- Scat 1.25 ratio rockers
- 26mm H.D oil pump modified for full flow with oil filter base and oil filter
- Kennedy Stage 1 Pressure plate with Dakin Racing disk.
- Ceramic coated 1 1/2 merged header A-1 with Phat boy muffler
- Dynamically Balancing Crank,Rods,Pistons,Flywheel,Pressure plate, & Front pulley
- Dyno tuned and broken in
-Kadrons w/ 32mm venturis

Link

67Callooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am surprised at the lack of replies on this thread ! you would think people would be talking up builders who do a great job and are reputable. anyway my motor is being built by a frequent poster on the samba, mightymouse aka dave mcfarlane. the reason i choose dave is he a ace qualified mechanic he can pretty much make anything run, but his passion is vw's! i could have also gone with doug gonzales (doug and anthony chica currently are running a record setting pra drag bug) or gary berg (no need to state gary's rep), but i choose dave because of his past work and commitment of making sure it runs right before he lets it out of his hands and the fact dave lives so close to me i can see the progress of my motor. just my two cents thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

draven898 wrote:
i am surprised at the lack of replies on this thread ! you would think people would be talking up builders who do a great job and are reputable.

I agree.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
66 Shorty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree too! I was coming here to check out if anyone in the New England area (in or around Rhode Island) had a Good Reputable VW Engine builder...

I know of one that has been highly recommended. The prices seem a bit higher than other reputable shops that I could send my stuff to, but, I'd like to keep it local, where I can pick-up & drop it off myself, plus I can meet the people building my motor, & check-in or run parts down to them if needed...

'60's Spatz Buggy body on '74 Chassis (Budget Build)
'69 Bug (Baja-to-be partial daily)
'10 Silverado (My daily)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Arnolds64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: VEE VILLAGE KCMO Reply with quote

I had my Bottom End built by Vee Village in Kansas City. I brought them a CB 78.4 and some Eagle H Beams after Rimco Clearanced it. I bought the Crank through Serrano's when he was here on the Samba. One of the journals did need some Polishing. Vee Village has been doing this since the 70's. They have long time builders there that know their Poop!
Engine has gone through one teenager and me which is no different. Run it hard and it is hanging in there. Probably have 10000 miles on it now. Changed Cam and lifters, did more port work and fly cut of the heads ( Flycut by VEE Village.) Last summer.

64 Bug, White, 2017, Dual Weber 44's, Engle 130/Engle lifters, Home P&P'd 40X35 heads, CB 4340 nitrided crank, Eagle knock off H Beam 5.5" rods, Lowering Beam, Rancho Trans, Traction Bar. 225X60's rear, 145's front on Porsche Chrome Nipple Wheels.
Glenn73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love ACE! Very Happy
Lucky for me they are less than 3 miles away. They helped me remove my stuck gland nut and are gonna do work on my new motor(again Rolling Eyes )
Lost it when it got stuck when replacing a bad main seal.

VW Transporter production film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rceTqDtGgz8
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well im not surprised that there arent a lot of posts in here, because many people like to keep their builder a secret. This ive learned well over the years.

AND another aspect is, their honestly isnt very many GOOD air cooled builders out there. id say there are a lot of "decent" ones. But after doing this now since 1990. I have torn down and seen stuff that just amazes me.

There are a handful of TOP SHELF builders out there.

I consider myself one of them. For whatever reason people get upset when you toot your own horn.... i could care less. If your good, be proud of your work. Just dont go bragging everywhere. Like this... this is prob one of the only times youll see me post... about "myself" in a thread.

Do i need it to get business... nope. But i figured... what else am i gonna do. Im not gonna ask my clients to fluff me on here.. most of them dont go on samba or if they do they dont post much. I have worked since the start to make sure i build the best stuff i can with the tech thats up to date.

I have posted very few of my builds/history/success.
Many of you know me as the owner/driver of mightymouse the nitrous ghia in the 90s. Its still on cal look forums with my name and specs.
That engine is in my bus now..... 17 years later and its still all std/std after having prob 200 bottles of nitrous put through it and its mostly all berg parts. Smile

Here is a thread for an engine i built a while back.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444148&highlight=2085

Thats how i pretty much build all my stuff. No junk, no messin around no cuttin corners. It has to live as long or longer than a new stock engine. Thats how i look at it.

Hope this benefits some people. I enjoy this group of people i call my aircooled family. I have helped out so many people over the years i cant even count. And i feel a great sense of accomplishment for having done so.
Thanks to those who have given me the opportunity to do so and for telling the people they tell face to face. Smile

Later dave

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: engine builders Reply with quote

One reason for the lack of posts, could be that most people prefer to build their own engines. That has always been one of the best attributes of the Type 1 engine, a few hand tools, good manuals, parts are plentiful and so mostly you're good to go.

You'll also know exactly what parts are being used and can check the clearances and specs carefully. You only have to read the buyer/seller feedback forum to see plenty of examples of how it can all go off the rails once you've sent your money to someone else...

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
67Callooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: engine builders Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
One reason for the lack of posts, could be that most people prefer to build their own engines. That has always been one of the best attributes of the Type 1 engine, a few hand tools, good manuals, parts are plentiful and so mostly you're good to go.

You'll also know exactly what parts are being used and can check the clearances and specs carefully. You only have to read the buyer/seller feedback forum to see plenty of examples of how it can all go off the rails once you've sent your money to someone else...

mous i should have you build my motor ! oh wait you are ! Very Happy neil i cant tell how many people come to mighty mouse after so called builders have "fixed" their motors ! and he has corrected their issues
locky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a ton of research and reading, I decided on Chico. He built me a 2017 stroker with dual weber 44's for my thing. The guy is an absolute pro, and took time to return calls and answer questions, even a year after I got my motor. The power in this thing has changed my life.
Chico IS the Man.....

2017 cc

1. C.W 78.4 mm Crankshaft forged CBPerformance 8 dowel
2. New Case AS41 Open to 90.5 mm taped for full flow.
3. New 5.4 I-beam connecting rods New bushing
4. TM20 Camshaft with Norris racing Lifters.
5. Aluminum stock cam gear
6. German forged reground flywheel 8 dowel.
7. Gene Berg Chromoly racing Gland nut (torque to 550lbs)
8. 8mm chromoly head studs (made for Chico performance only)
9. 90.5 mm Mahale pistons/cylinders with Grant rings.
10. New 043 with 40 x 35.5 stainless steel valve with chromoly retainers and single high rev springs.
12. Scat rockershaft with 1.1to1 VW rockerarms
13. Stainless steel windage push rod tubes.
14. Bolt on aluminum valve covers or stock German (vented if needed)
15. Perfect fit powder coated sheet metal with air
16. 26mm H.D oil pump modified for full flow with oil filter base and oil filter
17. New Dual 44mm Weber kit.
18. New Alternator,or Generator (your choice)
19. Bosch 009 dist with compu-fire ign.
20. Kennedy Stage 1 Pressure plate with Dankin disk.
21. New 1 1/2 heater boxes with flanges with Tri-mil Euro muffler for Thing.
22. Dynamically Balancing Crank,Rods,Pistons,Flywheel,Pressure plate,Front pulley,
23. Full dyno day with break in and tuning and dyno sheet 120+HP with 130+TQ
24. 8.5 to 1 compression unless you need more.
jlcaceres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading A LOT from Samba and some other forums, I decided to go with Chico to build my 1776cc. Some other builders would take up to two months just to start building it, nothing wrong with them I just can't wait that long. I don't have all the specs, but here's what I know:

1. New AS41 case
2. 69mm DPR CW crank
3. 40mm Dellorto carbs
4. 90.5 pistons and cylinders (not sure of brand)
5. CSP intake manifolds
6. CSP Bellcrank linkage
7. CSP pushrod tubes
8. 40x35 heads with HD springs
9. CSP Valve covers (yeah, I really like CSP)
10. CSP Super Competition Exhaust
11. Piersburg electric fuel pump with emergency shut off relay.

As progress moves along, I'll post more details and pics. Cheers
Whiteboyspooky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also just ordered an engine from chico.
2165cc 150hp pakcage
CPR mini wedge 42 x 37
As21 case
Web cam 86a
1.4 rockers
44 hpmxs match ported intakes (yes empi carbs)
cb linkage and manifolds
1.5qt thinline sump
13lb flywheel
welded and balanced fan
Als header 1 5/8s with a phatboy

going in a daily driver 69 beetle hopefully itll be done in about 2 weeks from now Smile ill let you know how it does and post dyno info

So i recieved my engine and have it installed...damn...lol it dynoed 150 hp at 6000rpm and 142 ftlbs at 4000 ill post the actual chart later[img][/img]
[/img]

Last edited by Whiteboyspooky on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kme9418
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished engine today.

1915cc longblock by ACE
DRLA 45s by ACE
intakes match ported to heads by ACE
1 5/8" stainless sidewinder header by A-1
German counterweighted crank by DPR
German 8 doweled/12lb flywheel by DPR
Chromoly gland nut/head studs/pushrods
Engle 120 cam and Engle lifters
9:1 CR
40x35.5 heads CNC ported, heavy duty springs
Porsche 911 swivel feet adjusters
HD rocker arm shafts
full flow
Bosch 034 SVDA
Bosch blue coil
Bosch wires
dynamically balanced
'73 Type 181 fan shroud w/ German thermostat
1.5 qt CB sump
KEP stage 1 pressure plate w/ Daikin clutch
engine tin and powdercoating by Awesome Powdercoat
Line-X firewall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a dyno chart? hows it run? I would say too much carbs and too much header, but if it works... run it. lol.

Note to EVERYONE.
Know your ZDDP levels or you WILL lose a cam and lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: