Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Engine Builder Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kme9418
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dyno chart because I just bought the longblock and assembled the rest myself. ACE didn't have any tin on it when they started it up with my carbs and distributor to check for leaks, etc. so they didn't do a dyno pull on it. As for the carbs and header size...Art Thraen said it ran like a sewing machine when they cranked it up so who am I to argue with him? Carbs and exhaust size were specified by him. He has built this combo plenty and estimates mine to be about 120hp/130tq. That is roughly the same power/weight as my BMW 330i so I'm cool with that. I haven't run it yet because it still sits as you see it. Hope to install soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is the average price, or price range that these builders will charge for their services to assemble the engine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kme9418
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My specs are above. Longblock ONLY was $4,682 with all the best parts. Yes, you can buy a turnkey for that with cheaper parts. As Glenn always says, "Cheap, Fast, Reliable...you can pick 2".
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prices depend on the shop. Some have a dozen unnamed people building engines while others have one or two and there's a good chance the owner builds them.

It also depends on the level of precision. More time, costs more.
BTW... it takes me 16 hours to "assemble" a stock 1600 turnkey. That's starting with all machined and cleaned parts. A performance engine will require more time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya thanks, i understand.
but 4682 for an assembled long block seems like a good price since my parts list alone is more than that.
maybe i just like the good stuff...
chacho_25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can one buy a turnkey engine from one of the above named engine builder with good parts. Also what about east coast builders. My problem is that I'm outside of the US, in the Caribbean so I don't really have any parts would have to order almost everything from the US anyways so it seems like a better way is to just buy a turnkey engine. But want a quality build.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a few posts looking for east coast builders. I can highly recommend Gary at Suburban Engine (www.suburbanengine.com) in Waltham, MA. Gary formerly built engines with Boston Bob (rip) at Boston Engine. He specializes in stock motors for Type 1 applications, 2.0L bus air-cooled engines and 2.1L water-boxer van engines. He also builds a 1700cc mild stroker motor for a little more umphh in your bus. He is the only engine builder I prefer and use regularly at my own shop, Stan's Classic Service in Natick, MA. I have never had any of his longblocks come back with any problems.

I personally drive two vintage VWs with motors that Gary assembled for me while he was with Boston Engine. The 1600cc dual port in my '65 panel bus has 20,000 trouble-free miles and the 1600cc single port in my '61 microbus has 15,000 trouble-free miles. Both still run strong and I expect them to last for many more miles. Suburban Engine is also listed here on the Samba in the Community>Businesses section.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kevinx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbus wrote:
ya thanks, i understand.
but 4682 for an assembled long block seems like a good price since my parts list alone is more than that.
maybe i just like the good stuff...

Same thing I keep thinking.
TCS_58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard much about Strictly Foreign? Their prices are extremely good for what you get, especially with the stroker combinations they offer. I've just sent an email of to Chico but figured I should at least shop around a little..
subwayaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found this thread to be very interesting and knowing that there are few good craftsman engine builders out there and being away from the little cars for awhile nice to read again about a few of the best and comments. Hey there not cheap anymore might as well spend your bucks on the best and not twice with the rest.
kme9418
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TCS_58 wrote:
Has anyone heard much about Strictly Foreign? Their prices are extremely good for what you get, especially with the stroker combinations they offer. I've just sent an email of to Chico but figured I should at least shop around a little..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210011&highlight=strictly
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Prices depend on the shop. Some have a dozen unnamed people building engines while others have one or two and there's a good chance the owner builds them.

It also depends on the level of precision. More time, costs more.
BTW... it takes me 16 hours to "assemble" a stock 1600 turnkey. That's starting with all machined and cleaned parts. A performance engine will require more time.

The first shop I worked at took the cars in around seven AM. Taking a short lunch around a half hour and using already cleaned and prepped parts we had them ready to drive around 5.30 PM. If align boring was not required. These came with 6 month 6,000 mile warranty and we had a good reputation w/ very few comebacks. 98 percent of our work was stock rebuilds. Many of us toiled in obscurity during the 70s and 80s with a lot of the independents going
away during the 1990s. About a year ago a very good friend of mine died and he had built thousands of engines during a career that spanned from 1970 to 2010. He taught us things that are unknown to most of you here . Within the last ten years half a dozen of my good VW friends have passed away including a master transaxle builder well known to some here. Bill Shanks R.I.P.

Now I am having health issues of my own which is why I don't post here anymore . Goodbye and Good luck to you all

Jim
fourtravis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: High Performance builder Reply with quote

I'm in South Carolina and looking for a good high performance builder. Can someone help me out.

Thanks

Greg
RHough
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Looking for reviews Aircooled.Net engine Reply with quote

I'm looking for a engine for a DD Ghia.

1600, W110 cam, 8.5-9.0:1 CR, 40mm Kadrons

This looks very tempting:

Aircooled.Net Long Block

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aircooled-Net-Stocker-Plus-VW-Long-Block-p/stocker-plus-long-block.htm

I want to build my own at some point, but having a reliable driver is job 1 for now.

Any feedback on engines from Aircooled.Net?

Thanks,
Randy
72Justin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been perusing these forums on and off for a few months now and I think I've decided on getting a 2110 for my 72 bug. I'm 24 and it was handed down to me from my father and has basically been a lifelong restoration for us, though he has his own 68.

I had been thinking of ordering a turnkey from mofoco but after a lot of reading I think I should go with a custom build. I'm looking for something I can drive daily in the summer.

Anyone know any good builders around the Grand Rapids, or West Michigan area?
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this company is considered a builder, but I figured I'd ask. I'm looking at gex international long block for my ghia. Any opinions on them? I'd really like to take a stab at building the engine myself. Im not sure how stout the engine from them is?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonyorlo wrote:
I don't know if this company is considered a builder, but I figured I'd ask. I'm looking at gex international long block for my ghia. Any opinions on them? I'd really like to take a stab at building the engine myself. Im not sure how stout the engine from them is?

You'd have better luck dumping the parts in a cement mixer than have GEX build an engine for you.

Do a search of the feedback topic and you'll fin they are crap.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Tonyorlo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price seemed too good. Mid America has some decent price crate engines,
Same quality I assume? Maybe I should go for it and build the engine myself.
vdubwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: GEX, Reply with quote

You were told about them, (GEX)if it fits and turns they sell it with 30 days, good luck! Do it your self with a reputable builder selling parts and you can still find deals on Samba and Craigs list, even work your own heads from reading books, and asking q's! G-Man Wink
Please use <vdubwizard> for all messages, Big foot does not work correctly? Long rod Engines slow the piston down at TDC and BDC to let more flow and less angle to the pistons which helps the engine to last longer, less wear, and move the power band up the scale a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Midwest aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your in the Midwest and looking for quality engine work and/or machine work, Midwest Air-Cooled does it all in house. I have over 17 years of engine building experience, and we have a full machine shop in house. We are in the St.Louis area

We do everything from stock 36hp engines to 2332cc turbo engines for street, strip, or off road. We also build type 4 engines for late Busses. We do all the machine work in house, and I build each engine from start to finish, one at a time, for your application. Engines are offered as a short block, long block, or complete turn key started/tuned.

The 2332 turbo engine in my car made over 300 hp to the wheels, and I drive it on the street, to and from work and around town, it doesn't run hot, and fits under the decklid. It can be done, and we do it! Check out the facebook page (facebook.com/midwestaircooled) for pictures of current engine builds, shop projects, along with customer reviews and feedback on our work. (The page is public so you don't have to be a member of facebook to look at it.)

Jason

1957 Oval window Rag, Cover car, summer issue Volksamerica Magazine

Midwest Air-Cooled & Machine
Facebook.com/midwestaircooled
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: