Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official Engine Builder Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sail-bum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Scat Reply with quote

I noticed that no one mentions Scat Enterprises? Are they not up to par? I was emailing with them about a 2275, although not cheap i felt they were a large enough builder to trust for quality? Any other suggestions?
kme9418
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for reviews Aircooled.Net engine Reply with quote

RHough wrote:

This looks very tempting:

Aircooled.Net Long Block

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Aircooled-Net-Stocker-Plus-VW-Long-Block-p/stocker-plus-long-block.htm

I want to build my own at some point, but having a reliable driver is job 1 for now.

Any feedback on engines from Aircooled.Net?

Thanks,
Randy

Yes. I use Aircooled.Net for everything I can. They have great service, quality parts and are highly knowledgeable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keone71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keone miranda(me) built this 2332

aluminum bubble top
cb crank
cb h-beam rods
engle fk46
1.5 sump
drd L-7 heads 049 revmaster castings
48 ida's

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fpcopo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Downs at CB Performance built a 2110 with dual 44 Webers and a set of Los Panchitos heads. Made 150 hp and 146 lb ft also pulled all the way to 6500. Pat was very patient with me and made sure this engine was still conservative enough to cool well in my Porsche Speedster replica. Pat is extremely knowledgable and meticulous. This engine is a show piece. I would recommend Pat without hesitation for anyone.

hushcar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: cool tin Reply with quote

Does anyone know is the cool tin the same for bigger engines as it is for the 1600's? I see advertised cool tin but it says for 1200 to 1600 and I'm building a 1914.
Derek71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2017 cc with dual empi 44s. Stage 1 Steve Tim's heads (42x37) low compression. Small cam. And all type 3 based. 1.5qt sump
And heavy duty pump. Very happy with product, turnaround and customer service. 120hp/135ftlbs https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1178254.jpg
2widefenders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

95% or more have said this guy that guy not that guy, but most of you have not givin a address or phone number some didn't even give a city where these guys were. you just said their names at so so place.... WE need more Info that a name and so and so place.

Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all well known names and shops. A quick Google search will give you their contact info.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2widefenders wrote:
95% or more have said this guy that guy not that guy, but most of you have not givin a address or phone number some didn't even give a city where these guys were. you just said their names at so so place.... WE need more Info that a name and so and so place.

Thanks

My suggestion on picking an engine building is this. One, buy from a place with a reputation, history of building engines, has an actual building and has the ability to take credit card, paypal, etc. Two, if you choose to go with a basement/garage builder, only do so if you can drive to the place they build and see what they do. I have seen so many people get burned on this site by sending cashiers checks for multiple thousands of dollars to individuals across the country. The problem with this is that you have no recourse should something go wrong. Of course there are always exceptions to the rules as there are some individuals on this site that I do trust. Just do your research before sending anyone money.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
STEVENBAKERIS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I heard bad reports on GEX, but what about JCS Volks Machine ? a local dealer here in Calgary uses them and buys the rebuild from them and sells them. I wanted to cut out the middle man and buy direct.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your wanting quality, reasonable prices and a guy that will stand by his work. Hands down Adrian at www.headflowmaster.com the best for all your head work, type 1 type 2 type 3 and type 4 engine builds, and balancing.He Has built a couple engine for me and a third in the works.

Adrian updated me threw the whole build as well as sent me pictures and answered all my millions of questions along the way. He holds himself to incredibly high standards. Quality builds and Customer satisfaction hold him at the top of his craft.
58 Plastic Tub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: BlackLine Racing, Salt Lake City Reply with quote

Glenn opened this thread relating his experience with Art Thraen at ACE in Salt Lake City, UT.

ACE has been the "go-to" resource for quality carburetor rebuilds for years, but somehow many people are unaware that the shop he put together is a full service ACVW facility with machine tools, etc., and that they have had the capability to build custom engines and transaxles from the beginning. As Glenn related, the work has always been top-notch with an attention to detail that should be common in a place that does machine work and complete engines, but which is often sorely lacking in our little branch of the automotive tree.

As some of you may know, early last year, Art sold his shop to the McCallister brothers (Colton and Justin). ACE became BlackLine Racing. The name changed, as did the ownership-- but the attention to detail, and the quality have remained constant.

I've had 3 engines built by Justin McCallister-- one while the shop was still owned my Art, and two under the BlackLine Racing banner. I've had two transaxles built there-- one by ACE, and one by BlackLine. I've had multiple sets of Dellortos rebuilt-- most when the shop was ACE, but a couple of sets since the shop has been BlackLine.

There has been no drop-off in quality or ability to meet time-lines.

One of the BlackLine engines I've had built was a fairly standard 2110 for my bus. I've never had an engine as sweet as the one they put together for me. The other one is a twin-plug, dry-sumped 2276. In each case, like Glenn-- I supplied some of the parts, and BlackLine supplied some of the parts. The interface was seamless, and the resultant engines are fantastic.

I'm a very particular guy, and what I get from BlackLine meets all my requirements. In my experience in this hobby, this puts them in a very, very small class of vendors.

BlackLine Racing is at 360 West 6100 S #A, Murray, Utah, 84107. The phone number is (801) 747-3342.

Last edited by 58 Plastic Tub on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^
Stan,

I totally agree. Different name and ownership, same people and dedication to providing a superior product.

I have no reservation in using them for any future project.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
MMCCARTHY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had nothing but great things to say about all my dealings with Dave and Judy Kawell . They are located in Tennesse and some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The quality of the engines they build are excellent and they build whatever level of performance you need from stock to outragious . The quality of their headers and intake systems they build inhouse is maticulous and true works of art. As far as experiance goes there are very few out there who have done it longer or who have anywhere near their knowlege .

http://www.kawellracing.com/
subhuman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all i can say is chico builds not only some of the best engines, but he stands behind his work! my 2110 (from chico) started to make lifter noise on start up. this eventualy developed into lifter noise that did not go away (read as loud). so i made a short video and sent that to chico along with a detailed email just to see if he had run into this issue with any other of his engines. a day or two later i got a call from cpr and went over the details with chico, when to my suprise he said take the engine out and tear it down to a long block and he would pay for shipping to cal. and inspect / replace anything that was wrong with it! i had figured that seeing as though the engine was a year old and had over 7000 miles on it he would just let me know what exactly to look for when i went to rebuilt it, but he said he would take care of everything! now that is customer service, what other engine builder would do that? anyway, it turned out to be exaust #2 lifter bore was shot, nothing to do with abuse or low oil pressure, but something that was not exactlty right from the factory (as-41 case). cpr bronze bushing all 8 bores and put the engine back together and it shipped out:that was 6 years ago and it now has over 50K flawless miles on it! customer service at its best!

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

you can have everything you want, just don't want so much!

"the wrong way always seems the more reasonable."
george moore

1963 type1
2002 Subaru Wrx

never argue with an idiot, they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Mark Twain
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for suggestions on where to pick up a stock 1600 dp long block for a bus in the Portland/Vancouver area. I know there must be some good builders around here but I don't see a lot of feedback for any of them.
Just dead stock and I'd prefer to have it sooner than later.
I have one that needs rebuilt but I'm not opposed to just picking up a new, already built long block.
Any suggestions are appreciated. thank you!
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
I'm looking for suggestions on where to pick up a stock 1600 dp long block for a bus in the Portland/Vancouver area. I know there must be some good builders around here but I don't see a lot of feedback for any of them.
Just dead stock and I'd prefer to have it sooner than later.
I have one that needs rebuilt but I'm not opposed to just picking up a new, already built long block.
Any suggestions are appreciated. thank you!

The only shop up there i'd recommend is Franklin's outside of Seattle.

But don't be afraid to have a engine shipped, it doesn't cost that much.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
NJPHISHHEAD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: engine rebuild Reply with quote

Could anyone recommend someone around NJ, 08753 that can rebuild 2.0 FI engines? Engine turns over and runs but would like for it to be looked over and have some new components put in.... Any suggestions!?!? and if at all possible somewhat of a price idea. Thanks -David
raider750
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Need help with engin ID and choosing engine Reply with quote

I have a basic rail with a B6 engin Dual relife single port. I have a choice of a AE. Engine dual port. Or a AD dual port from the junck yard is there a better engine to have than another. I'm looking to rebuild a engine on a budget. I know I'm breaking my own rules with good fast and cheap if it is good and fast it won't be cheap if it is fast and cheap it won't be good if it is good and cheap it will be fast. I'm totally new to the vw thing so I'm looking for some help thanks
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
If your wanting quality, reasonable prices and a guy that will stand by his work. Hands down Adrian at www.headflowmaster.com the best for all your head work, type 1 type 2 type 3 and type 4 engine builds, and balancing.He Has built a couple engine for me and a third in the works.

Adrian updated me threw the whole build as well as sent me pictures and answered all my millions of questions along the way. He holds himself to incredibly high standards. Quality builds and Customer satisfaction hold him at the top of his craft.

Adrian does ALL my machine work. He's a really nice guy who will take the time to answer all your questions and answer them thoroughly. He's well known for building all the SCORE motors for the Baja races.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: