Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Sage Green Westy Restoration Lots of PICTURES
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
ill look for it. Very Happy

got pics of the dizzy by chance?

The dizzy is nothing special. Just your average stock NOS 205S. If you look threw this thread there is a picture of it. Now is just sitting with a broken pertronix magnet on it Sad embarresed I broke it.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
ill look for it. Very Happy

got pics of the dizzy by chance?

The dizzy is nothing special. Just your average stock NOS 205S. If you look threw this thread there is a picture of it. Now is just sitting with a broken pertronix magnet on it Sad embarresed I broke it.

just the magnet broke? dude, thats easy to replace...find someone who hooked the wires up backwards for 5 seconds to long...(me) Laughing if you send me a pic of exactly what broke, i may have one from said burned up unit laying around.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I pulled the pertronix. Just got sick of messing with it. Points are will have to do for now.

Colin will be over tomorrow so maybe he can shed some light on it. That's if we get to it. I have a list of things needing checked or done. Cannot wait!!!

Another VW show Sunday, may be my last as I'm sick of people touching, smoking near, leaning in with there beer, hiking there foot up on my NOS carpet or new paint, etc. Evil or Very Mad just fed up asking people nicely and reminding them this is a classic car show not a test drive at the dealers.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
may be my last as I'm sick of people touching, smoking near, leaning in with there beer, hiking there foot up on my NOS carpet or new paint, etc. Evil or Very Mad just fed up asking people nicely and reminding them this is a classic car show not a test drive at the dealers.

welcome to the world of showing cars. up until this year, i have not showed a car since 2007. my car (86 jetta coupe) which cleaned up the A2 modified class with 1st place wins for years. one year, i didn't even place, so i called out one of the judges and asked why....

the answer....

'wanted to be fair to others so they would come back' really? Evil or Very Mad how about judge the car for what it's worth? my car was STILL the nicest, most detailed car in the class.....

this year, i figured i would show my bus.... i didn't even place with my 71 westy Shocked why? the judge 'only liked stock buses', and thought mine was 'neat' (or whatever he said in the email he sent me) my class had nice buses in it for sure, but none were as clean and over the top detailed as mine was.....

like you said, factor in the asshole spectators and a judge that grades on personal preference, and NOT the level of detail/build quality i am done showing for good now. as far as i am concerned, keep your f*cking 4.00 trophy and go to school for judging cars

that's my 0.02....glad you asked? Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the Pertronix "solution". Just don't see the big deal with having to replace points. With a daily driver, yes, but not something like these. Points - simple and not as prone to sudden failure (read carefully ... not AS prone).

Sorry to hear you're having that kind of trouble at the car shows. That's a fine, fine Westy you have and its a real shame people haven't been more respectful. I've found (from showing my Mach 1 for many, many years) that the kind of people at car shows varies a lot depending on the type of show. Informal, mass-appeal, summer festival shows can be the worst as the spectators aren't mostly "car people". Trouble is, you don't know until you've been to a show, but what I've done that's helped a lot is to scope out shows as a spectator before deciding whether to show my car the following year. Have seen the stuff you describe and decided not to bring the car for those reasons.

"Hell is other people" - Jean Paul Sartre
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
curtis4085 wrote:
may be my last as I'm sick of people touching, smoking near, leaning in with there beer, hiking there foot up on my NOS carpet or new paint, etc. Evil or Very Mad just fed up asking people nicely and reminding them this is a classic car show not a test drive at the dealers.

welcome to the world of showing cars. up until this year, i have not showed a car since 2007. my car (86 jetta coupe) which cleaned up the A2 modified class with 1st place wins for years. one year, i didn't even place, so i called out one of the judges and asked why....

the answer....

'wanted to be fair to others so they would come back' really? Evil or Very Mad how about judge the car for what it's worth? my car was STILL the nicest, most detailed car in the class.....

this year, i figured i would show my bus.... i didn't even place with my 71 westy Shocked why? the judge 'only liked stock buses', and thought mine was 'neat' (or whatever he said in the email he sent me) my class had nice buses in it for sure, but none were as clean and over the top detailed as mine was.....

like you said, factor in the asshole spectators and a judge that grades on personal preference, and NOT the level of detail/build quality i am done showing for good now. as far as i am concerned, keep your f*cking 4.00 trophy and go to school for judging cars

that's my 0.02....glad you asked? Very Happy

I here you. Most judges would vote on a hacked up stock looking bus than one modified but done right to the "'9's", i see this a lot.
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I though the bug-in only had a single type 2 class. Hard for a bay to fare well in a situation like that.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Visit from Colin Reply with quote

Update.

We had a visit from Colin this past weekend! What a fun exhausting experience. Colin and I went over to many items to list but the biggest had to be AFM adjustment.

I had thought I had it dialed in pretty well untill Colin got here. Blows my mind how much better the engines running. 20* or more cooler head and oil temps as well. I have to revisit my plugs shortly to see if we need to lean things out a tad. so far am happy with the current power and temps.
sunvale1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: 77 bus Reply with quote

looks great, doing a fantastic job and thorough at that. I'm working on a 78 Bay sunroof same color. Looking for the side panels for the drivers doors, slider and rear sides and center drivers side. Also looking for the seal to the slider. Just don't have the get up and go any longer looking through SAMBA sites. Spend a lot of time there and had little result. Hope you can steer me in a direction were I can buy some good quality repops.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 77 bus Reply with quote

sunvale1 wrote:
looks great, doing a fantastic job and thorough at that. I'm working on a 78 Bay sunroof same color. Looking for the side panels for the drivers doors, slider and rear sides and center drivers side. Also looking for the seal to the slider. Just don't have the get up and go any longer looking through SAMBA sites. Spend a lot of time there and had little result. Hope you can steer me in a direction were I can buy some good quality repops.

Only buy German seals. Busdepot.com

As for the interior door cards stock looking ones are available but very expensive and only can be got overseas. There is a thread currently running for this very thing. We've been kicking around a group buy.

Now for interior panels, the ones with the wood grain decals are sold threw justkampers.com but a pricey and they are in the UK. My panels I made myself. I took the old ones and used them as templates. 1/8 baltick birtch laminated with Formicas Glamour Cherry. I have a vendor if you cannot find these products. In my very long thread there are some pictures of these panels.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the old girl out of storage today for her first spring time romp. Drove from Loveland to Ft Collins running errands,, what fun. The journey was uneventful and relaxing. The bus performed flawlessly.

She had not been driven or started in couple months. Had Oil pressure immediately after cranking!! Adrian from Headflowmasters.com engine is running like a fine watch.
sunvale1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: nice looking job Reply with quote

I like what you did to the bus, wish it would warm up so that I can do some more work on mine. Mine is still in a snow bank awaiting spring which may get here in June or there about. Like to find a good source for the shift linkage bushings and a place to install them around western Michigan.
Still need to adjust the sun roof some more and she will be ready to travel
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: nice looking job Reply with quote

sunvale1 wrote:
I like what you did to the bus, wish it would warm up so that I can do some more work on mine. Mine is still in a snow bank awaiting spring which may get here in June or there about. Like to find a good source for the shift linkage bushings and a place to install them around western Michigan.

Yes Michigan this year is getting hammered. Have lots of friends and family there. Used to live in Tayor, Ypsilanti and Ann arbor. I don't miss it.

For the shift bushing, wolfsburgwest seems to have the best. In Western Michingan I know no one other than yourself to do the job right. The front bushing to service are easy. Grab your Bentley service manual and read up. The rear bushing needs engine pulled to install. The rear coupler you can replace with engine in.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: nice looking job Reply with quote

sunvale1 wrote:

Yes Michigan this year is getting hammered. Have lots of friends and family there. Used to live in Tayor, Ypsilanti and Ann arbor. I don't miss it.

For the shift bushing, wolfsburgwest seems to have the best. In Western Michigan I know no one other than yourself to do the job right. The front bushing to service are easy. Grab your Bentley service manual and read up. The rear bushing needs engine pulled to install. The rear coupler you can replace with engine in.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. Your bus is awesome! Absolutely LOVE this thread. Especially your engine build/rebuild/build. I'm shopping Headflowmasters also. I notice you got a lot of options (balancing, crankshaft, etc) and am just wondering all-in, how much was your build? Also, did you turn in a core or pay the $650? Thanks man
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:
Hey there. Your bus is awesome! Absolutely LOVE this thread. Especially your engine build/rebuild/build. I'm shopping Headflowmasters also. I notice you got a lot of options (balancing, crankshaft, etc) and am just wondering all-in, how much was your build? Also, did you turn in a core or pay the $650? Thanks man

I did pay for a core! And off hand I cannot remember Adrian's fee I would have to pull my invoice. You could ask Adrian what it was as he knows me very well. Matt Curtis.

I sent Adrian German clutch kit to Adrian as I wanted pressure plate balanced. I also sent him (bought a type4store) Porsche 911 swivel adjusters, jake rabys solid lifter shim kit, new heavy duty rocker shaft, and HD rocker studs. Then there's 1.5 rockers to accommodate the adjusters. Those items you can price on Jakes website to be accurate in price.

Then I advised Adrian I wanted a webcam camshaft 142 grind with solid lifters. Ported and polished new reworked Amc heads. And everything balanced.

Adrian has had a few others ask for my platform so if you mention we spoke he could spec out his cost. I will say he was excellent to deal with and very affordable. I think his core charge has gone up since I bought my engine. Guessing before without port and polish maybe I spent 3900 with Adrian and another $4-500 with Jake and then clutch kit. But again ask Adrian as he has the info.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. And thanks for the kind words about my build.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

time to start getting a bunch of scenery pictures out on the trips you take so we can admire from afar....id love to see your bus out in its element on the road or in the woods etc... Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photoboy52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt the other day I finished reading all 45 some odd pages of this build (lots of great info and ideas btw) and my man congrats on a fantastic vehicle!! Applause
I have really enjoyed reading and seeing everything you did in great detail.

So no new pics of Lil Green Dude running around?

'97 Geo Metro 3 door 1L
Tin can on a skate Very Happy
(Did engine rebuild my self)

Past
1961 Bug Sedan
Thrown Rod (Recently found it still at home now need to get from Nor Cali to SE TX!!)
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words. I've been busy with two ongoing restoration so the 79 has not gotten much attention lately other than a once a month drive to keep him lubed.

Here are a few pictures from my archives

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I did have a rather nice head expanding visit from Mark owner of Justkampers. Mark and his wife were on a cross country trip here In The states and stopped by my shop here in Colorado. When I pulled the 79 Westy out to show him he was floored. Before he left he said I should go out and like his FB page so I could follow their journey. When I did this I found a post about my bus which inflated my ego just a tad. This isn't word for word but he noted that my bus was quite possibly the nicest Westfalia in the world!! Of course I was very flattered by his comments, but the first words that came to mind for me were,"it's just a bus" Wink
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bus truly is beautiful and you should be proud of it's condition (it's better than factory, imho). I also got to meet Mark and Kerry. They were having starter troubles when they were driving through Missouri so they stopped at our shop and we got them all fixed up and ready for the other half of the country. I can be seen holding their POS Chinese starter on their facebook page. I am glad to hear they finished their trip safely. It's cool that you got to meet them too.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 44, 45, 46  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 46

Jump to: