Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

79 Sage Green Westy Restoration Lots of PICTURES
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see a few more photos of that mighty fine Westy!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using the westy at all lately? Smile

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Yep. Jist prepped it for trip to Buses By The Bridge in AZ. She's a dream. Almost sold it last month. Turned down 40G offer.
sunvale1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

after all the work you did, I'd be hard pressed to sell. The value is only going to go up each year until some total ass T bones you in an intersection with a rusted out 72 GMC pickup
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

Yep. Jist prepped it for trip to Buses By The Bridge in AZ. She's a dream. Almost sold it last month. Turned down 40G offer.

40K? Not enough!

Bringing it to the sand dunes next june maybe? Wink just kidding...but you should come on the trip in something...

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
curtis4085 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

40K? Not enough!

Bringing it to the sand dunes next june maybe? Wink just kidding...but you should come on the trip in something...

My 62 could handle the trip. Will have to see.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

curtis4085 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
curtis4085 wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

40K? Not enough!

My 62 could handle the trip. Will have to see.

Do it Cool itd be sweet to see you there!

206-841-7324
[email protected]
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Not a fan of the Pertronix "solution". Just don't see the big deal with having to replace points. With a daily driver, yes, but not something like these. Points - simple and not as prone to sudden failure (read carefully ... not AS prone).

Sorry to hear you're having that kind of trouble at the car shows. That's a fine, fine Westy you have and its a real shame people haven't been more respectful. I've found (from showing my Mach 1 for many, many years) that the kind of people at car shows varies a lot depending on the type of show. Informal, mass-appeal, summer festival shows can be the worst as the spectators aren't mostly "car people". Trouble is, you don't know until you've been to a show, but what I've done that's helped a lot is to scope out shows as a spectator before deciding whether to show my car the following year. Have seen the stuff you describe and decided not to bring the car for those reasons.

"Hell is other people" - Jean Paul Sartre

I am going on 7 years having a Pertronix installed without any problems. Yeah, points are good too but if you drive a lot you do have to change/adjust them every few thousand miles.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleyseng wrote:
eche_bus wrote:
Not a fan of the Pertronix "solution". Just don't see the big deal with having to replace points. With a daily driver, yes, but not something like these. Points - simple and not as prone to sudden failure (read carefully ... not AS prone).

Sorry to hear you're having that kind of trouble at the car shows. That's a fine, fine Westy you have and its a real shame people haven't been more respectful. I've found (from showing my Mach 1 for many, many years) that the kind of people at car shows varies a lot depending on the type of show. Informal, mass-appeal, summer festival shows can be the worst as the spectators aren't mostly "car people". Trouble is, you don't know until you've been to a show, but what I've done that's helped a lot is to scope out shows as a spectator before deciding whether to show my car the following year. Have seen the stuff you describe and decided not to bring the car for those reasons.

"Hell is other people" - Jean Paul Sartre

I am going on 7 years having a Pertronix installed without any problems. Yeah, points are good too but if you drive a lot you do have to change/adjust them every few thousand miles.

My pertronix works fine! I do carry safe dizzy with points just incase.
Jjrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, (Can I call you Matt? I feel like I kinda know you after this read!) Just read your whole 46pg thread. I started just looking for some answers to my own bus problems and was immediately hooked. Read like a great book. Really great that you documented your entire Sage Green journey like this. There is so much information in these 46 pages that will help us get our Westys closer to their maximum potential as well as teaching us how to reach out and lean on this community when doing so. Youve pretty much made a "how to build the best westy in the world" tutorial while you built "the best westy in the world." I can easily imagine how you glowed when reading those words, after all that work. Well deserved and thanks for sharing.

Oh and where'd you get those sexy rock guards on your headlights? Don't remember you mentioning them on the thread?

And did you have all of these samba friends before this build? Seems like you have some close buddies here...
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jjrady wrote:
Matt, (Can I call you Matt? I feel like I kinda know you after this read!) Just read your whole 46pg thread. I started just looking for some answers to my own bus problems and was immediately hooked. Read like a great book. Really great that you documented your entire Sage Green journey like this. There is so much information in these 46 pages that will help us get our Westys closer to their maximum potential as well as teaching us how to reach out and lean on this community when doing so. Youve pretty much made a "how to build the best westy in the world" tutorial while you built "the best westy in the world." I can easily imagine how you glowed when reading those words, after all that work. Well deserved and thanks for sharing.

Oh and where'd you get those sexy rock guards on your headlights? Don't remember you mentioning them on the thread?

And did you have all of these samba friends before this build? Seems like you have some close buddies here...

The rock guards were a dealer option after markets are available! Originals I've seen sell for $500+

Most my comrades were forged here user fire. I received lots of help from the main core group of members. All the credit I owe is to this site and its members!!

Thanks for the kind words!

PM set
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is a very sad day... After I gave it a lot of thought I decide to sell "the Little Green Dude" Crying or Very sad I'm at a loss for words as I'm still coming to terms with the event but hope to find another Late bay Westfalia soon to restore.

I will be selling off a pile of NOS and gently used parts that I accumulated over the past 3 years, keep your eyes out in the ads if your looking for late bay gold.
eche_bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
Sorry to hear this news. Sad What happened?

Curious to see what you're selling though.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eche_bus wrote:
Shocked
Sorry to hear this news. Sad What happened?

Curious to see what you're selling though.

Nothing really happened, just moving on to other projects. Believe me I'm totally floored over this decision to sell. All though we did just flood at the house and foresee tens of thousands in repairs.

Just a taste of items going up in the future:

Nos 79 exhaust cross over pipe.
NOS AFM
NOS unleaded fuel decal
Brand new chrome beauty rings
Nos grommets, seals,
Ignition parts. Nos made in Germany or Spain caps and rotor, points
NGK plugs
And a crap load of used items.
Ceramic chromed 79 heater
Fan shrouds
Alternator and tins
Injectors excellent condition
FI harness in excellent condition

A type 4 79 long block with HAM heads only 300 miles.
The pile is deep.
Jjrady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow talk about an epic exercise in detachment. It's just stuff, right? ...just stuff...
Still, your accomplishment with this thing was legendary. The story and experience of it all is priceless and you'll always have THAT.

Condolences, but also a frosty, beer-clinking toast to what ever new opportunities this difficult step may expose.

Can't wait to see what's next for you.
curtis4085
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: 79 Sage Green Westy Restoration Lots of PICTURES Reply with quote

Well life does have its ups and downs. Some time ago I had the bus all set to sell and like a teenager I pulled out. Just couldn't let him go. Fast forward a couple of years, divorce.. Now the hard decisions has come up once again. Low mile museum quality 2 owner bus will probably be on the market soon.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Sage Green Westy Restoration Lots of PICTURES Reply with quote

wow, sorry to hear that matt. I was just thinking about you and was going to drop you a line.

if I were you, I would stick it in a mecum or barret auction. yes, it will cost you a bit, but they will advertise the hell out of it. that is an ez 50-60K bus you have....you won't get that kind of money on the samba.

again, so sorry to hear that you have to sell. life is funny sometimes. I have been thinking of thinning the herd somewhat just because. I know it's a tough thing to consider

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Brionp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 79 Sage Green Westy Restoration Lots of PICTURES Reply with quote

I don't come to Samba much anymore but I was thinking about you Matt. Not much good news here. I'm sorry Matt. You stand out here as probably the most OCD motherfucker I have ever seen, and this site is full of them. That, I'm sure, is what most people love about you. I have two pieces of advice based on experience. First, a thing is just a thing, and things come and go. You are not defined by things that you have. That would be way too simple. Second, a divorce and a flood, pretty rough stuff with only one acceptable outcome. You start recovering.

I still hope to meet you someday, I have a son who lives in Colorado Springs now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46
Jump to:
Page 46 of 46

Jump to: