Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front End Damage on '72 Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gehlsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Front End Damage on '72 Beetle Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum!!! So I just got my first Beetle, and it has some front end damage. Was hoping you guys could help me out on this one. The front is smashed up a bit, how big of a deal is this? How hard is it to fix? And where can I find these parts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64060026@N07/6114339390/in/photostream/lightbox/[img]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64060026@N07/6114338660/in/photostream/lightbox/[/img][img][/img]
Paul Wright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to tell without seeing it in person.
You need a new front apron
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-133-805-591-A

Is there any damage inside. Here is a pic of the wheelhouse that is probably damaged also.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TAB-400-121

It really depends on your skill level.
Do you have any bodywork experience?
gehlsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah!! The Wheel House is a little bent, the guy I got it from said that he took it to a body shop and they would bend it back out for $100. And that the pan wasn't damaged. I haven't really done any body work, but I'm good with bondo, used to fix motorcycle tanks all the time. I've seen guys that leave the fenders off, they have just teh nose, where can you buy one of those kits?
Paul Wright
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it would be cheaper to fix it than to convert it to a Rod with no front fenders. you would still need to get the front apron fixed. Plus you would need to fab mounts for the headlights and turn signals.

Talk to the body guy and see if they will fix it but not do any "finishing" work like primer or bondo. You can do those things yourself and save a few $.
mtdorajohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can cut the apron off with a grinder. it has spot welds if its original. Purchase the apron and you can weld it back in place. I did mine and got rid of all the louvers cut in the apron at the same time. I think it looks better.

damage to the verticals can be banged out and new fenders bolted back in place. pre bolt the fenders in place first and position the apron to match the fenders, reach under the fenders and mark the position of the apron with a sharpee.

remove the fenders one at a time and drill three holes down the side of the apron, into the vertical metal. using really small stainless steel bolts and nuts with lock ring, bolt each side of the apron into place.

you can then work the area with bondo, get it all looking right and the painter can tack weld the apron into the spare tire housing before painting the car.

Whatever you do, SAVE THE HOOD! they don't make 72 super beetle hoods anymore and no one makes an aftermarket hood.
gehlsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh damn, I didn't realize the hood was so hard to get. I thought that all beetles for different years can "swap" body parts, is this not so?
Revelen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, definitely not so. Especially between Supers and Standards...
ryan71Super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink i went throw the same thing ur going throw i have a 71super an the guy i bought it off of recked it pushen the wheelhouseing in about half way my advice it to get to a body shop with a frame rack cuz i did it myself with an old school floor frame puller and an oxy tourch just heated it up pulled it realved all the stresh and she is like good as new. Well... Almost as for the front apron ur guna wana cut it off an do some oldfashon metal finishing with a hamer an dolly maby even a lil bit of bondo not tomuch cuz it will just chip off if ur guna make it your dailydriver. Not right away but overtime it will if u ever need an more help i am a body man just PM me any question an ill ance it to the best of my knowlage
gehlsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK cool!! Thanks guys! Yeah, it looks like a body shop is in store for the lil guy. Along with me an a hammer and bondo, haha. So the hood and fenders aren't interchangeable? That's what the chick that owned this told me, but I thought that might've been wrong, considering one has a strut front end that the fenders are "shaped" to fit. and teh hoods won't match either, huh? I could've sworn I saw 1972 Fiberglass Hoods, but maybe not.
mtdorajohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is one company that makes a fiberglass hood for $400 it is....

http://www.creativecarcraft.com/superhood.htm

I have an extra 1972 superbeetle hood. it isn't perfect but is sure fixable. it has some surface rust in a few places, a crack in the edge that needs welding... I found the hood and purchased it because the owner was going to recycle it. My hood had the same issues and my body shop welded the edge of mine, sandblasted the surface rust and did a little bondo work.... it is now perfect.

if you need a hood and can't get one close to home, email me and I can work something out with you. I have shipped hoods via greyhound before. shipping is $65-$75 via greyhound. I wrap a fridge box around it, pad it, tape it up and they put it on the bus and it rides to your greyhound station....
gehlsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet Mtdorajohn!! I may take you up on that!! I'll see if there's anything local first.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: