Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

overheating 1600 DP (1969 Beetle)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: overheating 1600 DP (1969 Beetle) Reply with quote

Yesterday, I drove my beetle to work and back for the first time since buying it. I made it to work just fine, but when we arrived the motor was smoking a ton. When I drove it home, we made it 4/5 of the way there.. It started losing power and started slowing down. So I did the smart thing and pulled over. Pulled open the motor door and a bunch of white smoke came out and the gas was boiling in the filter, which gave me a vaporlock and wouldnt start til it cooled down.

I was reading through some posts on the SAMBA that said this could be caused by a misfire or bad spark plugs/wires. I know for sure I have 1 bad wire that I will be replacing today when I get home (replacing all wires, distributor cap, spark plugs, oil/filter, air filter, and "heater hoses"). Will this fix the issue? I'm worried that if I do replace all of that stuff, it will continue to overheat and eventually seize up... Then i'm out a motor/transportation to work.
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure all your tin work and engine bay seal is in place. With vw engines, there isn't a magic bullet to keeping them cool, it's a lot of little things that add up.

EDIT: it's also a good idea to check your timing and valve adjustments, the usual tune up stuff

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg in GA wrote:
make sure all your tin work and engine bay seal is in place. With vw engines, there isn't a magic bullet to keeping them cool, it's a lot of little things that add up.

EDIT: it's also a good idea to check your timing and valve adjustments, the usual tune up stuff

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to drop the motor this weekend and check everything out.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to drop it to verify seals and tin or so your valves or tune up. Have you been driving the car for a while (weeks) and this just popped up or is the car new to you?
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
You dont have to drop it to verify seals and tin or so your valves or tune up. Have you been driving the car for a while (weeks) and this just popped up or is the car new to you?

The car is new to me. I bought it at the beginning of the month. The farthest I have driven it prior to work (18 miles away) was around the block or to the gas station about a block away.

This is my first beetle and I'm trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg in GA wrote:
With vw engines, there isn't a magic bullet to keeping them cool

Except for the obvious one in this case.

You have a 69 which had a small 1500 single port non doghouse engine in it with a non vented engine lid.

Does the car still have its non vented engine lid?
Now that is has a bigger DP engine it needs a vented engine lid for the bigger fan and oil cooler to get enough air, thats why all 70s bugs have vented lids.

Once you have ensured timing, valves and carb is all in order try propping the bottom of the decklid open with the tennis ball trick and see if it makes a difference in temp
Greg in GA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

You have a 69 which had a small 1500 single port non doghouse engine in it with a non vented engine lid.

good catch, I have the mostly same setup he has and I have to use a tennis ball also Embarassed

Need a really good mechanic for your VW bus? Consider making an appointment with Colin (Amskeptic) next time he passes thru your area.

Last edited by Greg in GA on Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post images of the engine in question!!
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
Greg in GA wrote:

Now that is has a bigger DP engine it needs a vented engine lid for the bigger fan and oil cooler to get enough air, thats why all 70s bugs have vented lids.

Once you have ensured timing, valves and carb is all in order try propping the bottom of the decklid open with the tennis ball trick and see if it makes a difference in temp

I was talking to my friend about this exact same thing! Except I was thinking about getting one of the kits to prop it open at the top.

I will post images as soon as I can.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xiro wrote:
Joel wrote:
Greg in GA wrote:

I was talking to my friend about this exact same thing! Except I was thinking about getting one of the kits to prop it open at the top.

I will post images as soon as I can.

The tennis ball gig is the way to go over standoffs for many reasons.
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a pic of my motor.. Kind of dark, but I dont get home til its about dark. I had to take the air filter off because its old and dirty and not very breathable anymore. There new spark plugs (gapped to .026) and cables bought from BOBs VW.

Carb is a 34 PICT-3

Distributor # is 0 231 178 009

I dont know much about these things... Are these good models?
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xiro wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is a pic of my motor.. Kind of dark, but I dont get home til its about dark. I had to take the air filter off because its old and dirty and not very breathable anymore. There new spark plugs (gapped to .026) and cables bought from BOBs VW.

Carb is a 34 PICT-3

Distributor # is 0 231 178 009

I dont know much about these things... Are these good models?

Where are the heater hoses at?
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:

They were torn/rotted away, so I removed them. Its in the plans to replace as soon as I can though... They literally werent doing anything while they were attached because there was so much missing.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xiro wrote:
69 Jim wrote:

They were torn/rotted away, so I removed them. Its in the plans to replace as soon as I can though... They literally werent doing anything while they were attached because there was so much missing.

Not running them is a MAJOR cause of overheating.
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Xiro wrote:
69 Jim wrote:

Thats exactly what I thought too. But I get mixed answers when I ask anyone anything, so I have to ask here to confirm anything.

I do know for sure there is a misfire/timing is off. Theres also weeds and wasp nests in the fan shroud and I have a gas leak around the carb, which may be normal from what im hearing
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of that is normal.

If it were me and I wanted this engine to last, I would pull it, clean it, paint the tinwork and seal it up, and do the engine to body seal like it is supposed to be.

Then I would actually tune it correctly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xiro wrote:
69 Jim wrote:
Xiro wrote:
69 Jim wrote:

Thats exactly what I thought too. But I get mixed answers when I ask anyone anything, so I have to ask here to confirm anything.

I do know for sure there is a misfire/timing is off. Theres also weeds and wasp nests in the fan shroud and I have a gas leak around the carb, which may be normal from what im hearing

For your sake, whoever was telling you it was ok hasn't got a clue, so don't rely on those sources. Leaking fuel is not normal, it's a lit fuse on a stick of dynamite. There are several hobbists in your area, check around for clubs etc, or folks that can give you a hand.
Haridev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as others mentioned here, you might need to find new people to seek advice. those wasp nests are not normal.. so to are dirt..get all those cleaned get those hoses asap.. make sure all tins are in place and get a full tune up (new plugs, contact points, carb adjustment) and it should run okay
Volkswagen Beetle 1975 (1.6)
Mercedes Benz 230TE 1987
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xiro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeds and wasps arent normal ha ha. I should have been a little more specific. There seems to be gas coming out from the bottom (or around the carb) when it is sitting in idle. Theres no leak from the fuel lines or fuel filter.

All of the VW guys around here are about 40 min away (other than Bobs VW)
My father was a VW guy and could help, if his work schedule wasnt so crazy and we had free time together. I have been talking to the local club guys on their forums and they are helping out the best they can too.

I'm just a little inpatient because I need to get this thing running because I'm running out of time. Doesnt help that I only have an hour or so a day I can work on it before it gets dark or too late.

So anyways... As a precaution, I am going to drop the motor and clean out the shroud, double check all of my spark plugs/wires and timing, get proper hoses for the "heater ports" and vacuum lines, pull off the carb and check the gaskets and whatnot, re-route the fuel line/filter, and last change the oil and filter.

Anything I am missing?
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haridev wrote:
as others mentioned here, you might need to find new people to seek advice. those wasp nests are not normal.. so to are dirt..get all those cleaned get those hoses asap.. make sure all tins are in place and get a full tune up (new plugs, contact points, carb adjustment) and it should run okay

Also get an air filter, an og oilbath from here in the classifieds, clean the card, and an oil change.

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction, good luck.

Last edited by 69 Jim on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: