Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pulling a bus by towbar - long distance
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, that picture is the first I've ever seen on this forum that completely defies belief. I absolutely cannot compute how that could have happened. Completely unbelievable. Shocked

Is there any other image of that happening ever? Rumor? The noise that thing must have been making...

Maple Valley bus?
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kombisutra wrote:
Greg, that picture is the first I've ever seen on this forum that completely defies belief. I absolutely cannot compute how that could have happened. Completely unbelievable. Shocked

Is there any other image of that happening ever? Rumor? The noise that thing must have been making...

Maple Valley bus?

Well, it was one of those times when we were cold and tired and been working our buns off and sometimes that might make you a little sloppy, if you know what I mean.

Yes, Maple Valley bus. There was NO OIL in that tranny. On the one hand, I did lie underneath on the damp ground and bolt the side plate back in place. On the other hand, I did not put any oil in it. That was perhaps a mistake. Wink Embarassed
It was making a really bad noise when we pulled into the restaurant to eat, halfway home. After dinner we just dragged it the rest of the way hope and it squealed like a pig all the way. (very few cars on the road, FWIW)
The backing plate had a smile eaten into it.

Yes, there were shortcuts taken that should not have been. I plead exhaustion.
Don't take shortcuts, be careful and safe.
kombisutra
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the absolute CAKE!

My most fun boner move was dragging a 60 beetle out of a hillside being optimistic that the stuck drum would unstick, dragged the beetle 4 miles, laughing hysterically -with all the smoke, then sparks etc. I dragged a flat spot into that little wheel about an inch into the rim Laughing I finally pulled over, wailed on it with the sledge hammer and finally unstuck er'. Then I dragged that pitiful thing on the rim and flat another 5 miles to my shop. Was pretty silly and moronic, but it was a completely rural area with no chance of endangering any other motorists.

We've gotta' drink a few over some of these stories, I've got others that were pretty crazy.

I just can't beleive that picture Shocked

Last edited by kombisutra on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrBusCo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put on another 120 trouble free miles today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never flat tow a bus that I was not sure about wheel bearings, tires and brake hardware rattling inside the drum or the drum locked up. If your running gear is in good shape flat towing is the way to go IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Will either of these work for a bus? Reply with quote

I am looking at a couple used tow bars to move my bus (66 deluxe) a few miles. Can anyone tell me if these will fit? The seller does not know what VW these came with.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busboyjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upper looks like mine, though I reinforced the cap out of it and swapped the cheesy pin for bolts and nylocks. Lower looks like a bumper-pull. Anyone confirm?
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busboyjake wrote:
Upper looks like mine, though I reinforced the cap out of it and swapped the cheesy pin for bolts and nylocks. Lower looks like a bumper-pull. Anyone confirm?

I would concur. Some careful measurements of a bus and the top towbar would tell for sure. I replaced the through-pin setup with u-bolts that clamp the beam tightly to the towbar. takes longer to hookup, but there is absolutely no slop in the system, and therefore no highway wobble.
Kiwinw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses and info.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: