Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Wheel Flew Off!
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: My Wheel Flew Off! Reply with quote

Hey Everyone! Wheels suck! Love the feeling of death!!
K awesome story, so i bought my car last year in the fall of 2009. Its a 69 type 3 squareback. I absolutly love it ha anyways so i saw the add for it for sale here on the site and i was super interested. Now im from Ogden Utah and It was out in Provo Utah if your familair where that is. Its about a two hour drive from where i live. anyways the guy wanted 3500 for the car so my friend drove me out there to get it. It turns out i though the guy said 3000 dollars so i didnt bring all the money so i told him i would send it in a week. we did all the paper work and the car was mine.

now on the way home with my girlfriend and my friend in the car we were just buzzing along till we hit salt lake so we had already been going for about an hour. We started to feel a shaking feeling but we figured it was just the road hahaha BIG MISTAKE!! at about 65 miles per hour the wheel came flying off ha we didnt crash the car or anything but it creased in the back fender pretty good Sad
we were fishtailing and flyin all over and sparks were going everywhere!!
i look back and see my friend keaton laughing about the situation?? we were about to DIE!!! I look over at my girlfriend and she is just screaming!! ha i was just shock.

After sliding about 2 million feet down the freeway we were stopped on the side. NO JOKE about 2 seconds after we were stopped the wheel comes flying past the car and back into the interstate. I just watched it fly by and hit the wall on the other side! ha just like the movies!!
I got out of the car and was shocked with what happend. I could hear the sweet sound of nothingness. Long story short. NO DEATHS ha thank you lord.

I ended up having to get the car towed the rest of the way back and called my father to come get me. He was not so happy. I almost completly grinded out my shock mount and cut my brake line. Its all fixed now and running good (=
ANSAracingb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'll teach ya to be $500 short lol! Wink

I'm kidding! I did have an image of the seller sneaking around to a wheel with a lug-bolt wrench though (right before you left the driveway too), hahaha

Good thing you and your girlfriend were safe, it could have been much worse.
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing happen! Except my car was in tow, not being driven. Also, lug nuts or the castle nut? (that came off)
letthemusicflow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M neighbor's dodge did that right down the road, and the wheel hit my house...it almost broke through the window Shocked

Beetle Bums VW Club Member
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANSAracingb wrote:
That'll teach ya to be $500 short lol! Wink

I'm kidding! I did have an image of the seller sneaking around to a wheel with a lug-bolt wrench though (right before you left the driveway too), hahaha

Good thing you and your girlfriend were safe, it could have been much worse.

hahahah I like that (=
that put a good image in my head of him doing that ha
scary good memory for sure
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

letthemusicflow wrote:
M neighbor's dodge did that right down the road, and the wheel hit my house...it almost broke through the window Shocked

hahaha thats some bad luck haha
final destination
RETURN OF THE DODGE WHEEL Cool hahaha
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

letthemusicflow wrote:

What is up with the wheels flying off!! ha
cars can try to commit suicide to i guess ha
i think mine has learned to deal with me cause it is not tryin that no more Smile haha
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was loose?
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeviMan2001 wrote:
What was loose?

all the lugs on one of the left back wheel ha
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trev Type 3 wrote:
LeviMan2001 wrote:
What was loose?

all the lugs on one of the left back wheel ha

Oh Geez! Mine was the castle nut for the drum, so the whole assembly came off. Someone had taken the drum off and didn't put the cotter pin back in, so it came off Shocked
Trev Type 3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow they just left the cotter pin out hahahaha
real smart ha
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, right? Good thing it was just a parts car though (well, for everything except the left rear brakes now) Laughing
kaferkind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So once in New Mexico my friends and I decide to go on a midnight tripp cruse. Everything started well on pavement ,but consistently turned to dirt then rutts, finally full blown offroad in a 71 super. I wasn't in my right mind so my thoughts directed to my baja I had taken down this particular road many times . About the time I convince myself all is fine the right rear tire pops off.I wasn't going very fast so no problems getting off the road. With the phycadelic effects hindering my perception I search and find the missing wheel in the bush. My good friend takes the wheel and starts jacking the car when the enevidable question arises, where are the lugs? By this time others are in the back screaming,
"gudentight....put it on gudentight, it's a German car put em on gudentight"
Yeah this was real fun tring to jack the car and put up with tripping mechanical idiots all at the same tiime. I'm searching everywhere for the lugs. Remember I'm not right in the head to begin with and I'm hearing the wildlife while searching lug nuts with a cigarette lighter . I'm now scared for being eaten! To calm myself I go back to the car defeated by my missing lug nuts. Before I get in the car I kick the tire still on the ground. Out pops a single lug. elated I pop off the hub cap revealing all four lugs trapped by the hub. Immediately I proceed in jacking the car to compensate for the trippers jumping in the back and sinking the jack. By this point I'm peaking and the wolves are close. I must be in the middle of nowhere. Wrong after all the chaos I flip on the light...You guessed it,pavement. Always remember to put on
your lugs gudentight!
roy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaferkind wrote:
So once in New Mexico my friends and I decide to go on a midnight tripp cruse. Everything started well on pavement ,but consistently turned to dirt then rutts, finally full blown offroad in a 71 super. I wasn't in my right mind so my thoughts directed to my baja I had taken down this particular road many times . About the time I convince myself all is fine the right rear tire pops off.I wasn't going very fast so no problems getting off the road. With the phycadelic effects hindering my perception I search and find the missing wheel in the bush. My good friend takes the wheel and starts jacking the car when the enevidable question arises, where are the lugs? By this time others are in the back screaming,
"gudentight....put it on gudentight, it's a German car put em on gudentight"
Yeah this was real fun tring to jack the car and put up with tripping mechanical idiots all at the same tiime. I'm searching everywhere for the lugs. Remember I'm not right in the head to begin with and I'm hearing the wildlife while searching lug nuts with a cigarette lighter . I'm now scared for being eaten! To calm myself I go back to the car defeated by my missing lug nuts. Before I get in the car I kick the tire still on the ground. Out pops a single lug. elated I pop off the hub cap revealing all four lugs trapped by the hub. Immediately I proceed in jacking the car to compensate for the trippers jumping in the back and sinking the jack. By this point I'm peaking and the wolves are close. I must be in the middle of nowhere. Wrong after all the chaos I flip on the light...You guessed it,pavement. Always remember to put on
your lugs gudentight!

awsome night and can I can relate Wink

Some day when the rust is gone, I will at last found inner peace... (Peace has Been Found)

"Wide awake, and keeping distance from my soul"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: