Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AAR question....relay?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 am    Post subject: AAR question....relay? Reply with quote

84 1.9L MT
First, did the brotherly thing and loaned my Bentley to a bro in NM. He left town for work leaving my book locked in his westy. A week later I left town cuz I only stay in NM during the boating season. Book's in the mail but I swear I almost removed a side window from his westy to get it back!
So, awhile back I was chasing my crapy, loping, sometimes surging, shit-tastic in town MPG, rich at idle problem. Yep I checked that, and that too, and that thing over there as well. I like to test things before replacing them, more and more of these parts are becoming NLA, so I like to know for sure. One of the things I looked into was the AAR. I tested for power to the plug=all good
Removed AAR from van and applied 12V to the terminals, looked inside the thing and watched it open up, removed 12V and watched it close=all good
The hoses were shot so I replaced them.
Yesterday while beating my head against the wall some more with this issue, reached down in there and pinched the hose going into the AAR.
Engine cold= NO change in idle, hmm, that ain't right
Engine @ op temp=No change in idle
Is there a relay that tells the AAR when to open?
After the engine is at opperating temp, the AAR is supposed to be wide open and would have no affect on the idle, correct?
Based on bench testing this thing, it works just fine. In the vehicle, apparently it does not.
Any thoughts?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming it is wired the same as earlier aircooled engines, the AAR is powered by the fuel pump relay and is grounded through the ECU.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: AAR question....relay? Reply with quote

seanjenn wrote:

After the engine is at opperating temp, the AAR is supposed to be wide open and would have no affect on the idle, correct?

Opposite: At cold-start, the valve should be wide open; as the engine heats up, the valve should be shut tight. Valve open at operating temp = wide open vacuum/air leak.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the thing to do would be, go run some errands and get the van nice and warm. Then, while it's idling, all lumpy as usual, pinch off the hose going into the AAR. If the idle levels out, this tells me that the AAR is staying open, and is faulty. Correct?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanjenn wrote:
So the thing to do would be, go run some errands and get the van nice and warm. Then, while it's idling, all lumpy as usual, pinch off the hose going into the AAR. If the idle levels out, this tells me that the AAR is staying open, and is faulty. Correct?

The AAR has nothing to do with mixture, just engine idle speed. If it is staying open it will cause a fast smooth idle.
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...not fast or smooth. back to the drawing board i guess. sumbitch Mad
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanjenn wrote:
yeah...not fast or smooth. back to the drawing board i guess. sumbitch Mad

Check your fuel pressure - the regulator has a diaphragm inside that can tear from old age.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: