Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

PB blast in water tank
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: PB blast in water tank Reply with quote

Well a month or so ago I was trying to get the original submersable pump in the water tank to work. I did something pretty dumb, in that I sprayed the little impeller on the bottom of the pump with PB blaster and in a moment of thoughtlessness, I let the pump slip back in the water. I've rinsed the tank numerous times, but still the smell and probably the residue is in the tank. what now? wash with dish detergent or degreaser and rinse for a long time? is there a better cleaner to use? I'd really like to get rid of any traces before I put a new line, pump and faucet.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just a stab in the dark, but I would not hesitate to try vinegar, as my electric coffee maker suggests running a batch of vinegar instead of water once a month to clean it up, and guess what, no after taste of vinegar.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PB Blaster is an oil and it's going to be in the pump's impeller as well. Perhaps water lines or anything else the oily water contacted. You'll want to use a detergent such as Dawn dishwashing liquid and hot water. I'm not familiar with the tank in terms of how easy it would be to then rinse out the soapy water (drains?, etc) but the water would then be carrying dissolved oil and need to be drained after a few minutes of agitation. Then I'd repeat again perhaps a couple times and then rinse several times continuing to use very hot water. That stuff's got a cloying odor - I use it a lot.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the pump and the hose is out and gone. I'm going to put in a new pump and hose and faucet, so I want the tank to have no trace before the new stuff goes in. I suppose dawn, scrub with brush and rinse over and over. vinegar should help with smell once the oil is gone, but don't know if it would disolve oil...maybe it would!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oil & Vinegar and toss in the greens Laughing Soap and hot water, then several rinses and then vinegar and cow brand soda. Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dawn is probably one of your best bets here. Given that PB is essentially an oil, why not use what breaks down oils and such from your kitchen pretty well. Probably give a healthy amount of Dawn, a good amount of water, and then seal it all up and go do some donuts in a parking lot that has speedbumps. Smile

Good luck!
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten it on my hands before and no amount of washing with detergents will remove the smell. Only time. Good luck with it.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the hands try rubbing them with lemons. That may cut the smell, it works for other things (foods) that leave a smell. Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denatured alcohol cleans oil and flashes off pretty good. pour as much as you need in run it through the pump dump it let it dry then bleach and water then fresh water. I just made this up but it was the first thought on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SL1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have extensive experience with Fresh Water tanks, as a C/O of a Coast Guard Vessel, and potable water is an extremely important issue for a ship.

Your tank is probably a write off, hydrocarbons and petroleum based products can actually fuse into the molecular compounds in your tank -because its plastic. If it was a negligible amount, you can probably get by

You can try to wash it out with a citrus based cleaner, but that may well leave a aromatic smell in the tank, if you attempt to use a detergent, then 'sunlight' is best. there are no gaurrantees. the citrus smell will dissipate over time.

For everybody using these tanks, they should be superchlorinated for a minimum period of 4 hrs. the ratio os 1L/M3, or basically 50mg/litre - of unscented bleach. Check the best before date - it actually has one

the superchlorinated solution must then be run through the hose and faucet as well, for a minimum of five minutes

tank must be drained and flushed, at least 4 times with fresh water, then
air dried. You should do this every year to keep safe. Never take chances with potable water - personally, I will never use my 25 yr old plastic tank for potable water. I am planning on having a stainless steel tank fabricated as part of the restore project of my van. You can get some stainless at any place that sells used restaurant equipment and have it welded up.

Good luck
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me in this situation and I wanted to thoroughly clean the tank I'd try to clean it in place with Dawn, etc but I'd be ready to remove it (but that is somewhat a PITA). With it removed you can thoroughly agitate and repeat many times with various cleaners as necessary. If you can't get it clean then you are halfway done to replacing it.

Sorry for your misfortune.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found household ammonia is pretty good at cutting grease. I'd do the dishwashing-liquid wash-out and add a couple of tablespoons of ammonia--then the serial rinsing out as others have suggested.

---
Kathy
88 Westy
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you know this, but whatever you do don't mix bleach and ammonia!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_when_you_combine_bleach_and_ammonia.
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL1 wrote:
Your tank is probably a write off, hydrocarbons and petroleum based products can actually fuse into the molecular compounds in your tank -because its plastic. If it was a negligible amount, you can probably get by

I pretty much think SL1 nailed it with this advice. I personally wouldn't take a chance. I like the idea of getting a stainless steel tank made up. I've thought about this in the past and still haven't done it but it's a good idea. I think I'd go smaller too since I've never, ever even come close to using all the water in the tank on a trip. Water is really heavy too. Most of the time I find it more convenient just to use a separate 5 gallon jug anyway since the faucet is kinda slow and the sink is kinda small.

Thanks to teej for the reminder about chlorine and ammonia too.
'96 BMW R1100GS
One more islander...
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

teej wrote:
I'm sure you know this, but whatever you do don't mix bleach and ammonia!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_happens_when_you_combine_bleach_and_ammonia.

For sure!

Two separate processes: 1) cleaning a tank with soap/ammonia>>several rinses with fresh water; 2) disinfecting the water you carry with bleach.

The intermediate rinses should do it.

---
Kathy
climberjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or, to approach this from a different angle . . .

You can do what many Samba folks do, and that's use the on board tank for hand and dish washing only, and carry water in a refillable jug for drinking.

Unless you are dry camping for more than a few days, 5 gallons of potable water should last you for some time.

-CJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone for the good ideas. I'll try citrus degreaser/cleaner and a green scrub pad, rinse a lot then detergent and rinse a lot. then some of the other agents suggested.

it was dumb, I knew it the minute I dropped the pump back in the water. I jerked the pump back up and drained the water. flushed it several times. refilled and went camping. the smell was there, and now I think it is more in those soft plactic water lines than the tank. will change those for sure.

we usually do take drinking water in a container, and did for sure last time. but I love the convenience of a water tank and faucet, even tho little and slow.
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could the inside of the tank be coated?
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it dosen't feel like it, but maybe it has penetrated the material of the tank. is is penetrating oil, after all. bummer Sad
ger320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: PB blast in water tank Reply with quote

debbiej wrote:
Well a month or so ago I was trying to get the original submersable pump in the water tank to work. I did something pretty dumb, in that I sprayed the little impeller on the bottom of the pump with PB blaster and in a moment of thoughtlessness, I let the pump slip back in the water. I've rinsed the tank numerous times, but still the smell and probably the residue is in the tank. what now? wash with dish detergent or degreaser and rinse for a long time? is there a better cleaner to use? I'd really like to get rid of any traces before I put a new line, pump and faucet.

Does anyone know how to remove a fresh water tank in a 1987?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: