Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ray Vallero stroker build for my '63 ragtop bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rivets are that length for a reason.. After 20 years of service you'll see why. Joe made the shrouds this way and he told me why, the very first DTM that he built I have and it doesn't have this rivet length, that came later after issues.. I retained that part of his design.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VIN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, That piques my interest. Do tell.
As I usually refrain from using bolts that are 4 times as long as I need...

Click to view image
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note, I got my car back on the road and am going to be at Bugorama #70 in Sacramento tomorrow (Sunday), it will probably be in the show.

The issue that I lost my "clutch" at the track April 7 that parked the car turned out to be the Kennedy pressure plate. They repaired it under warranty.

Other than that, Ray didn't do much more (even though we have a list of things to finish) since I miss my dang car so much I want to DRIVE it. He did wrap the exhaust further:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And put a smaller upper pulley:

He wants to see where it is at on temps for now with these changes and it's running a bit hotter in summer now (in the 90's outside and it is very hilly here), around 195-210 degrees on the oil gauge, but not a huge difference than last winter/spring temp.

I know that you all want to know exact head temps with a gauge, but I have explained in this thread that we cannot run one, it will not fit with the shortened manifolds. Again, it does not smell hot, never pings, never diesels, and we are using oil to cool the heads, so they are related.

The future work as he gets time is:

Adding more vanes to the shroud (if we keep it) and sealing the gap in it so it's more airtight.
Fixing the endplay in the new alternator.
Drilling the exhaust push rods.
Adding fans to the external oil coolers for when in traffic.
Possibly ceramic coating the exhaust under the wrap.
Wrapping the exhaust all the way to the merge.
Possibly detuning the compression if necessary.
Possibly switching to different manifolds with better clearance to the spark plugs.
Rebuilding the IDA's issues.

One big issue that I have is that I must have heat in winter, this is a DD. I have considered a gas heater to not upset the apple cart of the motor combination. Ray has two NOS gas heaters laying around the shop we could use. Or, we switch to a different shroud, racing heater boxes, etc...

As you all can see, this is not finished and will be a work in progress as most one off builds are. Nothing is ever in stone, it's all about trial and error and deciding what will ultimately work long term for me.

But, the motor runs like a top. Very smooth and reliable, starts right up, idles great, pulls hard through all ranges, and is a freaking kick in the ass. It's approx 180HP and probably gets high 13's in a 1/4 mile. It's a beautiful thing.

Come say hello at Bugorama!! Smile

Hugo - '63 ragtop Cal Look bug - Hugo and Dawn - together since 1978
Engine build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482095

Trans build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7602210
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the up date, i keep re reading this thread as i'm doing a build my self, was just reading over on cal look tonight as it happens!

Thanks Smile
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW: I needed some IDA covers for Bugorama show tomorrow. Tommy cleaned and painted some cat food cans, perfect fit. Ghetto Fabulous:

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsimas62 wrote:
BTW: I needed some IDA covers for Bugorama show tomorrow. Tommy cleaned and painted some cat food cans, perfect fit. Ghetto Fabulous:

FUN_NY!
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hows the temps doing? staying ok? have you got any pics of the inside of the fan housing?

Nibble's IDA covers Wink
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsimas62 wrote:
I know that you all want to know exact head temps with a gauge, but I have explained in this thread that we cannot run one, it will not fit with the shortened manifolds.

Question

If the plug wire will fit so will a sending unit wire since its 1/16th the size.
aircooled356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the update. I wish I had known that Hugo was going to be there. I took my 17 yr old daughter and camped/swap meeted and had a great time.
Got to see Ray and the Zestorer run a 10.9 before we had to leave. Congrats. What was the outcome?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
disneymike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to meet you this weekend Dawn and I do dig the white kitty food IDA covers!! Very Happy
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:
dsimas62 wrote:
I know that you all want to know exact head temps with a gauge, but I have explained in this thread that we cannot run one, it will not fit with the shortened manifolds.

Question

If the plug wire will fit so will a sending unit wire since its 1/16th the size.

I apologize, but I have no idea how it works, I'm not a mechanic, just reporting for one. Wink Ray said it won't fit. I assumed the sender sits in the spark plug hole with the plug and there was no clearance. But that's an assumption.

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aircooled356 wrote:

Got to see Ray and the Zestorer run a 10.9 before we had to leave. Congrats. What was the outcome?

Tony won ProGas! And that was after he broke the cam gear spacer in time trials Saturday and had to tear down the case to fix it at 2am the night before eliminations. He earned the hell out of that win. Smile

Hugo won 2nd place in the show, which floored me.

This car is rough due to being driven, rock chipped, faded paint, tear in the seat, old rubber in the doors, etc. And it was up against a lot of perfect queens. I assume we won on Back Story, people love a good story and Hugo and I have got one. I had this picture on the window of the car in the BOR #VII (probably 1983 or 1984) show, and it looks the same. Smile

Another delay for right now: I broke the clutch cable about 20 miles from home last weekend. Drove it back anyways, but now cannot get the new cable in because the bowden tube is pulling away in the tunnel. This has needed to be addressed for years and now it has to be done. Cutting into the tunnel to repair. Sad

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: "Mini-Treffen" and coastal cruise Reply with quote

As many of you may recall, I organized a "Mini-Treffen" Coastal Cruise for Hugo's maiden voyage last February and it was a success and a great weekend! Many requests to do it again, and rather than wait until spring when the scheds are so busy with first of the season VW events, is there any interest in doing it this fall? If so, suggestions on dates appreciated.

I can ask Mark Merrill his schedule in offering his private collection up for a personal tour again. Last time, we drove down to San Jose from Auburn (where the museum is), had hot dogs and lunch provided and toured Merrill's, then drove up 280 to 92 and over to Half Moon Bay for the Comfort Inn and dinner at the Chowder House and watched the sunset into the ocean.

Next morning, we cruised down the best driving portion of Hwy 1 to Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and into the redwoods for lunch at Roaring Camp where the steam train rides are. Then came home that afternoon/evening on the levee roads past Isleton, etc, with stops along the river/bars.

We originally intended to add a 2nd night in Monterey/Carmel and meet up with the Monterey VW Club for a cruise to Big Sur. But many couldn't make the 2nd night because of work. Is there any interest in making it 3 days? Or is two better?

Here's our video from Feb:

Link

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been driving the car to work daily for about 4000 miles now. No issues, runs like a daily driver should. Smile

Took the car to Bugorama 71 last weekend. Had a blast, got to run 5 times. Red lighted like an idiot, but my fastest time was 14.64, 92mph. I know I can do much better, it was me, not the car.

Going to the dyno tomorrow finally! Any guesses?

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsimas62 wrote:

Going to the dyno tomorrow finally! Any guesses?

From your time I would have said around 110 ATW but if you really fluffed the 1/4 then it could be closer to 120-130, but only time on the dyno will tell, I'm just guessin

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
ralf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome update Smile

always nice to see "daily driven" builds

wat was the trap speed on ur mid 14sec run? that could tell more on the HP of the motor..

eitherway... a 14sec grocery getter would spill milk LOL!

porting my SP head for my brother's project
https://youtu.be/OS_mVjQuqgk
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I almost forgot. How is your temps with that fan shroud, oil and heads?
Quokka42
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this one just now, and it took me a while to read through it (must admit I skipped through some of the posturing.)

Great thread - thanks for putting it up Dawn.

I kind of expected some of the responses - something like that is always going to upset people. Someone like Ray has found ways to do things and is probably set in his ways - though I was impressed how open he was to input. These ways might not be the same as other experienced builders, nor Samba Lore, but they obviously work. Your first engine from him clocking up 200k and 28 years at 100HP certainly proves that.

I'm always here to learn, first and foremost, and am always open to being proved wrong. I'd be very interested if there are any further developments with the center shroud as I believed for a long time they were a dud. Having said that, I have wondered if it would be practical to make one of these work, as it is largely the achievement of equal pressure (=flow) on each side that is important.

Suggest to Ray that he fit one of the common CHT gauges, but remove the thermocouple from the fitting for the sparkplug and insert in in a drilled hole in the boss for the fuel injection CHT sensor. It won't be as fast, but should give you a good idea of how the heads are going. The fact that you have clocked up 4k suggests not too bad.
JustBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how did Lil Red do at the dyno? I'd like to see pics of the power run if you don't mind.

BTW, will you be running Hugo down to the California Bug Bash in Antioch on June 23?
http://www.californiabugbash.com/
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dang dyno people didn't have a "vw adaptor" with them at the event that we were going to do it. It was a friend's event and he told them, but oh well. I will get around to going to a regular roller dyno sometime soon...

As far as the temps, I have an IR gun in the car and I check things often as summer temps have risen over the 4K+ miles I've put on it.

Most of the time, I take the reading after arriving at work. I drive it 25 minutes, 23 miles, up 1500' in elevation from home (two good climbs). They have been consistent all along. The only issue we are having is from the merged exhaust radiating up to the tin, so I'm taking those temps also for info on it. I am going to wrap the rest of the exhaust (we only wrapped the j tube, see in the thread) the next time I can get the car up on a rack at Ray's shop. That should help. I wanted to ceramic coat it, but they said it's too old now (starting to rust).

In the spring/fall when the outside average temp outside is 60-90: 168F case, 195 heads.
Over 90F: 178 case, 235 heads.
Exhaust is always around 340-365, tin is 270-330.

This fan shroud is working well. He added vanes inside and bench tested it to get the direction even on both sides. He's still not done, but just tabled things as time and money allow. We ultimately want to add a few more vanes and more importantly, seal the gap in the "front" of the shroud to the fan. There's a huge gap there that leaks a ton of air. We have a 2nd shroud in the shop and will fiddle with fabricating it and then swap it out eventually.

That and wrapping the exhaust and adding some fans to the two oil coolers for when I'm sitting in traffic are on the list. The temp goes up about 10-20 degrees when in stop and go traffic in Sacto in 90-100 degree days. It's just hard to get that climb back down once moving on a hot day, so preventing it a bit is worth a try. Another customer of Ray's added a fan to a hot car's external cooler and it helped.

I will ask Ray about the CHT sensor suggestion. But even if the IR gun is 100% accurate, the #'s are so low at this point that I don't think they are a terrible concern.

I will have Hugo at the NASA race at Sacto Raceway tomorrow if anyone wants to come out and say hello in the pits. Smile

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: