Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ray Vallero stroker build for my '63 ragtop bug
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish I could have had my new motor built there......but after three weeks of phone calls/emails so much frustration......then I was told they were to busy now and check back latter??? Youre kidding..............the lady that answers the phone/emails dosent have a clue what shes doing. Wished I could have dealt with Ray the entire time, and I may would have a new engine by now from him.
Dr OnHolliday
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ it was a test of you. Conclusion? You're no daisy at all...LOL couldn't resist
1965 Type 1 sunroof Baja / about 70k miles on self-rebuilt '74 1600 and counting / SP heads and aftermarket valve keepers / non-doghouse shroud with external cooler and filter / 1.5 qt extended sump / Weber 32/36 DFAV progressive carb / 009 dist with Pertronix / 1.25 ratio rockers and ball adjusters / 1.5" stainless steel J-pipes and carbon steel baja exhaust
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyRingo wrote:
......the lady that answers the phone/emails dosent have a clue what shes doing. Wished I could have dealt with Ray the entire time, and I may would have a new engine by now from him.

I don't work at the shop, so I cannot speak for what happened to you. But I must say, you must have patience to get work done there. Ray is basically a one man show and quality work takes time.

And the lady that answers the phone is his girlfriend, Joanne Lowry. Yes, *that* Lowry. Her father was Dean of Deano Dyno-Soars.

Hugo - '63 ragtop Cal Look bug - Hugo and Dawn - together since 1978
Engine build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482095

Trans build thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7602210
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on getting info on the adjustable belt that I got from Trond in Norway...

But I found some pics from last year of the tranny brace that Ray installed. He calls them "rabbit ears" and he's done this for decades. I can't use a typical traction bar because when I "Cal Looked" the car back in 1978, the fenders were welded to the aprons in front and back. The beading was removed from the body at that seam for a smooth look for shows. It would crack there if I braced the trans to the body. So, here's what I have:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And, like I said, I have a trans build thread now (see my sig). Yesterday we found 3 spider teeth in the magnetic plug, just as we suspected.

If you watch the video of me at Bugorama a few pages back, you can see how I was babying it. But with this much power, it was time. When this tranny's done, and now that it's braced, I got a tach and a helmet... we'll finally see what this motor can do this year. Very Happy

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
JohnnyRingo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsimas62 wrote:
JohnnyRingo wrote:
......the lady that answers the phone/emails dosent have a clue what shes doing. Wished I could have dealt with Ray the entire time, and I may would have a new engine by now from him.

I don't work at the shop, so I cannot speak for what happened to you. But I must say, you must have patience to get work done there. Ray is basically a one man show and quality work takes time.

And the lady that answers the phone is his girlfriend, Joanne Lowry. Yes, *that* Lowry. Her father was Dean of Deano Dyno-Soars.
I agree....I have followed all of the post, that's why I decided to have an engine built by him. But it was a very frustrating experience and could never get anything pinned down on the build, price, or time frame? Then was told were to busy call back? May try again someday? Hope communication relations gets better as time passes........I don't mind waiting, but it seems that anyone who is self employed runs a business its the same across the board. People don't understand without customers they have no bread and butter....believe me I work on the other end, and my company would not stand for this kind of a customer relationship....I would be out the door. Just my two cents. For the record waiting on a build from cb preformance going on three months...so I have a little patience.
Dvo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: I am deeply impressed!!! Reply with quote

Link

two things Dawn: 1: I crept these forums and have learned more on this thread than all of YouTube combined so far. Thank you for such detailed and amazing descriptions. As much work went into this thread it seems as your engine.

2nd: when you filmed a run down the track you had two songs in the YouTube video. Second one was by mezzanine but the first one was incredible but I can't find/shazzam it to save my life. It sounds like 'Strenght' by Deluxx Jewellz. Could you tell me exactly who it is without the rap lyrics?

My gratitude in advance.... Very Happy

-Dvo
cannibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Ray Vallero Reply with quote

RIP Ray !
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I am deeply impressed!!! Reply with quote

Dvo wrote:

when you filmed a run down the track you had two songs in the YouTube video. Second one was by mezzanine but the first one was incredible but I can't find/shazzam it to save my life.
-Dvo

Sorry, I just saw your post Dvo. It's called "Intro" by The XX. Is that the one you are looking for?

wrote:
RIP Ray

As you noted, I am sorry to announce that Ray Vallero passed away last Tuesday of a massive heart attack at work. As you can imagine, we are all very saddened and shocked. I am helping the family at this time, so please be patient as they decide the future of the shop. We will be putting together a memorial event. It will probably include a car show and caravan. Possibly from Southern CA up to Northern CA, with the memorial here in Auburn.

He will be greatly missed. I am forever grateful to have had the opportunity to document as much of his talent as we did, and also to have considered him one of my oldest friends.

Dawn

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the story/video done by Hagerty Insurance last month, awarding us Classic of the Year 2015.

Full article along with the video here:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2015/07/20/VW-love-story

And here is the story about Ray Vallero that was added after he passed recently:

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/Articles/2015/07/17/Ray-Vallero

Here's just the video for those of you that don't like to read the extra stuff...

Link

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gutted to read of Ray's passing in the last issue of HotVWs...
Crying or Very sad

I'm really glad I got to meet him at the last Bug-O, and thank him for taking the time to share his knowledge here.

Really, the credit for this goes to you, Dawn, as Ray said to me himself.

It's a beautiful thing that you took the time to document some of his tools/procedures for the world, here on this thread.

A golden era of American innovation is drawing to a close.
The days where skilled craftsmen can dedicate their entire lives to creating new and different ways of building motors are nearly over.

Thank you Dawn for documenting some of Ray's work.
You have done us a great service.

RIP Ray.

What’s That Noise?!?
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Clatter, that means so much to me to hear you say that. It was a painstaking process that I will never regret. Smile

Okay, we're off to the racetrack! We will have Ray Vallero's 912 race car on display at Bugorama in Sacramento this weekend. In the old drag racer tradition, his kids and grandkids will be towing it down the track during a moment of silence. We will have videos and the cars, etc, at a special location provided by BOR: By the staging lanes, past the snack shack, near the announcer's tower. Lynda will be racing Greg Urrutia's car and Ken Porter will be racing my Hugo (I tore my ACL recently) and we are doing mods to get it into the 13 second range like Ray wanted to see this year. Please come see us!!!

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tore your acl?! I feel for you! Hope recovery is speedy!
Fingers crossed for the 13's! A fitting tribute!
Portersprecision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got well into the 13's. 13.56@ 95.31mph. Took R/U in sportsman eliminator as well. I never got a chance to dial in jetting totally as it went quicker as air was going away. Tells me on lean side . Therefore I left the muffler on whole time as I needed bracket tight numbers. Stinger with more fuel and good air means more power to be tapped yet. [/img]
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiles,no dents= fun....even if you happen to go out first round. Shocked Wink
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray would be proud of you. I am lucky enough to have one of the last engines he built before he passed. Matt

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
dsimas62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Vallero stroker build for my '63 ragtop bug Reply with quote

Just throwing this out there:

This engine is going up for sale. It may or may not be paired up with the "indestructible" transmission that Ray finished building to match it, literally days before he died.

I have $8500-9000 in parts alone in this engine. I don't even recall the $$ I had into the tranny. And this does not include any labor or machine work done by Ray, which was all traded for the publicity. Easily a priceless amount, hundreds if not 1000's of hours over the period of a year or two for the build. Truthfully, not a single component wasn't modified by him for a perfect combination build.

I don't want to part it out, even though that would make me more $. I'm waffling on how to go about this. As you can imagine, it's a bit emotional. Opinions appreciated.

The motor got 34mpg when I kept my foot out of the IDA's, just commuting and running around town. It ran cool, almost too cool in the winter here in CA, and around 185-190F in the summers. I can discuss this more with those interested.

Since Ray passed away, I haven't driven Hugo much at all. Without the mechanic/builder, I lost my passion for racing. Ken Porter of Porter's Precision (who drove Hugo for me at BOR and got it into the mid 13's pretty easily), removed this incredible motor and has put Hugo's old motor back in. If you recall, Ray Vallero built a 1600cc 100hp motor in 1983 for me that I drove for 30 years. We did a build thread on freshening it up for the first time a few years ago for Velvet, my bus. It is nice to have my original old motor back in my car and hopefully it will last the rest of my lifetime, knowing Ray's skill and trackrecord.

Peace,
Dawn

Engine build thread:

Trans build thread:
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Vallero stroker build for my '63 ragtop bug Reply with quote

Question Question Question Confused:Why sell something that will never be duplicated, should be bulletproof for the rest of your lifetime, gets incredible mileage and hauls the freight? Question Question Question Question Put it back in, set the valves, change the oil and enjoy. There are plenty of talented guys in CA that can tune it up if needed. Even if Ray only spent 500 hours building everything, do you have $50,000 to spend on that kind of labour again?

brad
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Vallero stroker build for my '63 ragtop bug Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Question Question Question Confused:Why sell something that will never be duplicated, should be bulletproof for the rest of your lifetime, gets incredible mileage and hauls the freight? Question Question Question Question Put it back in, set the valves, change the oil and enjoy. There are plenty of talented guys in CA that can tune it up if needed. Even if Ray only spent 500 hours building everything, do you have $50,000 to spend on that kind of labour again?

brad

^^^^this^^^^

The only one that “knows how you feel” is yourself. You never get over the death of someone close, but time has a way of helping you deal with it better. Whatever effect Ray’s passing has had, to me, it would be a damn shame for all of the work/documentation that went into this build to simply be “sold off”. I personally respect Ray’s accomplishments, and have learned a few things specifically from your build threads. If it wasn’t for Hot VW’s, or your build threads, I wouldn’t know who Ray Vallero was. You would have to find someone nostalgic that was familiar with Ray to even get any value out of the engine/trans. NO ONE else realizes the significance, or has more of a connection with these builds than you do. With as cheap as VW people seem to be, I wouldn’t be surprised if you could only get back half of your investment of your parts, and nothing for your labor. If it’s a life, or death monetary situation, do what you have to do. If not, hold on to it. Mike Herbert was trying to get Mark’s car back for a while.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ray Vallero stroker build for my '63 ragtop bug Reply with quote

The last time I was in Auburn, it felt strange driving by Ray's old shop, rather than turning down the lane to see what Ray was up to. At least you're in good hands with Kenny, Dawn .. Thanks again for taking the time to document Ray's attention to detail in your great thread.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ray Vallero stroker build for my '63 ragtop bug Reply with quote

WOW!!! what a find here on The Samba.. Motors that are good for 7-10 years and few that are good for 17-20 years and i got some insight as to why. What an awesome thread!! RIP Mr Vallero , you will obviously be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: