Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dress up parts
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Dress up parts Reply with quote

Lock if this becomes a flame war, I'm just curious..

20 years ago I'd always hear "Chrome won't get you home" in reference to the crap aftermarket chrome dress up kits that were poorly designed and didn't do their jobs.. Is Billet aluminum the new chrome?

The pieces all look pretty, but do they hold up?

This morning I had a billet aluminum alternator pulley nut strip out all of it's threads while I was driving. I admit, I didn't install it "correctly" in the sense that I didn't use a torque wrench, but I wasn't expecting it to fail. I tightened it up the way I (and probably most of you) always do, get it snug, then go about 1/8 to a 1/4 turn further.

This alternator pulley and nut came from a reputable source, and I've e-mailed asking if they think I screwed something up or if there is some other problem, so I don't want to put them on blast without giving them a chance to get back to me, but I'm disappointed..

The pulley had a bit of a taper, and the nut had a matching one, but tightening it as I did cause the nut to eat into the pulley and was doing damage, so I wound up putting a washer between the nut and the dress up piece that separates it from the pulley, that stopped further damage there, but I feel like I shouldn't have to do things like that..

I'm probably just being whiny about it.. thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
-Admiral Arleigh Burke, USN(ret.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stripped66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:

This morning I had a billet aluminum alternator pulley nut strip out all of it's threads while I was driving.

Is the nut itself aluminum?

I don't think electrickery works that way
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

Apparently billet won't get you home, either...the purpose of the dress-up kits is to dress things up, not make them work better (or at all).

Stock Rocks!

And billet is the new chrome...of the 1990's. Laughing
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

Stripped66 wrote:
tattooed_pariah wrote:

This morning I had a billet aluminum alternator pulley nut strip out all of it's threads while I was driving.

Is the nut itself aluminum?

yup, the entire thing is 6061 aluminum.. both halves of the pulley, a dress up piece between the nut and the pulley and the nut..

LOOKS really nice.. but yea, I guess I'm gonna go back to rattle canning OEM steel pulleys instead of using red anodized ones, this is the second aluminum one that's given me problems, the first was a lot less expensive, I (foolishly) thought spending more from a well known company would get me less headaches.. :/

"Never worry about stepping on people's toes. People who get their toes stepped on are either sitting down, or standing still on the job."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:

This alternator pulley and nut came from a reputable source, and I've e-mailed asking if they think I screwed something up or if there is some other problem,

Who is at fault? both.
Billet looks cool, appears like it was carved out of solid material by a machinist as a one off part, so, yeah it's bling. Dress up.
Of course it's cheaper now since it's carved by a robot.
yes, a lot of this "billet" stuff is not well engineered.
Like, standard allen bolts sitting on aluminum. Substituting aluminum for a steel part without increasing the contact areas of fasteners or shaft fits.
Or, nuts not made out of material suitable for use as a nut.
So on, so forth.
So ironically, you may have to employ a machinist to make it look like you employed a machinist.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

The chrome on that steering wheel looks tired. Might want to replace it before it fails Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
The chrome on that steering wheel looks tired. Might want to replace it before it fails Wink

He can just rub it with some WD40 and aluminum [billet?] foil and it will shine right up!
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

got a reply from the maker, he offered to replace the nut, said it looks like not all the threads were engaging.. which they weren't, because due to the amount of spacers needed, i couldn't tighten it enough to engage all the threads.. I'm going to politely decline his offer and just go back to rattle canning OEM steel pulleys.

All in all, a good customer service experience with a part hat didn't work well for me, so no need in my mind to give a negative review about it..

lol, that steering wheel needs to be replaced, I just don't wanna pay close to $200 for one i like. haha, it came with the car, and until i find one i really need to have, it'll stay on the car.. even if it is only held on with 2 of the 3 bolts.. Razz

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

It's lightweight design. The minimum number of fasteners to locate a plane to an axis should be 3, but
If you count the nut in the middle it is 3
I approve your bolting strategy Wink
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

"not all threads were engaged" -
might a slightly larger/smaller belt help get more threads engaged?
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

100 percent user error. The user has 2 bolts kinda holding his steering wheel on! And he posts pics of it!! Obviously has no clue how to adjust the belt tension on aircooled engine and is trying to point blame on some one else!

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

Perhaps it needs clearer instructions.
100% guaranteed for suckers think your pulley looks kewl.
For decorative and racing only.
End user responsible for determining suitability for other uses.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

Where is Mark Tucker to remind us all that we need to be smarter than what we are working on?

Maybe he can also bless me on my possible slant 6 '74 Dodge dart with 3 speed slushbox I may buy soon Laughing

-Frank
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

This is the belt I'm using: https://www.vbeltsupply.com/3lk360-1.html

same width as factory. With two shims, I got 1/2" deflection, 3 shims got me 3/4" deflection. I was running with two shims, vertical alignment was on spot.

also note: i never said I was blaming anyone, if anything I believe I said I'm probably at fault.. like I said in the first place I got it from a reputable parts source, and they are providing great customer service.. let's not turn a civil discussion into a "the OP is a jackass" thread..

grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

Now if that aluminum nut had a thread insert it may not have failed.

Also tightening aluminum to aluminum is going to gaul.

Last edited by grandpa red on Wed May 08, 2019 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattooed_pariah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

grandpa red wrote:

This whole time I had just been thinking why not make the nut steel.. but you bring up a good idea about the insert.. I'm not a machinist, I wonder if there is enough material in this stripped one to shave it down and put an insert in?

Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
This whole time I had just been thinking why not make the nut steel..

They do...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

tattooed_pariah wrote:
grandpa red wrote:

This whole time I had just been thinking why not make the nut steel.. but you bring up a good idea about the insert.. I'm not a machinist, I wonder if there is enough material in this stripped one to shave it down and put an insert in?

Ya it would have to measured to see if a helicoil could be installed.

I'm a machinist and I have made aluminum nuts with helicoils for aircraft.

Might be better to just use a steel piece in place of aluminum.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1660200

I believe the alt nut is 12x1.5mm - a lug nut works too if you are in a jam if you use the same size studs on your drums or discs.
LOWE TECH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Dress up parts Reply with quote

From what I can see I'm running the same set up. Works good for me. I think the mistake was putting a washer between the conical piece and the nut. I noticed them wanting to scrub a little putting mine together so I used a lil' slick'em.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: