Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CoastalAirCooledVW wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
CoastalAirCooledVW wrote:
Thanks for the info SGKent. Is there still a reliable rebuilder of air flow meters or have they all stopped rebuilding them?

call eric from norcal relics, he has some. he parts out baywindows if you recal. Wink

Oh yea I'll give him a call, he always has a ton of stuff

your welcome.. ;P

now ...post some pictures of this new ride already!

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Eric and Ari - they have good quality, and are good people. If Eric has a used one I would buy it.

Also - IVYSHANE posted an air to fuel trace off his bus. Exceptionally stable and flat. You might ask him where he got his AFM from. If it is rebuilt find out what rebuilder.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post reminds me that I forgot about your text Tristan, my apologies.

I only have a single "spare" AFM and it's specific to a 79CA model, so id like to hang onto it for experimenting purposes. Right now im monitoring my AFR both with and without the factory O2 sensor connected to see how it changes the mixture at various loads/temps/etc.

The NOS one that SGKent sold me is amazingly consistent across the board, both when connected to and disconnected from the factory O2 sensor.

My spare isn't quite as consistent, partly due to worn tracks, but helps me see the behaviors when you go really rich/lean and then watch the factory system adjust it.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
VW has new ones at their classic site under part number 022906301D. They are 372 EU which is $458 USD plus shipping.

I am having trouble locating that site...help? Are we talking about the actual Volkswagen company, right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
SGKent wrote:
VW has new ones at their classic site under part number 022906301D. They are 372 EU which is $458 USD plus shipping.

I am having trouble locating that site...help? Are we talking about the actual Volkswagen company, right?

http://www.volkswagen-classicparts.de/bestand/index_e.html

Access without registration. When you place an order you will get an e-mail a few days later specifying price with shipping. If I agree I usually send them Visa or MC info, or we call like 3 -4 am in the morning our time with it.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks! I inquired with our kraut buddies about a thermostat. Razz

The immediate response:

Sehr geehrte Kundin, sehr geehrter Kunde,

wir haben Ihre Anfrage erhalten und werden sie so schnell
wie moeglich bearbeiten.
Bitte haben Sie Verstaendnis dafuer, dass die Bearbeitung
Ihrer Anfrage ggf. einige Tage in Anspruch nehmen kann.

Vielen Dank,
Ihr Team von Volkswagen Classic Parts.

Volkswagen-Audi Classic Parts
Weser-Ems Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
Theodor-Heuss-Strasse 28b
38436 Wolfsburg

Very Happy
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
OK, thanks! I inquired with our kraut buddies about a thermostat. Razz

The immediate response:

Sehr geehrte Kundin, sehr geehrter Kunde,

wir haben Ihre Anfrage erhalten und werden sie so schnell
wie moeglich bearbeiten.
Bitte haben Sie Verstaendnis dafuer, dass die Bearbeitung
Ihrer Anfrage ggf. einige Tage in Anspruch nehmen kann.

Vielen Dank,
Ihr Team von Volkswagen Classic Parts.

Weser-Ems Vertriebsgesellschaft mbH
38436 Wolfsburg

Very Happy

use Google translate:

Dear Customer, Dear Customer,

We have received your request and will it so quickly
Edit as possible.
Please have understanding for the fact that the processing
Your request may take several days if necessary.

Many Thanks,
Your team of Volkswagen Classic Parts.

Weser-Ems mbH
38436 Wolfsburg
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never heard back from these guys, but I located the part I needed anyway. I am hoping in the future they can help on something else.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, bringing up an old topic and need some suggestions.

When I bought my westy it had a progressive carb on it. It ran fine and I drove down the coast and back without any problems. The problem was I couldn't pass DEQ here in Portland, OR so I found a matching EFI setup for my 81 Vanagon(2.0L engine). I've installed it all and pieced together the missing parts. Replaced all of the fuel lines, filters, injector seals, etc... It now starts up but always dies after a few seconds. I've verified the arm in the AFM will make contact with the fuel pump point when the arm swivels. If I unplug the AFM the van will run, albeit a bit rough. All of the specs in the AFC manual check out except for the last section with terminals #6 and #27. If I measure OHMs at terminal #6 and #27 I will get around 4900 ohms(it's 37 degrees here and dropping). But if I measure the spade connector of the temp II sensor and ground I get around 3900-4200 ohms. I get the same reading (3900-4200 ohms) at terminal #13 at the ECU connector. Does this mean the problem is in the AFM? I was originally suspect of the wire leading to the temp II sensor but the reading on the ECU would tell me that wire is good right?

Let me know if I didn't include any info and I'll jump right on here with answers.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May not be relevant, but what year is the bus? Smile

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, as when the air flow meter trys to meter air, its running so lean it dies, and if you unplug it, itll run quite a bit richer, evening out the leak.

Have you triple checked all the intake for leaks?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
May not be relevant, but what year is the bus? Smile

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, as when the air flow meter trys to meter air, its running so lean it dies, and if you unplug it, itll run quite a bit richer, evening out the leak.

Have you triple checked all the intake for leaks?

It's an 81 Vanagon. I was unsure of having it run too long without the AFM connected so I haven't checked to see if there are any obvious leaks. So if I unplug the AFM and start it up, is vacuum at idle 14 psi with a vacuum gauge? If that isn't a solid method I've used a propane torch in the past to check for leaks as well...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you either have a bad vacuum leak, like the hose for the vacuum booster is not hooked up, or the fuel pump isn't running once the engine starts.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Sounds like you either have a bad vacuum leak, like the hose for the vacuum booster is not hooked up, or the fuel pump isn't running once the engine starts.

If I move the arm on the AFM I can hear the relay click on. Should it make an audible click?

Also, does unplugging the AFM somehow skip the relay? Why does it run without it plugged in?

I was too proud of all of my new hoses and clamps, so it wouldn't be out of the question for there to be a vacuum leak somewhere. I need to recheck the connections.

**How long should I be running the engine with the AFM disconnected while I check for vacuum leaks? It seems like it would be dumping way too much fuel?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompy wrote:
............If I unplug the AFM the van will run, albeit a bit rough..........

I'd like to know what your fuel pressure gauge has been telling you when the AFM is plugged in.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
chompy wrote:

I'd like to know what your fuel pressure gauge has been telling you when the AFM is plugged in.

My fuel pressure gauge only goes to 15(used to carbs) so if it comes down to that I will either need to go buy another one or try the "can test".
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine will idle indefinitely with the AFM unplugged with just gravity supplying fuel pressure. The engine will stall if you try to rev it though.

You pretty much need to apply suction to each and every vacuum peripheral to see which one(s) leaks. If and when the EGR valve is open and if the tubing and filter are rusted through or missing that will cause a large vacuum leak as well.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chompy wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
chompy wrote:

My fuel pressure gauge only goes to 15(used to carbs) so if it comes down to that I will either need to go buy another one or try the "can test".

Time for a bike ride to Home Depot for a water pressure gauge that reads up to 50 lbs, you may have excess fuel pressure when the pump is running, as WT's says it'll idle all day on gravity feed (but you can't drive it like that).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
chompy wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
chompy wrote:

Time for a bike ride to Home Depot for a water pressure gauge that reads up to 50 lbs, you may have excess fuel pressure when the pump is running, as WT's says it'll idle all day on gravity feed (but you can't drive it like that).

Ok gonna check the vac connections then move on to fuel pressure check.
chompy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone, just an update here. Went through my entire vac system and found there was a bolt hole in the throttle body that I had originally assumed was a blind hole! Fixed that and it would fire up and run for a bit longer then would die...

Checked out the fuel pump and it was much smaller than a normal FI pump. My choice was to buy a pressure gauge(and I would need to buy a fuel pump anyways probably) or try one of these cheap pumps off eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ELECTRIC-FUEL-PUMP-FIT...mp;vxp=mtr

I was thinking about buying one of these anyways as a backup, so for $20 shipped it was too good of a deal to pass up. Installed it yesterday and the van fired up and ran well! We'll see how long this pump lasts(It actually has a 1 year warranty, somehow). In the mean time I'll be buying a backup for my longer trips just in case.

Anyways, thanks everyone, it seems like both of you were correct in the long run!
XXX/Rx/RnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still busting my balls. Cutting out at highway speeds off and on for last yr or better. Picked up a fi system at BBB last weekend, but on the trip back bus got to where it didn't want to idle. Installed the 018 amf and went on test drive and stumbled a little going up and down the street and still ruff idle and dies. tried 3 ts II no change. unplugged amf smooth idle. Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 34

Jump to: