Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum leak?

What year is the bus?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic Reply with quote

hello FI folks Very Happy
here's a strange one:

82 fed Vanagon w/ stock LJet that is giving me a weird symptom.
main issue is intermittent missing when warm and no hot start when symptoms arise.

in tracing electricals (fuel pressure good) I've noticed that when i put a test light on the coil neg, it flashes normally but starts to kill the engine.
it will choke and die if you leave the test light connected.
so i am in process of cleaning FI and main engine grounds right now.
oh! it does the same thing with 2 different coils and changing out the pertronix for points did not help either.

any insights appreciated.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic Reply with quote

I think the test light acts as a temporary ground for the #1 terminal and shorts the engine. We used to play a prank on my high school music teacher by switching his reverse light spade from #15 to #1 on the coil so it would die every time he would put the car in reverse. Same theory!

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic Reply with quote

Test for a High tension leak
Ignition High Tension Leaks
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic Reply with quote

you're right, robbie.
you can only do the "test light flash" method while cranking, not while the engine is running.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic Reply with quote

Quote:
oh! it does the same thing with 2 different coils and changing out the pertronix for points did not help either

If grounds don't get it then it might point to a too rich or too lean condition.

TS II being loose, corroded or bad can cause a too rich. That might seem like a stumble when hot and a failure to start when hot.

Have you tried a cylinder balance test by pulling each plug wire at the cap to see if one cylinder is weak? I'd try that and make sure the TSII is not loose or corroded. RAtwell has the resistance measurements.
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic Reply with quote

well, after many trials and tribulations this one ended up being ignition related.
even though the rotor, wires & cap all tested ok, i replaced them anyway and the problem went away.

just a friendy reminder that many FI issues are not FI issues at all Wink
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic Reply with quote

borninabus wrote:
well, after many trials and tribulations this one ended up being ignition related.
even though the rotor, wires & cap all tested ok, i replaced them anyway and the problem went away.

just a friendy reminder that many FI issues are not FI issues at all Wink

as the plugs wear the gap widens. The gap is what sets the firing voltage. Narrow gap lower voltage than wider gap. Wires and caps, rotors can carbon track. Since wide plug gaps require higher voltage to fire that can stress an ignition system that is on the edge. A warm engine his higher compression than a cold one usually. Higher compression raises firing voltages too. That higher firing voltage again pushes the system over the edge. It is always a long shot when an engine with plug wires is misbehaving.
martyrg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic FAQ Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Veteran type 1 guy here, however I'm new to buses, type IV's and Bosch L-jettronic FI.

My 1978 bus with stock FI is having a problem. With the engine fully warmed up and in gear (any gear) it will run OK until I push the gas pedal past a certain point, then the engine acts like it is running out of gas-slows way down, no power, etc. It happens around 3000 rpm. If I push the pedal to the floor it continues to act like it is running out of gas. After 4 - 5 seconds the engine starts to speed up, but then slows down like it is running out of gas. If I back off the pedal to idle, the engine will eventually catch up and run OK.

If this were a carbureted engine I'd think the acelerator pumps were bad.

The bus does have a new fuel filter and a fresh tank of gas.

What should I be checking / testing / replacing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I Need Help with L-Jet / AFC Fuel Injection Topic FAQ Reply with quote

Start with the simple stuff, ground the wire leading to the TS2 (temp sensor in #3 head) to the case when the engine is warmed up and go for a drive, any different?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34
Jump to:
Page 34 of 34

Jump to: