Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Introducing my 1971 Riviera
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scrivyscriv Premium Member
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

I'm back! I traded/sold my 1972 bus in the spring last year to make room for a rusty Beetle I got.. The beetle ended up being just a parts car so I decided to go ahead and bite the bullet on what I really wanted, instead of fixing up and sinking tons of money into junkers.

So.. Here she/it is.. a 1971 Kombi, with a January 19, 1971 production date. It was exported to Portland, where Riviera converted it with a small-pop-top camper. It is mostly complete and right now it runs and stops... The accelerator pedal is broken and parts are on the way to replace it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It obviously needs work and has rust.. but it's way less of a project than I've had up till now.
All suggestions, comments and opinions welcome, especially on sourcing interior parts like the sink.
I swapped in the 205T vac distributor but it looks like the drive gear is in wrong... also I'm taking off that EMPI carb as soon as I get my H30/31 bushed and back together. Fuel line is getting swapped out for metric Aircooled.Net line, and the pump is getting swapped out for a rebuilt older-style square top Pierburg... the current round top fuel pump drips fuel around the discharge side nipple fitting!
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: More photos Reply with quote

If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Engine bay progress Reply with quote

I pulled the apron and bumper off tonight to clean the bay up and get the engine ready to pull.. Found a few nice surprises!

Stock heater boxes, header, and Bugpack muffler!

The crown jewel of my find.. A new Brazil case! I was trying to get a closer photo of the pushrod tubes to verify if they were Bugpacks or not and got a great surprise when I zoomed in on the photo! This definitely goes a long way towards explaining the good end play.

I knew about this before I even got to the bus to look at it in person.. The crusty repaint and bubbles on the corner pretty much gave it away. I've already got a Wolfsburg West battery tray I pulled from my stash to start work here.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
It is mostly complete and right now it runs and stops...

That right there is definitely an improvement over the last one, not the prettiest bus but it seems like the real beauty queens don't hang around your area, looks mighty functional from here and there's nothing wrong with that.
Planning on a rolling project you can enjoy as you improve?, or are you going to take this one apart too? (hint...hint.... Wink ).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
dasdachshund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your icebox cabinet looks just like my '70 small pop top Rivi. Never seen another one. Cool. Cool
Lovely hatch over the engine the PO left you. Confused
Rock the sox off that Bus. Applause

-dasdachshund
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Introducing my 1971 Riviera Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Well.. My last bus was my own fault.. I bought it already disassembled and had no idea what I was getting in to! The upside is that I have a TON of extra parts now to use on this 71!

So yes - the plan is a rolling daily driver, working on repairing it as I go. Not really going to do a "restoration" as much as a repair/de-rust/fix PO hack type of thing.
Marya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I have the '70 Rivi full pop top with almost exact same interior as yours. Very Happy My icebox is a disaster on the inside though, from when my brother let ice melt and it caused rust. I want to save the door though cause it's that funky sunburst yellow-orange color - totally '70s. The bus was my grandpa's - I actually remember camping in it. Crazy huh? Anyway I love it and mine hasn't been driven in 21 years so I have a lot of work to do too. I have rust in the quarter panel area too and the battery tray's screwed. I mean the guy working on it (I'm not ready to learn to do some work on it till he gets it in better mechanical shape beforehand) says that the battery's not going to fall through for some time but just seeing that rust really bugs me. Running low on the dough though... Mad
Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great year and model camper! The rust looks fixable so far, I like it!
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Busy night tonight...

PO fixes

I got one of those magic spray wands from Northern tool and sprayed the bay down with hot Purple Power mix, got a pretty good bit of crust off. I went ahead and pulled the engine to inspect everything and do a few repairs to it before I start depending on it for a daily driver. Gas tank also came out for fuel vapor hose replacement and a thorough deep clean.

That battery tray is next on my list.. Looks like I may end up just ordering the panel from Gerson.. The WW panel totally doesn't fit.

Got my crimpers in and already made a replacement coil/carburetor harness. Looking forward to re-terminating most, if not all, the wires in my engine compartment!

Questions/comments/suggestions welcome.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my crimpers in
Who makes those?
Thank you
Tcash
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Got my crimpers in
Who makes those?
Thank you
Tcash

The brand is Pro's Crimp, bought through Amazon.com from Aircraft Tool Supply.
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although the extra headroom was welcome while I squatted under the bus all afternoon cleaning, I just couldn't stand the poorly done engine access hole. Thankfully everything lined back up and pretty much welded straight back in.
Got everything tacked in all around but not finished.

Also drained and filled the transmission.. I forget how bad gear oil stinks.. went with a GL-5 rated 80W-90.
Fixing to hit 'submit' on a shopping cart FULL of stuff from Wolfsburg West. I'd like to get the bus on the road by the end of the week.. Going to swap out the heat exchangers for a set of used stockers (didn't realize the current boxes are Dansk junk), check comp #s, and put on some fresh powdercoated tin.
dillon70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!!
1979 911 (235 hp)
1970 Chimney Pop Top (120 hp) SRFBUS1
1990 Vanagon (95 hp)
1985 Vanagon GL (85 hp)
1969 Tin Top 1 owner OG
Can I get any slower?
2015 CC R-Line (heavily mod'd)
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was planning on just cleaning and re-sealing the engine while it was out... Then I found this:

So now it's on an engine stand fixing to get broken all the way down and possible re-bearinged. I really hate to break this thing down. I really really do. I just can't convince myself that it will be ok as-is.
PITApan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
I was planning on just cleaning and re-sealing the engine while it was out... Then I found this:

So now it's on an engine stand fixing to get broken all the way down and possible re-bearinged. I really hate to break this thing down. I really really do. I just can't convince myself that it will be ok as-is.

Look down the spark plug holes with a Streamlight Stylus Reach or similar. Turn it over and eyeball up the piston crowns and valve lips. If it looks good, run it. The hot wet 'n' dry compression, oil pressures etc. will say something about how far you can run.

If you see badness then you know you have no choice but to go in now.

That flashlight is so totally worth the money it isn't funny. Batteries last forever. I have two and use them constantly. One is for mechanical issues, the other for medical ones..
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said.. I really, really hate to break this engine down if I don't need to do it. I'm really hesitant about running it though, and the reason I took it this far apart was because of the noises it made in this video (which hopefully will be up for a long time):

Link

I can't tell what noise that is and it sounds like it may be an internal engine knock. Opinions welcome!
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Kristin Laurite's murder Reply with quote

I'm sure plenty of people here are familiar with Kristin Laurite, who was murdered at a rest stop in Arkansas in 2000 while she was letting her yellow and white, pop-top 1971 VW bus cool down from overheating.

I just found out from the previous, previous owner that THIS BUS belonged to her, and is the bus she was driving. He bought it from the person who bought it from Kristin's parents.
Now I'm not so set on removing all traces of the previous owner. She was described as a huge Grateful Dead fan.. I will probably leave the stickers up in her memory.

Kristinlaurite.org

What an odd turn of events...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Kristin Laurite's murder Reply with quote

scrivyscriv wrote:
What an odd turn of events...

Indeed!, wow!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk about history

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started getting in to buses a few years ago.. I came across her story.. but it never even once crossed my mind when I looked at my bus. The couple of photos I found online of her with the bus everything is identical to the way my bus sits now, with the exception of some stenciling on the driver's door.

Part of the story said something about her pulling in to a rest stop to let her overheating engine cool down.. If that was the case, then I found out why her engine overheated, she threw a rod bearing on the #3 and #4 rods... in fact the #3 rod was missing half of its shell altogether. One heck of a rod knock!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: