Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Infinite Monkeys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues Reply with quote

Hi,

I joined this forum about 5 years ago when I had a dune buggy project, but this is my first post.

I just got a street legal sand rail with a VW front beam and a swing axle trany, which goes to an adopter to an old, Jeep Dauntless 225 odd fire V6. The engine is factory rated to about 150 hp and about 225 lb/tq. It's not even close to that right now. I'll rebuild the engine soon.

I'm looking for help in identifying the different VW components and where to get replacement parts.

Right now I need to remove the engine and see what the issue is with the clutch arm. It is stuck and will not engage. The PO said he replaced the TOB, so looks like that's a good place to start.

It had a hydraulic clutch, but I'm replacing that with the stock cable.

I'll pull the engine today and post some pics of the clutch and TOB. I need to make sure the right components are installed and done correctly.

Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Infinite Monkeys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues Reply with quote

The engine is out and I found why the clutch arm was stuck. Looks like a "C" clip that holds the TOB cross shaft in position had come out of the grove and the shaft was shifted. I slipped the C clip back into the grove and tried to move the arm, the C clip immediately slipped out of its grove.

I'm wondering if I need a new cross shaft, or just another C clip?

Also, is this the right TOB for this clutch?

Thank you for the help.

Edit: I just removed the shaft and it looks like there is not enough of a grove for the clip to ride in. Just looks like the grove is not deep enough? Does this sound right?

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues Reply with quote

With that ring in the center of the pressure plate, it matches the early style throwout bearing you show. If it had bare fingers in the center, it would require the late style TO bearing, which needs a late style trans case with the TO bearing support sleeve.

I would try a replacement clip 1st. And clean the groove before installing it. Then if it still pops out, replace the shaft. And probably get an HD shaft with the TO arms welded all around the shaft.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues Reply with quote

Is that a huge crack to the right in your second picture?
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues Reply with quote

Is that a huge crack to the right in your second picture?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues Reply with quote

There should be a bushing and sleeve that sits up against that snap ring that came off. If it isnt there the shaft will move side to side

brad
Infinite Monkeys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Just bought a sand rail with lots of issues Reply with quote

I got a new HD TOB shaft and bushing kit ordered. Should be here in a day or so. Ordered one for the '61-'70 model. Hope that's right.

Will post back with the results.

Also, that is a gouge, not a crack in the above picture. Got me worried, it's 10:30 at night, had to go out with a flashlight and double check.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: