Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Landspeed Racing Project, My 57
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
drscope wrote:
Brad you know as well as everyone else it would have been just as easy to have restored that car to stock! They way it is supposed to be.

So regardless of what you do with it, or how much fun you have with it, or even if you are lucky enough to break the World Land Speed Record with it, you will still be condemned for cutting up an oval!

How could you do such a terrible thing?!?

Let's see. I used 3 styles of tin snips, a cut off wheel, a grinder with a disk or a wire wheel, a square, a protractor, a couple sizes of dividers, two 2 foot pieces of 1.5" angle iron in a vise to use as a metal break, assorted hammers, lots of cardboard for template (airfilter boxes were a favorite) burned out a few Jiffy markers, drill bits and boxes of bandaids, A sawzall, and a 110V Hobart welder. Nothing exotic or fancy. About the only cool tools I bought were the ones to do the Dzus fasteners, a dimpler and a cetering tool that fits in the spring to mark the top piece. I also splurged on a spot weld cutter. Pretty garden variety tools that anyone can buy.

That's the tools I used to commit my "crime" against a vintage VW

Applause Very clever.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad, I've got that 53 Canadian Standard oval I just picked up and I'm on the fence on what to do with it. Wanna up the ante and see how many vintage nazis we can piss off? Wink Laughing
Maybe it will appease them that I plan on keeping the OG color?
70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Brad, I've got that 53 Canadian Standard oval I just picked up and I'm on the fence on what to do with it. Wanna up the ante and see how many vintage nazis we can piss off? Wink Laughing

I'll clear a spot in the garage and we can start cutting. It should go pretty fast now that I've done it once. I know of an IRS pan we can use What do you think of putting in a split window and dash? Screw the OG colour, paint it PIR OR BRG ORder your RLR cage now and we'll get it on the road for the show in August....

brad
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could use the 53 to make a camper back for the SC. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
Trevor P wrote:

I'll clear a spot in the garage and we can start cutting. It should go pretty fast now that I've done it once. I know of an IRS pan we can use What do you think of putting in a split window and dash? Screw the OG colour, paint it PIR OR BRG ORder your RLR cage now and we'll get it on the road for the show in August....

brad

OH the ATROCITY!

I think I'll take my new plasma cutter and go play on the 57 rag top in the back yard! Going to make a ratty volksrod out of it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much has been done lately on the car. It's been a long cold winter and no heat in the garageThe windshield is at the glass shop so a new one can get cut, the motor is complete out to the carbs, just fuel lines left to build once my AN fittings arrive. I swapped over the rear rotors onto the buggy so I can put smaller studs in to mount my Centerlines on the buggy. I was going to use them on this car, but to be honest, they looked like $#!^. So the wheels I bought at Christmas for the buggy are going on this car and the buggy gets the CLs (it looks smokin' with them. If any of you guys are running 165/45s or 50s go buy your tire guy a bottle 'cause they are an absolute PITA to deal with. At least on the 5.5 inch wheel they are a bit easier to mount but getting them of the old 4.5" Sprintstars was a total pain. Warm weather is coming so hopefully I can get to the tranny and motor install and hten electrical. Have to have it finished for Aug 1.......

Sittin way too high
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good. going racin Aug 1st?
No heat? you must be wussin out Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I want to cruise out to a family reunion with it. I'm no wuss it was -15 in the garage while I was changing the rotors and bearings.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long hard winter. We still have 4 foot snow banks on either side of the driveway and unless things have changed more snow on the way. but at least it's melting now during the day. We also lost our beloved dog Baxter in February so between that and the cold weather it's been hard to find inspiration to work on things.

I did manage to finally get top end of the motor done though. So I now present, "Little Brutus"

Once I get it in the car I can finish the plumbing for oil and vents. Hopefully pulling the engien and tranny out of the buggy this weekend. Get hte tranny cleaned up and into this car and stick the buggy tranny back in it. Then I can begin re-camming the buggy engine.

Thanks for 16 wonderfull years Baxter, wish we could have gone for a ride in the new car. Miss ya somethin fierce

brad

Last edited by slalombuggy on Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear you are making progress on it again. Sorry to hear about the loss of your pal though.
If you are short any AN fittings I still have some left overs from when I plumbed my 57. I've decided I will never do a build with AN's again, what a PITA. Wink
70 911T
91 Westy
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give you a shout about the fittings. I really like building with them and find it fun Rolling Eyes but that's me Wink

Got the motor in to mock up the plumbing and wiring. Probably should have done a motor install in the car before paint. Had to trim some sheet metal to get the motor in and as you can see the left cylinder head tin sits underneath the side panel....OOPS. You can just see my experimental muffler. Want to see how it works. Didn't cost nothin to build so what the heck. I have some mandrel bends to make my own hideaway to run on the street so the muffler doesn't stick out so far.

brad
JWDII
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your fuel line. It make a nice sight line with the linkage. cool build!!
cseay1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope wrote:
Brad you know as well as everyone else it would have been just as easy to have restored that car to stock! They way it is supposed to be.

So regardless of what you do with it, or how much fun you have with it, or even if you are lucky enough to break the World Land Speed Record with it, you will still be condemned for cutting up an oval!

You are building a well engineered, thoughtfully and purposefully executed piece of machinery out of a discarded and forgotten hulk. It's not like you were clubbing baby seals or something.

There were more than 1.3 million Oval Beetles made. Does every last remaining one need to be restored period correct? I could see if this was a Duesenberg or something, but come on .. it's a Volkswagen.

I, sir, applaud and support what you are doing.

As for the folks urinating in your breakfast cereal of choice, I say if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't be typing.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cseay1 wrote:
drscope wrote:

You are building a well engineered, thoughtfully and purposefully executed piece of machinery out of a discarded and forgotten hulk. It's not like you were clubbing baby seals or something.

There were more than 1.3 million Oval Beetles made. Does every last remaining one need to be restored period correct? I could see if this was a Duesenberg or something, but come on .. it's a Volkswagen.

I, sir, applaud and support what you are doing.

As for the folks urinating in your breakfast cereal of choice, I say if you can't say anything nice you shouldn't be typing.

cseay1 As a racer I completely understand the remarks and crap Brad is hearing now and will continue to hear about cutting up an oval.

I have been through the same thing when I rescued my rusty 56 and made an autocross car out of it. I got lots of crap about cutting up an oval. But the reality was I didn’t cut it up, I just cut off the rust!

I’m just funning with Brad jerking his chain a little and I wish him great success with this thing even though he cut up an oval!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I always enjoy hearing from the Doc even if he is bustin my balls. Wink

cseay1, Wait till you see my baby seal skin seat covers, I'm having them put on next week and are way nicer than lambs hide, also, slurpies wipe right off. I'm having the aluminum wheel wrapped in panda hide. Feels great on the hands...very soft...... Shocked

Spring has finally sprung...well except for the snow storm last night.... but lot's of snow has melted , the weather is warming up almost to above freezing and I'm getting ready to do a big push on the car. Been stockpiling parts for a bit so I should have just about everything I need. Hopefully I can get my trailer out of the yard next week and get the car to the glass shop to get the windsheild put in.

And I almost forgot. A BIG shout out and Thank You to my buddy Britt Granis (156mph Ghia) for the 3.88 transaxle that went into this car. He saved my ass at Bonneville when he brought this one as a spare and gave it to me for gas money after mine literally packed up on the return road after my first run in the buggy. THANKS BUDDY!!!!

brad
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seats wrapped in Panda hide I like it so much. I also keep boxes of kittens because if you skin them they make great mittens.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
jvulich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using baby seal eyes for headlights?
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice touch, that Canadian flag on the roof of the car Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was about time to give an update. Finally got a windscreen in the car. Had the top 6" tinted As the cage will interfere with any sunvisors. Wiper assenbly is in, just have to find some propper arms and blades. Headlight decals are on and my PIAA driving lights are setting where I want them, have to make some changes to the mounts so they point straight. Rod style side mirrors are in mounted

Mocked up my speedo with a custom insert I printed at home from the face of a WW2 Altimeter. It's useless anyways with the 21" front tires and I'll be using a GPS for a speedo. Scat shifter with custom shift knob look kind of funky. Toggle switch and push button for 2 speed wipers and horn. Fake ignition switch and bombshell license plate bolt are hidden behind the tach
o fill the ignition and choke holes.
Center console with engine gauges and switches for ignition, fuel pump starter, signal lights

Under dash with mounted wipers, wiring, horn and glovebox in place.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is also wired and rear harness' are run in through the firewall. fuse panel will be on the box for the torsion housing behind the drivers seat. The battery cables are run down to the starter through the floor of the parcel tray, still have to put ends on them and the vent tube for the battery box is run under the car. All the cables and wires go through silicone grommets. Wires for the front lights and power wire for the horn and wipers run along the tunnel and through a grommet under the fuel cell.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 14

Jump to: