Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter or Battery
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the other "new" starter I did this and the starter cranked so slow it could not start. Once the engine cooled down it would spin fast enough to start. I am hoping that the "new" starter was just binding or faulty when warm. Hopefully my new new starter will be in late today. Besides what has been mentioned what else might cause the starter to crank so slow when engine is warm (3 mile drive)?
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: starter Reply with quote

Ok put in new starter, charged my battery up, started right up. Then drove into work for about 2 hours, and went out and again it started right up. Drove home 1.5 miles parked in garage and tried to start right after I shut down and no luck. Waited about 3 minutes and it started right up again. I still feel like I am missing something. Any thoughts? Shocked Question
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay the car will only start when the clutch is not engaged, it does start fine when cold, but very tough when even slightly warmed. When I try to start with clutch depressed it will not spin fast enough to catch. Car runs and shifts fine. This issue has gotten progressively worse as time goes on. What are you thoughts? Question
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thoughts?
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the car properly tuned up? Timing, points gap, spark plug gap, valve clearances? All that good stuff correct? Just wondering if you have ruled out all other possible causes of starting problems.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
Boom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the voltage read at the battery while cranking? What is the voltage at the starter? Check your grounds, especially at the transaxle mount.

67 Chubby White Chic

Düg Büg

dLk
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checked all grounds new and or cleaned, new optima battery. Set timing with timing light, also checked gaps at points and valves, everything seems fine. Like I said runs fine, I've just run out of thoughts. I know I need to change the rear main seal but I wouldn't think this would cause this problem. Thanks in advance.
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you said is kind of interesting: it starts OK when in neutral, but it has trouble starting when the clutch is depressed. Something to do with the flywheel??

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
VolkswagenVMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to toss this in, how is the end play on the crank. I only say this cause it will crank, but will not with the clutch pressed. I had an old rabbit that has starter issues, sometimes would not crank at times. Come to find out that the crank end play was great enough that when shutting the engine off it would stick. This may not be the problem , but just putting it out there.
1966 Bug early
1966 Bug late
2000 New Beetle 2.0l 200,000 miles and going!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
It's not uncommon for a starter motor to have increased electrical resistance when hot.

Im buying this! Alot of my old cars -not just V-dubs - have had that poor hot-starting problem. When the starter is hot from running/driving, the carb is probably hot too and may have a tendency to flood due to the gas acting bubbly from being hot! Ive tried to figure out the best way to start a hot motor/hot starter, and that is as I would try to start a flooded carb.
Usually quick start without touching the gas or
if thats not working, holding the gas pedal to the floor.
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does have a bit of end play, which is why the main seal is bad, planned on putting in bigger spacer to reduce the end-play. Of course need to order all the parts anyhow, but could this be the issue? If the end play is that bad (to cause problem) should I even bother changing the spacers out. Our think about rebuilding another block?
Boom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worry with one problem at a time. I doubt the end play will cause a problem unless it's turning over and grinding because of the ring gear being sloppy.
What is the voltage reading while cranking with the clutch just sitting there and the transaxle in neutral?
Check at battery and at starter to see if there is any difference. Also make sure you leave the ground at the battery while doing this. If there is no difference then measure again but this time use the starter case as the ground. If there is less voltage at the starter while using the starter as a ground, check to make sure the ground strap at the front mount is good and tight on both sides.

67 Chubby White Chic

Düg Büg

dLk
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, finally got the chance to check voltage on car after getting it out of storage. Does not start when turning the key, only when pushing the relay at the same time. voltage at battery is 5.98, when cranking drops to about 5.80. On starter prior to cranking 5.97 then while cranking drops down to about 4.5. After driving about 2 miles and shutting off, car will not start! The starter turns to slow to catch (I could turn it faster by hand for example), let it sit 15 minutes and she fires up easily. This is just weird, Any thoughts?
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts? Could something be binding that causes the starter to crank slowly?
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I still have this problem, recently changed out the main seal and checked endplay, which is fine. Checked every connection possible, all grounds good. Load on starter and battery (optima) are also good. Today after driving 1.5 miles and shut car off back to no start. The engine just turns over so slow, it will not start Checked battery under load (5.3 volts). My generator light is on faint, and my horn is very weak, also my turn signals work but only light up at first on dash, then indicator lights stop, but turn signals are working. I am extremely frustrated, this car used to start easily and consistently. Mad
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is have the battery load tested.

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Starter or Battery Reply with quote

X2 on load testing the battery. While I personally did not have a good experience with my Optima I know I am in the minority and will not bad mouth them. When was the last time you checked your generator output? Or voltage regulator? The only other things I can think of would perhaps be a wonky coil or condenser but I would check one thing at a time, starting with the battery.
Blue66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, went out and started it with the key (first time in a long time have been able to do that). Had on the charger for a while first though. Battery level prior to start was 6.17, when starting dropped down to 6.5, then back up to 6.17. Reeving the engine did not raise the volts, stayed the same. Pushing on brushes made did not make dash light go out, although gen did get much quieter. Started real easy just turning the key, within 2 seconds. What should the volts on the optima battery be?
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue66 wrote:
Battery level prior to start was 6.17, when starting dropped down to 6.5, then back up to 6.17.

OK, I'll assume the 6.5 was a typo and you meant 5.5 or something in that range. Anyway, it sounds like your generator is not putting out a decent charge; it should be in the range of 7.0 to 7.5 volts while the engine is running above idle.
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Starter or Battery Reply with quote

Blue66 wrote:
Des this sound like the battery or the starter going bad?

Starter. The starters you buy nowadays (not sure about the Bosch starters), are just like you are describing. Anemic power and cranking, etc.
Mine is just like this.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: