Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dash lights for gauges More power Scotty
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I am 61 and have been working with computers since the early 1980's. I still can't stand bright gauges in the car on a dark road.

I am 68 and have been working with computers since the mid 1980's. And my cluster lights are so dim that there is no need for the dimmer. But the VoDOo lights are too bright so I just switched wires on the switch terminals. So the dimmer dims what needs to be dimmed.
FlowerPowered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: YES you can dim an LED Reply with quote

telford dorr wrote:

LM555 - is there anything that you can't do with these things?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

True, the 555 is an incredibly useful chip. I still have some from 20 years ago, as well as the little how-to booklet from Radio Shack on the chip. I built some cool projects using them back in the day.

But I today's world, thanks to cheap Chinese labor, you can just buy this circuit already made for about $10 on ebay.

Here's another that's ready for dash mounting, however it's only 1 amp. (The previous one posted was 6 amp.)

See here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=led+dimmer+12v...m270.l1313
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough price to beat. Comes down to packaging, and whether you enjoy building stuff, I guess. Mine's built into the light fixture itself, which could be tough to do with a pre-built module.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey Ryan wrote:
here are the light bulbs I bought.
<snip>
Casey

Oh, very nice. So, those just fit right in the same socket, with no need to install the resistor? Which ones did you end up getting, exactly? The 74-x?

That's easy! And I like the red option. After spending some years at sea, I have come to appreciate the "red lights in the wheelhouse", which does not affect your night vision. I may have to replace all my stock instrument bulbs with red LEDs...
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Casey Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Casey Ryan wrote:
<snip>
Casey

Oh, very nice. So, those just fit right in the same socket, with no need to install the resistor? Which ones did you end up getting, exactly? The 74-x?

That's easy! And I like the red option. After spending some years at sea, I have come to appreciate the "red lights in the wheelhouse", which does not affect your night vision. I may have to replace all my stock instrument bulbs with red LEDs...

Yeah, I looked back and found my order info. I bought the 74-xhp. They fit right in as a straight replacement. They will only light inserted one way from what I remember so figure that out and repeat for the rest.

No need for a resistor. Never installed one in mind and they've been working for 2 years now.

They're cheap too so I bought extra.

Casey

Blog: www.facebook.com/VWBusBlog
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit naughty and made an order from superbrightleds.com
Naughty? because people outside the U.S. need to make a $25 minimum order. Grr. I ended up throwing in a dimmer, like the white one in the pic actually which bumped up the price above and beyond. Like $46 incl. postage. *sigh*. Anyway I got some greens, because I've always liked green backlighting and my fuel gauge is like that anyway, a red for my oil light for the sake of it and a blue for high beam.
I grabbed some of the 9mm bayonet ones, whatever they are called. Partially because the only VDO backlight that isn't missing is one of them. I'm going to use a standard 9mm bayonet and tape or blu tac it to the other gauges for backlighing. LEDs= no appreciable heat. Another step closer Smile
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Casey Ryan wrote:
<snip>
Casey

toyota used a similar sized dash lights for all their gauges and such, and they use tiny colored condoms to change the colors....maybe if you found a toyota with red, or green, and i think they did blue at some point, you can just put a condom over the bulb and change all the dash lights to your preference with a easy mod....

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I may have to replace all my stock instrument bulbs with red LEDs...
And I did. And they look very cool. They will look even better once I clean the glass, since the red lights showed different dirt than the white ones. These are the 74-x wedge base bulbs on this page, in red:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index...wedge.html

Also - I'd advise against replacing the instrument indicator bulbs (oil P light, alternator light, turn signals, high beam indicator, etc.) with LEDs. I tried that, but there is something about the circuitry and the expected lamp voltages that makes the lights glow a little bit, even when they should be just plain off. So, I had to change those back to the original incandescent bulbs. It is neat that these LEDs come in lots of colors, and I had got green, blue, red, and white. But I ended up just using the red ones. If anyone wants the others to experiment with (blue, or green) let me know via PM, and you can have them.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
jtauxe wrote:
I may have to replace all my stock instrument bulbs with red LEDs...
And I did. And they look very cool. They will look even better once I clean the glass, since the red lights showed different dirt than the white ones. These are the 74-x wedge base bulbs on this page, in red:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index...wedge.html

Also - I'd advise against replacing the instrument indicator bulbs (oil P light, alternator light, turn signals, high beam indicator, etc.) with LEDs. I tried that, but there is something about the circuitry and the expected lamp voltages that makes the lights glow a little bit, even when they should be just plain off. So, I had to change those back to the original incandescent bulbs. It is neat that these LEDs come in lots of colors, and I had got green, blue, red, and white. But I ended up just using the red ones. If anyone wants the others to experiment with (blue, or green) let me know via PM, and you can have them.

ill take them...haha PM'd

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MaddMatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17.00 led light strip from pepboys, wired into the headlight switch.

Owned: 71 Superbeetle, 72 Superbeetle, 63 Baja (on 69 pan) 74 baja, 74 Karmann Ghia

Own: 71 Deluxe Bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyMan1971
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RatCamper wrote:
Naughty? because people outside the U.S. need to make a $25 minimum order. Grr. I ended up throwing in a dimmer, like the white one in the pic actually which bumped up the price above and beyond. Like $46 incl. postage. *sigh*. Anyway I got some greens, because I've always liked green backlighting and my fuel gauge is like that anyway, a red for my oil light for the sake of it and a blue for high beam.
I grabbed some of the 9mm bayonet ones, whatever they are called. Partially because the only VDO backlight that isn't missing is one of them. I'm going to use a standard 9mm bayonet and tape or blu tac it to the other gauges for backlighing. LEDs= no appreciable heat. Another step closer Smile

Do you have a pic of how the green looks? I'm a fan of green as well.

'71 Westy "Maggie" - M-Plate

Parts for sale!
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestyMan1971 wrote:
RatCamper wrote:

Do you have a pic of how the green looks? I'm a fan of green as well.

It's an older photo before I illuminated the other gauges and modified the PWM controller, but here's one with green.

thewalrus
Big Jack

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did Ratwell's lighting upgrade years ago and it's one of my favorite upgrades (That and the Petronix). Clean, quick and cheap.

Quote:
Improved Instrument lighting - The stock lighting is adequate but somewhat dim. Sometimes it's as simple as replacing the old 1.2W bulbs or cleaning the dust off them. The rest of the time the easiest solution is to upgrade to 2723 2.3W bulbs. They are the same size as the original 2721 bulb but twice the wattage at the expense of 1/3rd the lifespan. They make a huge difference to the clock which has it's bulb located at the top. Keep in mind that double wattage means double current draw so limit the bulb replace to 2 or three because the stock wiring can only handle 3A and the headlight switch will have to sink more current when you dim the instrument lighting. You won't see a benefit from replacing the warning lights in the fuel gauge anyway.
The arrows in the photo indicate where the bulbs go to light the speedo and the fuel gauge. Notice there are only two (the clock has it's own bulb). Because the clusters are backlit you aren't going to see as dramatic an improvement as you might expect but the higher wattage bulbs do help. To really brighten up your display you'd have to cut more holes for extra bulb holders to add brightness.

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/EssentialUpgrades.html
60vwnewengland wrote:
Looking forward to next weekend, weed, krunk juice, hookers, blow, hanging with bums, philly, ...the awards!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffreyned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emeritusx wrote:
I used two of those led drawer lights and two separate led's on the outside for a total of 6. - I just epoxy'd the circuit board to a piece of insulation to the back plate..

and a touch of fluorescent blue paint to the speedo needle

Lights... what concept! I think I'll try your approach. It will be so cool to be able to see how fast I'm going. Right now I don't have any dash lights.
Tripndrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2723 bulb upgrade have been perfect for me.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: