Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shock Install trouble
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmurad38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Shock Install trouble Reply with quote

My first question and post, please be kind Smile,

Have a question regarding shocks that I hope someone can answer. I am replacing the shocks on my 1976 Bus, I purchased the appropriate KYB 343144 (front) 344045 (rear) When I went to install them (front first) I noticed that while the upper mount was fine, the lower had a larger diameter that would not fit through the lower metal insert in the bushing of the shock. I did notice that the original shock had the metal bushing insert at the top, but just rubber on the bottom. It was of course very old so its condition was not to be trusted.

So my question is there a different bushing set that fits into these shocks, or do the shocks themselves get modified (by removing the insert) or finally, do I actually, contrary to every resource I can find, have the wrong shocks?

rmurad38
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome,
Grind or somehow split the old bushing remaining from the old shock that's still stuck on the lower stud off, try not to grind so deep you mark up the stud.

Excellent first post by the way, very descriptive and to the point!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the old bushing has a split in it, you can take a chisel and use it to open the split a bit. A pair of Channelocks or a pipe wrench can then be used to twist the old bushing off.
rmurad38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take another look but to me it doesn't seem like there is an old bushing stuck on the lower mount. What I have has a small threaded section for the bolt then the remaining is smooth, slightly larger diameter then the threaded part, and somewhat longer then the shock itself. Not sure if being a new user I can post pictures yet but I will as soon as I can. Thanks again for the help!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmurad38 wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take another look but to me it doesn't seem like there is an old bushing stuck on the lower mount. What I have has a small threaded section for the bolt then the remaining is smooth, slightly larger diameter then the threaded part, and somewhat longer then the shock itself. Not sure if being a new user I can post pictures yet but I will as soon as I can. Thanks again for the help!

It sounds like your lower bushing metal retainer remained on the shock mount bolt. That's what they are saying above. If the old shock you removed didn't have the inner steel sleeve that slides onto the shock mounting stud, then in all likely hood, that's what on there.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zelten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same issue when I first got my bus.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=408728&highlight=
rmurad38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the help everyone, hopefully I'll revisit this later today torch in hand.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shock stud should be 12 mm.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just dealt with this this past weekend. As others have said remove the old bushing that came from the old shock.

However, I did not have to grind mine off. I couple shots of PB Blast and some vice grips was enough to remove the bushing.
rmurad38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...everyone was correct! i went to take another stab at this today and this time when I removed the shock, the insert came with it..the penetrating oil i put on during my last attempt must have done its thing. Moving on to the other side, the insert came out with the shock. So today I got both front shocks done. Also got 5 brand new RA-08 tires..was a good day for the bus!

So another question. Same shock but for the rear. Is anything above and beyond the shocks needed for the rear? I asked a well known vendor and they said I needed this $10 kit which looked like a bunch of spacers and metal inserts. Certainly no big deal if i need it I just want to do this right. Seems strange that the fronts bolt up but something else is needed for the rear? again, 1976 bus.

Thanks again for all your help!
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to read the following thread about the rear shocks...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=590596

You're going to find your 344045s are going to be too short when you install them...

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spacer/bushing kit is for situations where the mounting eye bushings are not the same lengths as original, or the mounting
stud diameter is different than the one that comes with the shock. Not using the spacers where required will result in a bending
stress on the shock, and perhaps the mounting nuts running out of thread. You do not have to use the spacers in the kit, a stack
of ordinary washers will work as well.

Russbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing new KYB gas shocks for the '70 bus... all has well except for one problem.

Problem: removing old shock sleeves from both front lower mounts.

I've let the WD-40 sit for a couple of hours. No luck trying to yank it off with the vise grips. I've read the suggestions on this thread (grinding, splitting) but the sleeve has no seam and I don't trust myself to miss the mounting shaft if I attack the sleeve with a grinding wheel.

I probably can't be trusted with a propane torch either but may try that as a last resort.

So what do I try next?

Different penetrating substance? Longer wait time?

Any tips are welcome. Thanks.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe wrench. Will grip better than any vise-grips. Just don't twist the stud off!

It's also not a big deal if the mounting stud gets a little groove in it from the cutting wheel.

I am sure you will also want to apply a generous coat of anti-seize or some such to prevent the rusting/seizing from happening again.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular WD 40 does not free up rusted items. It is worthless for that purpose. You need some kind of penetrating oil. That will have phosphoric acid in it among other things that helps free up the object. Regular blue and yellow can WD 40 is a paraffin based oil that helps stop flash rust and oxidization for a short while.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Russbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe wrench... never crossed my mind but I have a brand new, smallish one with sharp teeth - sounds perfect!

Liquid Wrench... that's one big photo! Don't have any, got some 3-in-1 but it doesn't say anything about penetrating or phosphoric acid so I'll go grab some LW and give it a try.

I can't believe I own a rusty old bus and don't know these things.

SG... Where can I get some stickers with your "stop aggressive driving" message?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russbus wrote:
Pipe wrench... never crossed my mind but I have a brand new, smallish one with sharp teeth - sounds perfect!

Liquid Wrench... that's one big photo! Don't have any, got some 3-in-1 but it doesn't say anything about penetrating or phosphoric acid so I'll go grab some LW and give it a try.

I can't believe I own a rusty old bus and don't know these things.

SG... Where can I get some stickers with your "stop aggressive driving" message?

I picked it up offline. There is a national campaign. http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/injury/aggressive/Aggressive%20Web/index.html

What we need is the stickers and dart gun to stick them to some people's foreheads. We've seen 3 fatalities and a seriously injured biker in 2 days at the same spot on the Interstate where aggressive drivers come together here at a merger of freeways. Yesterday was biker, the day before was some sedan that thought they could make it before a semi but lost control and ended up going under the trailer. Need I say more what happened next? The thing about these aggressive people is like the semi - he was more worried about the loss of time and damage to his trailer than he was about the car without a top. The semi's are part of it too here because some of them simply don't care if a car is next to them when they want to change lanes. Not all semi drivers are that way but it only takes one. Cathy and I are just tired of it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: