Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 Automatic shifter replacement
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tripndrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: 73 Automatic shifter replacement Reply with quote

Has anyone replaced the automatic shifter in their bus? I am going to call B&M and see if they have a universal kit that would work. The plastic with copper spring loaded plate contact on the shift rod broke, the plastic block with the contacts that mounts on the shift housing frame is worn out so the bus won't start in P or N and the reverse lights don't work. I just wired the P wires together so it starts.

I found replacement parts but they are for newer models and I don't know if they would work on mine. I though about installing some micro switches but I would have to deal with the play in the shifter, I am going to have to do that anyway to make the stock stuff work if I can find parts.

I think it might just be easier to get a new shifter.
dwdelano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott at German Supply has the plastic contact block. Part Number:
311 927 147 B. I have a '73 automatic, too! The part works great, you just have to get the alignment right with a little trial and error.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta learn to use the search function on computers. Almost every flaps can get one.

see Napa Auto and ask for ECH NS6827 - be sure to compare it to your old one
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tripndrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well on the white part the reverse lights are the only thing that work for me, it won't start in P or N for some reason so I just wired around that. It started in P and N when I first got it for a while, then it would only start in N so I decided to fix it.

The black swipe part in my bus is not like this one posted, it is a big part that goes around the shifter rod.

I ended up taking the copper connector out of mine and putting a stripped piece of wire inside it and then soldering the wire in it and then re-shaping it to fit in the existing plastic holder on the shifter rod. The springs and everything were gone, the springs out of the one that wouldn't work that I bought were different as well so I ended up taking a carb spring, cutting it down and then spreading it out so it had some spring to it and 2 of those fit perfect and made the re-built copper piece spring like it should. Works great, nice to have reverse lights.

Here are gallery photos:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tripndrag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot the picture of the lights.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: