Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Griddle in a Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Griddle in a Westy Reply with quote

After not cooking at all in my Westy, to cooking! I thought that I'd get some Westy sized
cooking utencils. I already had purchased a small pot, one that will hold a can of soup. Also,
I purchased a folding handle fry pan that fits in the sink when not being used. Not too
bad to cook up some dogs etc..... The other pot that I bought is a SS one quart from Cabels,
it a nice product and the perfect size. Also have a fajita pan, but it's of poor qualitity.

So that leads me to the new griddle. I have watched Jeds' videos, where he cooks up
nice dishes on his Westy griddle. Perfect, I thought! Got to get one of those and start
cooking! This is the product that I bought, from http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17476823
I have not tried out the griddle yet, maybe this weekend. Perfect size and the thickness
of it should keep it from warping.

Anyone else use a GRIDDLE, and what kind is it?

Flat side.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ribbed side

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I mix and match my utensils for the planned menu. Lobsters demand a large pot, Kalbi requires a special grill pan, Bi Bim Bap's need the cast iron crocks, etc.

I do keep a dutch oven, 2 qt sauce pan, cast iron sauteuse and 10 in saute pan in the Thingamajigger all the time.

Had not thought about bringing a flat top griddle yet, guess I have not had the need. But my 20 year old Calphalon pan would do the trick nicely. ( http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Calphalon_Professional_Nonstick_11x18_Double_Griddle )
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Tim's would store in place w/cooktop closed.
Calphalon handles too tall...???

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes too tall. But the potential for rattles would keep me from storing there anyway.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a stove in my westy, but I use a GSI griddle-top notch top quality. It may fit
http://www.backcountry.com/gsi-outdoors-pinnacle-griddle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a couple different grills in my Westy, in the $20 range at Target or Wally World. Ended up moving to a Lodge cast iron skillet because scrabled eggs wont try to flow over the edge. I also decided cleaning the ridged side of a griddle, and or carrying it in the van uncleaned were both not worth the effort.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3009018#3009018

And because I can use a lid to contain splatters of grease

cleanup is easy, pour a little water into the skillet after dropping a paper towel on it, wipe around with spatula

imho, most grilling of animal products that splatter grease is best done outside.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a saying in the sailing/cruising world: if you only have room for one pot make it heavy ss pressure cooker. I'd allow that a good griddle should also be allowed. Something that can used on a BBQ for those special Sunday (whatever day) brekkies!

So now we know we have a "Aswah" on the east side of the continent too! May be a bit easier for me to track this Chef down for yummies. But now that Timwhy is cooking too, the odds are increasing? Laughing I have to admit I have not chosen well in my cooking compartment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a while we used a griddle that was a nice sized oval that covered both burners. can't remember where I got it, but it wasn't a very high quality one. If I could find that size and shape in a heavier duty griddle, it might be good.

one of those square cast iron griddles with the handle would be nice too.

my westy cookware has evolved to: a gutless enamel coffee pot for hot water, (tall so max volume for little footprint), a medium sized deep skillet for both frying and sauce pan, and a small dutch oven type sauce pan. sometimes I take along another pan, but usually those are all I need. for me, less is best. it is easy to cook compatable foods together, or wipe out a pan and put something else in it.

the last time we went camping, I did use an outdoor stove, and it was nice to have 4 burners. but cooking was a bit fragmented.

I've been practicing with my new cobb grill, and the possibilities seem endless. it does seem to be a very credible oven. yesterday I baked/steamed a pile of winter squash and apples and it was delectable. the flavor!!
mwsnow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coleman aluminum non-stick. Covers both Westy burners and makes 6 pancakes at a time. I store it in the rear cabinet above the bed.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13920877&RN=789& . I bent the handle 90 degrees up; fits on the top shelf of the right-hand cabinet with the plastic plates, MSR skillet and MSR pots stacked on top. I considered getting one like Tim's, but I prefer easy storage compactness. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Looks like Tim's would store in place w/cooktop closed.
Calphalon handles too tall...???

Nope, I tried too but it's to thick. Maybe if the drip pan was removed.
'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: griddle Reply with quote

I still haven't made the transition to cooking in the van. I'm actually considering taking the tank off until the day arrives that it's just two of us. Until that time I don't see any inside cooking taking place. Most mornings while I'm boiling water outside for tea and coffee two bunches of long hair still hangs over the edge of the bed from my girls...

That being said, pancakes taste great outside!

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
BillM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daizee after being parked next to the chef and smelling his lobster bisque you can be sure if he's at a campout I'll make sure were close again.
I purchased a set of stainless nesting pots at Defender marine last spring. They were on sale from 140.00 marked down to 40.00. It was an open box but nothing was missing. Combined with a new grill we bought that has it's own griddle,grill and fry plate we have all we need to cook.
Usually though were camping with a buddy that we helped build a camp kitchen trailer with. He is set up to cook for a group and all his large pots/pans store below the burners and grill built into the top of his trailer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No seafood for BillM though.

Bring some more of that special bottled happy juice and I will have the food covered. Smile

My camper cookery capability is expanding with a quick release propane connection for outdoor gadgetry and a removeable culinary 'center' that will mount behind the passenger seat like the older Westy's. Have new tank mounted, brass connectors and such, also have preliminary copper tubing bent up nicely. Just need to make up some protection plates for the soft copper lines and a rigid mount plate for the quick release on the passenger side.
Alaric.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use the stainless steel lid attached to the cover as a griddle.just kidding.

Last edited by Alaric.H on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never cook inside my '87 Westy Weekender but my Wal Mart Al griddle fits perfectly on my vintage Coleman Stove...I like to cook bacon on it and fill the campground with the smell of farm raised goodness...also good for pancakes.

For saute we use a vintage Griswold blackie 9"...If I had the time/money, I'd prefer to have all vintage American made cast iron.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from my over-nitah (that's Maine speak) and the results are in on the Griddle.
It's a keeper! It is what it claims to be, Non stick! Here are some pics of it in action and the
clean up was just as easy as wiping it down. Actually wiped it down and then washed it.

Batter Blaster, pancakes in a spray can? They taste pretty good!

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby

molybdanum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these for my westy after watching one of jed's videos, and love it for cooking breakfast. I park it behind the driver seat in the box it came in. The only problems are forgetting to return it to the van when I steal it to cook in the house, and airing out the westy after cooking bacon. Hmmm bacon......

-Dan
indytriple
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use and I am very happy with the GSI Nonstick Griddle from GoWesty.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3457

I almost bought the Lodge cast iron one, but I went with the GSI because it's much, much lighter, and the non-stick is appealing. Also, I already carry a cast iron skillet with me anyway. The non-stick surface is a Dupont coating, and boy, does it ever work. Nothing sticks to this thing. Based on everything that I researched, this griddle gives you the largest cooking surface area and the best fit on the Westy stove. It cooks very evenly. There are amazingly no hot spots with it. I usually use a little water with some paper towels to clean it up. I've only used soap on it a couple of times. I store it in the back closet. I would definitely recommend this griddle.

Behold! Breakfast for four!

87 Vanagon Westy Auto Bostig

www.bluegrassbicyclecompany.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw at Dom's in livermore they now have aluminum versions of griddles and those cast iron dutch ovens, has anyone tried these? The weight savings might be worth it in our slow westies Laughing Plus I cook, my wife cleans up, so it'd be easier he her to haul an aluminum griddle than a cast iron one to the camp sink if there is one nearby...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: