Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Well due to my own arrogance, stupidity, frustration, lack of patience and knowledge and overall lack of responsibility....I completely blew my motor. Will upload photos later I promise.

Yesterday I found a local VW Shop in Santiago with everything I need. I bought a brand new zero KM Brazil block, new heads, valves, pistons, camshaft, crankshaft..... basically if the engine needs it to run, I bought it brand new. It was a tough pill to swallow but fortunately I had the cash and have learned in life if I try and save money now it'll cost more in the long run so just do it right the first time. I am staying with a local Kombi Guy who has been building and racing VW for 20 years and trust his work. I also have my How to keep a VW manual handy.

Aside from everything in this book which I've read ten times over on the overhaul section, torque specs, clearances and all the technical jazz...what should I keep in mind when assembling this engine? There is a bit of a language barrier between me and my friend but we communicate rather well.

Any advice on break in period? How soon after I'm driving should I go through the engine and recheck the torque and clearances... advice like that would be appreciated

And since some will ask. The price with ,$2,479 USD in Santiago for everything brand new. Basically if it comes out of the car when you drop the engine, including the air and fuel filters, support mounts and valve covers... it's new, obviously except the parts that don't go bad like intake manifold.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Drakeskakes wrote:

A) what should I keep in mind when assembling this engine?
B) break in period?
C) How soon after I'm driving should I go through the engine and recheck the torque and clearances...

a) cleanliness is sacrosanct, no fooling around. Rotate crankshaft as you torque down the case halves. If it begins to go tight, STOP AND INVESTIGATE
Re-torque heads AGAIN after several hours (overnight is good).

b) twenty minutes of variable rpms 1,200-2,600 rpm at initial start up - good time to adjust timing and mixture, oil change while warm, allow to cool overnight, adjust valves, re-torque exhaust and intake nuts, drive for twenty minutes, accelerate in 3rd gear from 20-40 mph let car coast back down to 20 and repeat five times. Allow engine to cool and repeat. Change oil at 100 miles.

c) adjust valves again at 500 miles if they were grossly off at initial next-morning valve adjustment, 1,000 miles if they were pretty close. Change oil at this valve adjustment interval. Then, every 3,000 miles.
Colin
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

The part about your friend building racing engines scares me.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Nah, he also has built his own reliable Kombi motor the same as mine seven years ago and had put over 100,000km on it without a problem. Same for his wife's beetle he knows the difference at least I hope he does haha. However I chuckled a little when he said we would be using coconut oil at some point
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

Nah, he also has built his own reliable Kombi motor the same as mine seven years ago and had put over 100,000km on it without a problem. Same for his wife's beetle he knows the difference at least I hope he does haha. However I chuckled a little when he said we would be using coconut oil at some point
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
Drakeskakes wrote:

A) what should I keep in mind when assembling this engine?
B) break in period?
C) How soon after I'm driving should I go through the engine and recheck the torque and clearances...

a) cleanliness is sacrosanct, no fooling around. Rotate crankshaft as you torque down the case halves. If it begins to go tight, STOP AND INVESTIGATE
Re-torque heads AGAIN after several hours (overnight is good).

b) twenty minutes of variable rpms 1,200-2,600 rpm at initial start up - good time to adjust timing and mixture, oil change while warm, allow to cool overnight, adjust valves, re-torque exhaust and intake nuts, drive for twenty minutes, accelerate in 3rd gear from 20-40 mph let car coast back down to 20 and repeat five times. Allow engine to cool and repeat. Change oil at 100 miles.

c) adjust valves again at 500 miles if they were grossly off at initial next-morning valve adjustment, 1,000 miles if they were pretty close. Change oil at this valve adjustment interval. Then, every 3,000 miles.
Colin

Really good info as always Colin. Thank you. 20w50?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

since you said you "completely blew my motor", i would definitely get a new oil cooler, do not reuse the old one.
I'd also check the oil pump for damage, unless you've already bought a replacement. New ones are inexpensive anyway.
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
since you said you "completely blew my motor", i would definitely get a new oil cooler, do not reuse the old one.
I'd also check the oil pump for damage, unless you've already bought a replacement. New ones are inexpensive anyway.

Both new
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

When you say "all new" I assume you mean the long block. You'll reuse your heater boxes, exhaust, alternator, engine tin, and carburetor?
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
When you say "all new" I assume you mean the long block. You'll reuse your heater boxes, exhaust, alternator, engine tin, and carburetor?

I'm fuel injected but yeah you're on the right track. Alternator, throttle body, exhaust headers.... the things that don't get effected when you throw a piston right through the block.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

How about some pictures of all your brand new goodies? Share some of you assembling it as well.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
How about some pictures of all your brand new goodies? Share some of you assembling it as well.

Posting photos from mobile is such a pain in on this forum Sad
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Meh Rolling Eyes Clean enough for the girls we hang with.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Drakeskakes wrote:
20w50?

I would do 10-40 during the break-in to allow more flow to carry away metal flakes. Some people have reported that the oil cooler is more effective with thinner oil. Once your bearings and cylinder walls are smooth around 1,000 miles, then you can switch to 20-50 down there in your summer heat.
Colin
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
Drakeskakes wrote:
20w50?

I would do 10-40 during the break-in to allow more flow to carry away metal flakes. Some people have reported that the oil cooler is more effective with thinner oil. Once your bearings and cylinder walls are smooth around 1,000 miles, then you can switch to 20-50 down there in your summer heat.
Colin

The mechanic and I were discussing going full synthetic. I'm not worried about the extra cost, and so far I've seen it available at every gas station. I'm not certain about north into more remote areas of central America, but I'll check with the Pan-American group. However if it's a brand new engine would it behoove me to go full synthetic at this point?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

Laughing Is that the same beer "Hasta Alaska " was drinking when he rebuilt his motor "10 times"--

Not a complaint just that I put an evinrude 6 hp together with the crank upside down after my buddys forced me to drink and mechanic at the same time (ya that was hard to do)

From then on I'm afraid to wimp out, but have always been sober till the final assembly.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

williamM wrote:
Laughing Is that the same beer "Hasta Alaska " was drinking when he rebuilt his motor "10 times"--

Not a complaint just that I put an evinrude 6 hp together with the crank upside down after my buddys forced me to drink and mechanic at the same time (ya that was hard to do)

From then on I'm afraid to wimp out, but have always been sober till the final assembly.

I'm the opposite. I work better.after a few beers. Ten years mechanic for the Coast Guard and working sober was a nightmare.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

I live in hot as hell Phoenix Arizona. With a brand new engine and tight tolerances, I don't need anything higher than 10-30w oil in my VW engines. You want it to thin out when it starts getting hot so it lowers the oil pressure and gets to the oil cooler as quickly as possible. I use to run 10-40 oil in my VW's. When I dropped down to 10-30, I saw an 8-10 degree lower oil temperature.

You DO need to make sure you're running an oil that has at least 1200 PPM of Zinc for the flat tappet cams though.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Drakeskakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a brand new 1600 air-cooled Brazil engine this weekend Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I live in hot as hell Phoenix Arizona. With a brand new engine and tight tolerances, I don't need anything higher than 10-30w oil in my VW engines. You want it to thin out when it starts getting hot so it lowers the oil pressure and gets to the oil cooler as quickly as possible. I use to run 10-40 oil in my VW's. When I dropped down to 10-30, I saw an 8-10 degree lower oil temperature.

You DO need to make sure you're running an oil that has at least 1200 PPM of Zinc for the flat tappet cams though.

I'm headed south to Patagonia so it'll be much muxh colder
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: