Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steel C channel homemade bumpers (Pics)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
focusedcycling
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been busy for a bit now and keep forgetting to take and post up pics for the rear bumper.... here they are.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the rears, I bent the excess sides around and had them come back forward around the van. A "C-Channel" has a top, front and bottom. I simply cut away the top and bottom just leaving the front section allowing the wrapped part of the bumper to sit nice and close the the van.

The trailer hitch was a 2" bolt box piece bought from the local auto store and then I took 2 large pieces of flat steel, welded one on either side diagonally on the inside of the hitch box and had them extend out to the tow strap loops where they are bolted with large bolts and washers. I also ran a weld bead along the top and inside connecting it to the "C-Channel" bumper. I would like to put a hitch in the front as well sometime soon.

I will also get out and measure the size of the channel and post that as well but to answer someone's post earlier, I got lucky and this happened to be what was lying around my Grand Pa's farm.

-Till later,
Ben
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, I like the texture!

Nice job.
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your bumper has more pockmarks then james woods face does!

But I like, have you done any pulling with the hitch yet?

I lifted my van up in the air with the ones I made, I was kinda scarey but I had no choice...I was glad they held up.
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: bumper caps Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Like the extra bolts good use of the tow hooks,I need to make a pair of them, good work. Smile
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: