Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear heater hoses re-connection question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Rear heater hoses re-connection question Reply with quote

Long time no post here for me. It's good to be back and yes I used search but can't find anything.

So, I swapped ALL THREE of my vans for one 84 that has almost no heat.
It's a long story.
My rear heater is there and the blower is working but the hoses are disconnected from the T's under the van. Does it matter which one I use or can I just hook them both up and it doesn't matter which one goes where?

I need some heat and the front blower does not currently have a switch but was told the fan is dead (another long story).

Thank you,

David
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe no one knows the answer to this?
Does anyone have a picture of their van from the under side looking up toward the rear heater hoses or can someone take a look at theirs?
I hate to go knock on someones door and ask if I can take a looksey.

Thank you,

David
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did mine, and followed the Bentley. Not sure if it really makes a difference, did it according to the book.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=201862

Check out this thread for a pic from a vendor.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That diagram is kind of helpful but do you remember which one went to the engine and which one went to the top and back to the pressurized tank?
I haven't worked on a van in a long time and can't seem to find my Bentley.

Thank you,

David
chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, and I cannot check as I am in North Dakota in a crappy hotel, but the upper one is one the return line and the lower one is from engine or supply line.

Check your PM
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you will notice the difference if you hook it up backwards. Don't sweat this one.
wasserbox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rear heater hoses re-connection question Reply with quote

camerahunter wrote:

My rear heater is there and the blower is working but the hoses are disconnected from the T's under the van.

There is most likely a reason these are disconnected. Your rear heater core may very well be leaking, and reconnecting these may earn you a rear seat full of coolant.

I'm not sure which hose is which, but the correct flow is IN to the bottom, and Out through the top - with the shutoff valve.
elsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which is a good rule of thumb, really - restrictors (like shut off valves) typically go on the output side of things, rather than the input. Or at least it seems that way to me.

Doug
camerahunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, it could be a leaker. I have a new valve (and a whole new heater just in case) here and it's sitting plugged and full of a CLR and water mix. It's not leaking now but I am going to do a pressure test before hooking it up and making a mess. I am just getting all my ducks in a row as far as information goes.

So, it through the bottom means that one hooks to the engine block, out through the top is the return to the pressurized tank.

Thanks a million!

David
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: