Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SVX donor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: SVX donor Reply with quote

I was wondering what you guys thought on the price of a donor SVX I have a line on. Its a complete car with 184k. I plan to fully rebuild the motor prior to installing. I'm thinking I can get the car for about 800. Is that a good deal?
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reckon that's not a bad price. If the engine and wiring harness were out, it would be a great price. The beauty of getting the whole car is you can sell the trans, if it is still working, to one of the SVX guys (they have their own forums) and let the buyer test the trans, and then sell the rest of the carcass to other SVX guys, leaving you with a free engine AND all the peripherals.

I have found that almost any SVX engine sold separately from the car is missing a few choice parts which you then end up buying at the dealer. You'll have everything. I spent about $700 getting all the missing bits, and that was before the cost of the re-seal parts that I had to buy new.
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming there is a title and it runs that's not too bad, though not exactly a steal, for the whole car. Of course, you're only interested in part of the car, which if you intend to rebuild the engine anyway can be considered a core and accessories, so really there's different ways to approach it.

Buy what you need, piece by piece, and hope they don't add up as bad as they probably will.

Buy the whole running car and sell the parts.

Find one that's not running, likely because the transmission gave up, buy it on the cheap and ask yourself if you really want to bother parting it out.

Realize that you're talking about hundreds, not thousands, of dollars here, and if someone thinks you spent a few too many, console yourself by calling them a cheapskate.

I check the local Craigslist all the time for these even though I have one in the driveway. I haven't seen one running come up that low in years now, though I also haven't seen one not hang out for months. Here's some more research for you-

SVX World Network
SVX World Forums
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let's see they only imported ~14k units.
and you can sell the scrap carcas for $200+
not to mention value in the hood/fenders/grill/seats/trunk/rims/trans

sounds like a fair price.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gobbles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great deal if you do the following
buy the donor vehicle and buy a low mileage block-less than 1K if you know where to look
Then, you use all of the bits from the donor and sell the donor for 4-500 afterwards
The SVX is a great choice and good luck!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have parted 5 SVX cars during Syncro conversions.
I always make money on the car Exclamation
I buy nicer running and driving SVXs, ~$4000, to be able to come out ahead.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: