Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Beam narrowing and making dropped spindles
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tim ,tinman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: redrilling springs ? Reply with quote

great info on narrowed beams but no one has suggested the cutter used,angle or speed to cut the new set screw location.thanks for info.tim
iltis74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head to www.creative-engineering.com and look at page two of the fitting instructions for their weedeater front beam.
Church Key
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT info...one question.
How does it effect highway handling?
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Church Key wrote:
GREAT info...one question.
How does it effect highway handling?

Lower center of gravity, better handling....Watch Nascar sometime.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, i want to drop my bus, and i'm going for a pair of 'dropped spindles' in the front which will lower it 3.5".
For the rear i want a straight axle kit to get rid of my rgbs...but that will drop the rear 4" which means the bus will be lower in the back = not cool.
If the dropped spindles dropped 4.5" that would be perfect!! So, what do i do?? I don't really want to spend time and money on adjusters, so i was wondering if anyone have a way around this?????

Anything other than straightaxle in the rear is not cool, as i don't want rgbs and i don't want irs....(want to keep structure).

Anyone with suggestions?

thx
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is a 4.5" drop in the rear. I have standard 3.5" dropped spindles, and straight axle in the rear and they are the same.

set your spring plates at 6 degrees, it will even have stock camber.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roberto wrote:
I don't think it is a 4.5" drop in the rear. I have standard 3.5" dropped spindles, and straight axle in the rear and they are the same.

set your spring plates at 6 degrees, it will even have stock camber.

hmmm....anyone have a saying in this?
Is there a way to get spindles which drop lower than 3.5"?
D
roberto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose you don't have to believe me. I know in the last couple years of you toying with the idea of doing this, I have done three this way. All have 3.5" spindles, and straight axles. All spring plates set at 6 degrees. all have a stock level appearence. I know this because I personnally don't care for the super low/ scrappin stuff. To go lower in the front requires an adjustable beam and / or radical spindles. In the back, reindexing the spring plates till there is no suspension.

Have you tried asking around the SBS forum at the top of the page? Those guys in there have done this stuff every way possible with every possible outcome.
davelarue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roberto wrote:
I suppose you don't have to believe me. I know in the last couple years of you toying with the idea of doing this, I have done three this way. All have 3.5" spindles, and straight axles. All spring plates set at 6 degrees. all have a stock level appearence. I know this because I personnally don't care for the super low/ scrappin stuff. To go lower in the front requires an adjustable beam and / or radical spindles. In the back, reindexing the spring plates till there is no suspension.

Have you tried asking around the SBS forum at the top of the page? Those guys in there have done this stuff every way possible with every possible outcome.

LOL
Of course i belive you. You remember me from years back??? well, i change my van, so now i have a panel instead of a samba! sold mine to pay student loans, but had enough to get a panel project.

I like your configuration mate!!
But its been a year since iv been on the forum, so i wondered if theres something new which i don't know about....

Where is this SBS forum??
Thanks,
D
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=180596

I would recomend joining up on SBS, they have helped me tonnns
WideFive
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.steeringboxscrapers.com

We'll get you straightened out...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
C.C.C.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Franklins is selling 6" dropped spindles.

http://franklinsvwwerks.com/Products_beams2.html
Rigamortiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelarue wrote:
Ok, i want to drop my bus, and i'm going for a pair of 'dropped spindles' in the front which will lower it 3.5".
For the rear i want a straight axle kit to get rid of my rgbs...but that will drop the rear 4" which means the bus will be lower in the back = not cool.
If the dropped spindles dropped 4.5" that would be perfect!! So, what do i do?? I don't really want to spend time and money on adjusters, so i was wondering if anyone have a way around this?????

Anything other than straightaxle in the rear is not cool, as i don't want rgbs and i don't want irs....(want to keep structure).

Anyone with suggestions?

thx

"Holy thread resurrection Batman, etc. etc..."

My bus has dropped spindles and is straight axled, and it was made level by mixing up the tyre combinations a bit - The rear has stock sized tyres, and the fronts are 185/55 R14's (on original 14" bus wheels) which evens it out really well:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SBS UK #72 FNG

'65 Kombi (Daily driver)
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rodgersbadassbus64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I narrowed my front beam 3 3/4 and flipped my own spindles. The drop was only 2 3/4 of an immediate drop. However with smaller tires it is low enough. I had the Formosa tires that were 20.5 but it was to low for me always scraped but never rubbed. I then put 24 inch tall tires (Speedo is close to correct) and now they rub when I hit a bump with a passenger. I am glad I didn’t put on adjusters cause for me it would have been unnecessary. My next step is a IRS I have the donor just waiting for Kelly Park this weekend then I will start cutting. So no matter what you do it is your bus and it is a hell of a lot of fun making it so keep up the good work. You can do It. Very Happy I like the guys Avatar "Why buy what you can make" He rocks!
roncatmandu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: narrowed beams & dropped spindles Reply with quote

Hello,I am currently looking on samba website @ split bus with 3" narrowed beam & dropped spindles.Am not really familiar with these modifications & hoping for some help to questions.Not entirely objectionable to some customizations over stock BUT am concerned more about overall performance above looks.I guess my question is; narrowed beam & dropped spindles more about only lowering vehicle & wider tires for clearance?If so,how OVERALL perfomance(including offroad vehicle ground clearance/ride/gas economy with stock wheels)comparisons to stock beams,etc. vs. narrowed?Obviously,have not a clue about pros & cons & I humbly could use some advice about above mentioned bus.Thankyou!
Zacharysayre
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice video to watch and see how it is done.

Video
edwards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://barndoorposers.com/node/17
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF???

Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the spam comments on that blog. Helpful info if looking for penis enlargement, not so much if interested in drop spindles.
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Major Woody wrote:
I love the spam comments on that blog. Helpful info if looking for penis enlargement, not so much if interested in drop spindles.
If you run onto any reliable method for penis reduction/shortening, let me know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: