Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Ted2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:58 am    Post subject: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering an engine upgrade for our '87 Westy (auto trans).
What are thought on the Go Westy 2.4 vs the Subaru units.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K9e1n4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Are you going to do that swap yourself?

With either engine choice you need a lot of skills and time to do so. If you are going to pay someone this is going to get very expensive quickly. Also the VW engine may have something in the warranty fine print that only a licensed mechanic can install it with proof or no warranty.

Dropping in a VW engine should be straightforward. Remove and replace. For the Subaru conversion a lot of research is needed.

Most people get a Subaru junker off Craigslist for parts. You will need the Subaru computer, wiring harness (big job!), relays, sensors, and lots of miscellaneous. I went to the junkyard and got all my parts. It is best to get a 2005 or earlier Subaru with the 2.5L. Pre 2005 don’t use the security ignition key and have a cable throttle as the Vanagon does. Newer Subarus you will need the key for the car otherwise the computer won’t let it start (complicates the wiring) and they have an electronic throttle which is more complicated.

As for the Subaru engine, a used one is probably going to have over 150K miles. Its a lot of work to do a conversion just to put in something that might be worn out soon.

I put in an imported JDM engine and converted it to USDM. Take off the JDM intake and sensors and replace them with USDM. Also the camshaft and driveshaft timing belt sprockets need to be changed to USDM. Do the timing belt and water pump at the same time. Its a great engine and runs like new.

Subaru engines have/had trouble with head gaskets, so if you have one out of the car it is worth changing the head gasket with the more robust turbo head gasket.

Everything you need adds up fast though. You have to figure out what everything is going to cost, the miscellaneous costs because you always need something else, and the hours and hours of work involved. Its a commitment because you can’t stop in the middle. The van isn’t worth much with half a conversion done.

I used vancafes kit. Its a great engine mount and exhaust system. I would look over their kits and ask them for the conversion installation manual. They sent me it before I ordered anything so I had a better idea of what I was getting into. Their kits sell out fast but get restocked pretty quick.
1981 Vanagon Westy with 2.5 Subaru conversion
K9e1n4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion Reply with quote

Good info here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gxT1c46_snM&pp
1981 Vanagon Westy with 2.5 Subaru conversion
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

i love my Subaru powered auto trans westy.

I would much rather buy a NEW shortblock from Subaru than ask a crappy design like the WBX to put up with more displacement.

Stock Subaru is 170(ish) horsepower. Not sure what the GW is rated at.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
t3 kopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

Very subjective question. With the gowesty engines, some people will tell you it lasted a decade and still chugs along, some will tell you that it started burning oil and blew up in 500 miles and the warranty wasn't honored. With a subaru, some will tell you that it they DIY'd it and only spent 3k (Me for example) and that it still runs like a top. With the subaru, there is a lot of maintenance that you have to do to a used engine to make sure its gonna be reliable. You want to buy a used subaru car that you can actually test run and find it for as cheap as you can. Mine was a 95 legacy wagon that the owner had hit a tree with. I got it for 300 dollars. The problem with go westy stuff is that a lot of the time you end up at the mercy of GW for their one-off proprietary parts that they have cornered the market on. They can charge whatever they want for that stuff.
You can still buy new factory subaru short blocks. Not gonna happen with a WBX.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I would much rather buy a NEW shortblock from Subaru than ask a crappy design like the WBX to put up with more displacement.

Not a Subaru guy, so can't opine on the original question, but if crate short blocks are still available, I'd go that route in a heartbeat if I were going to go Suby. Peace of mind...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

khughes wrote:
if crate short blocks are still available, I'd go that route in a heartbeat if I were going to go Suby. Peace of mind...

they sure are

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

subaru all day long every day.

619 201 0310
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
khughes wrote:
if crate short blocks are still available, I'd go that route in a heartbeat if I were going to go Suby. Peace of mind...

they sure are

Cool. Just out of curiosity, what kind of prices are we talking?
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

not sure what year you would be looking for.
a quick evilbay search turned this up
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283620358336?epid=1901286...R7yRyL-_Yg

khughes wrote:

619 201 0310
therastavan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

For starters, you can't replace the original sound and feel of an original WBX design. The GoWesty design will cost you a lot less and is CARB legal if that is an issue for you. Plus you get a new engine that has no timing belts or chains vs a used belt driven Subaru. The original VW engine design is actually very reliable and dependable, the problem is that most people fall far short of the proper and simple maintenance required to keep these engines running well, specifically these 3 things which lead to catastrophic failure:

1. Failure to use phosphate free coolant and replacing it every 2 years.
2. Failure to change the oil often e.g. every 3K miles and with an OEM filter (these engines run hot and 5-7K mile drain intervals will ruin the engine)
3. Failure to change the automatic transmission fluid every 2 years and replacing the seals between the transmission and gearbox to prevent the oils from mixing

If you follow these 3 steps the VW engine will run reliably for years.
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

Where are you and what's your budget ?
I did this
https://www.vanaru.com/

It's been over a year of daily driving now. In Oregon there's no sales tax I guess so I saved that money. Project came in as it was estimated. That estimate included the shop asking me to agree to a new rad and higher flow spigot gas tank. I also added refreshing the whole vapor bottle and hose system. So overall a bit more than just the swap.
Cost is determined by the shop and it's local economy.
Nice craftsmanship on all the parts in my opinion. I am a metal fabricator by trade.
Everything I got was really nicely put together by vanaru and the shop that installed the conversion.

All I can say is as a downside is you won't get assistance at just any ol' Subaru or Japanese car service shop if you can't diy everything.
Some will of course but others won't work on things that don't have a book to predict labor times etc. Why bother when they have predictable tasks coming in every day ?

Upside is you just pay the shop and wait for the call to come get it.. flawless 170 mile drive home for me. And maybe if you're easily distracted, giving the project to a shop means it'll get done in a reasonable timeframe and your driving again.
I bought the rad and gas tank myself and had them shipped to the shop just to save a little mark up I spose. That actually might have added up a little because I had to find the right tank and find the rad. I went.with Forst brand from heritage parts. Shop said it looked and fit like original Behr unit. No issues so far.

Anyway, good luck whatever you do !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
not sure what year you would be looking for.
a quick evilbay search turned this up
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283620358336?epid=1901286...R7yRyL-_Yg

khughes wrote:

Oh, I'm not looking. I was just curious. And those sub $2500 prices are pretty attractive if I was looking at subies. I'd trust one a whole lot more than a rebuilt - one of the reasons I went the way I did! Thanks!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

khughes wrote:

1900 buxx to my door is my price

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

Another plus for Subaru is the way more reliable fuel injection and electronics. Obd2 can make diagnostics a breeze for alot of issues. Additionally Subaru gaskets and belts can also be found at any major chain store.

If you are diy I think the design is far superior to the wbx in terms of sealing, gaskets and overall places the engine can fail.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

If you are strictly narrowing it down to original waterboxer vs subaru, I would consider Marco mansispeed rebuild along with his EFI.

I do love my Subaru EJ22 Phase 1 block, solid lifter performance built heads, along with 96 outback OBD2 intake/wiring harness.

I have found many NEW OEM sensors for my engine. And if not new, there are plenty used online ebay. I bought an eBay Subaru starter for $35 shipped. used mass airflow sensor - $30 shipped. used OEM Tribeca alternator - $30 shipped.

A "rebuilt" airflow meter for a digijet/digifant is going to run you a minimum $200.
oceanair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

GoWesty with their EFI system -- that way you have a new engine that fits easily and a new system to ignite and fuel it. Simple and OBD2
zerotofifty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

Go Westy has had issues with their big bore motors, research the issues. Id pick a subaru over the GoWesty. Go Westy tells you to run 60 weight oil to maintain oil pressure, whats with that?

Big power costs money.

You might be happy with a modest increase with slightly bigger motor like 2.2 liter, which can use all the stock VW injection stuff found on the 2.1 stock motor. You can save a bunch of coin doing that,

The GoWesty is just too customized I think, and there have been issues with that motor and their cutstomer service. I have had to deal with GoWesty customer service on other things, and was not impressed with their response. This was some years ago however.

Obtaining parts and repairs for a Subaru will be much less an issue over the life of the motor too.

But if you can live with a more modest 2.2 VW motor, that will be quite economical. and the parts are not specialized. just bigger pistons and cylinders.

You can get new heads with maybe slightly bigger valves, a bit more aggressive cam that is still smoggable and you are good to go, that is what I done after researching the GoWesty and subaru options.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

oceanair wrote:
GoWesty with their EFI system -- that way you have a new engine that fits easily and a new system to ignite and fuel it. Simple and OBD2

Yeah but GoWesty's EFI system is almost $3,500 and their 2.4L is $7,200. There's alot of options once you hit that price point.

I don't see where the 60wt oil requirement for the GoWesty motor is coming from. They spec'd 20/50wt (same as stock, IIRC) for my 2.3 when I bought it and that's still what their website is showing. I didn't see anything different for the 2.4.

My 2.3 runs great but it did start burning oil after about 20K miles. I honestly haven't done the math on it, and it seems to vary a lot, but I would roughly estimate half a quart every 600 miles. GW told me that was "within spec" to which I say BS, it didn't burn a drop up until that time.

I'm a little soured on Suby motors since my Crosstrek needed a new short block at 8,000 miles. But that's more of an emotional issue since those motors aren't swap candidates.
calsurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Go Westy 2450cc or Subaru conversion? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

My 2.3 runs great but it did start burning oil after about 20K miles. I honestly haven't done the math on it, and it seems to vary a lot, but I would roughly estimate half a quart every 600 miles. GW told me that was "within spec" to which I say BS, it didn't burn a drop up until that time.

I'm a little soured on Suby motors since my Crosstrek needed a new short block at 8,000 miles. But that's more of an emotional issue since those motors aren't swap candidates.

My 2013 Subi is still chugging along, about to crest 100K. Not the torquiest motor by far, but ok to move a little Crosstrek around. As far as a motor for my Westy, a Subi 2.5 would be sweet. That Honda swap looks interesting as well. Sure hope somebody has something for us CARB'd hostaged people ASAP.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: