Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pump is whining
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

my fuel pump started whining, so I replaced the filter and the pump. the ground wire is super old and rusted, other than that, what can I do to get rid of the noise?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

Look in the FAQ section, there are many remedies discussed.
Sometimes a new pump fixes it, sometimes the rubber mounts are broken, sometimes the pump, itself is clogged up.

Search Google, you will be offered a stunning number of possible causes and remedies.

There is no one magic bullet that works for everyone.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
space
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

Spunes wrote:
my fuel pump started whining, so I replaced the filter and the pump. the ground wire is super old and rusted, other than that, what can I do to get rid of the noise?

Isolate the pump from any metal parts
There should be an isolation sleeve w ur pump
Rear discs
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

i replaced my fuel tank, and my pump still whines. i'm whining too. it is contagious.

new pumps seem to be iffy. my old pump didn't whine at all, until it died, on all hallows eve. maybe the new pumps are haunted by the ghost of the old pump.

as dave says, search and find lots of solutions, including a lot of crazy crap like putting a very hot ceramic resistor next to your fuel lines.

after reading all the solutions, i'm resigned to be ok with a little whine.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

I only used to get that buzz if extremely hot out, with the pump pretty hot, too, and presumed it was classic cavitation. Cool down, fire up, it’d disappear.

But in these last few years, I seem to get it a lot more with the newer Boschs, even when still shiny.

It might be the new normal. We just carry two spares.

All we run now is the “post-pump” canister filter. Using only the plastic “pre-pump filter” before, it seemed to greatly stress the pump in general. One thing with the canister, about twice a year if noticing any lack of performance or inconsistent power, it definitely helps to pull off the pump inlet hose, block the flow with whatever you can, and (carefully) Q-tip the inlet on the pump. It does get soiled without the pre-filter, which slows fuel flow into the pump, and seemingly contributes to the classic whine.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jocoman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

I just carry a good spare and ignore it. Been like that for many many miles.
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

I noticed something after draining my tank to check for bad gas.

I drained it by disconnecting the fuel filter and attaching a length of hose that emptied into a container. This way when the fuel pump ran (jumpered to the battery with a length of wire) there was no back pressure. The pump was also dangling at an angle. I emptied 6 gallons this way. (fuel was fine to the last drop but that's another thread).

After attaching a new filter and running the pump for several minutes with the full fuel loop intact, it quieted down. Without the engine running it's barely noticeable. This is on a cheap Chinese pump that whined like my ex-wife (who wasn't cheap).

Is it possible running the pump freely without back pressure caused it to fully purge any air? Could minute air pockets be the cause of whining?
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: fuel pump is whining Reply with quote

What year Van? Water Cooled, air cooled, Subaru, Bostig, or other? Details please.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: