Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

North Carolina VIN inspection - title question - help please
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: North Carolina VIN inspection - title question - help please Reply with quote

I stopped by to see what the process was for the VIN inspection by the license and theft, I told him that I purchased a older VW and it didnt have a title and was told that I needed to get the inspection done for a bonded title..
and that I have a bill of sale.

He asks how well I like the seller? I asked why and he says that its against NC law to sell a non titled vehicle in NC... Shocked and that he would fine the seller.

At least didn't take my paperwork with me with any info of the sellers until I can talk to him.

Has anyone else heard this or experienced this? I didn't ask what the fine was as I guess I was in kinda a hurry to get out of there. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get the seller to go apply for a replacement title? Looks like all the forms are online.
I like that the replacement application has to 'age' for a couple of weeks before processing. Kinda like quality moonshine
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
Can you get the seller to go apply for a replacement title? Looks like all the forms are online.
I like that the replacement application has to 'age' for a couple of weeks before processing. Kinda like quality moonshine

Unfortunately the seller bought it in TN, towed it to NC and it sat... not time to work on it, so sold it.

I thought about him doing the bond title but then you couldn't sell it for 3 years.

guess I am gonna have to go back and see what the fine is, then get with the seller and see what we can work out...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndrewM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with your insurance company. You have to buy a surety (indemnity) bond for a vehicle with no title. Last time I did it it cost me $100. That was in 2003. When I did it I had to have the vehicle in running condition. I contacted the DMV after I had the paperwork. The inspector came out, inspected the vin numbers. Started the bus up, and that was that. I got a new title in the mail a few weeks later. You also have to pay the DMV fees on top of the cost of the bond. Here is the first search google sent me to.
http://www.northcarolinaindemnitybonds.com/index.html
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the process of the surity bond, The inspector was decent about the whole thing.... I have to get 2 estimates of the vehicles worth, from a shop or tax office.
I just didn't want the seller to get a fine for selling an untitled vehicle, he should have titled it when he brought it to NC from TN. this is what the inspector wanted to talk to him about before I proceeded onward with the bonded title.
I just didn't ask what the fine was... I may end up paying it to move forward.
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is illegal to sell a car in NC without a title unless you are selling as a parts cars. your seller should have made a bill of sale stating that it was sold "as is where is, with the understanding that it will used for parts".
You will then state that the car was to nice to part out so you want to fix it up.
Some of the inspectors are pricks about this and some are not.
Illegal or not this is a recent law and is absurd to expect everyone with a car in the backyard to know a change has been made.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bryan!
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryan pretty much hit the nail on the head. all the guy has to do is say he bought it as a parts car and sold it as such. you have to say you decided it was worth the effort and better than a parts car and want to fix it.

NC has gotten completely stupid with this and as bryan said some inspectors like to push the stupidity even further. man do i miss alabama sometimes. i actually have transfered cars to me(non title state) with bill of sales written in crayon and another in magic marker both on napkins in bama. and it totally wasn't just about the $ as that end is about 1/3 in bama what it is here in nc...ken....
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just register it in VT yourself and have completely legal paperwork to transfer into your name in NC. Search the forum, it's been covered plenty.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are getting some real good advice here. The ole' North State has become one of the most strict states in the Union for titling vehicles that are brought in from out of state or have no title. Supposedly it all came from and issue where some high on the chain government official bought a 356 Porsche, that was sold as authentic, but ended up being a fraud... At least that what I was told.

I ran into an issue a few years ago when I purchased a basket case of a Dune Buggy with a 69 hand written S.C. title, and SC applied Highway Dept numbers. The newer (which have changed a few more times) NC laws had just went into place, so through the flaming hoops I had to jump. Basically I had to have the car "Road Worthy" before any paperwork was to be submitted. I was very nervous about dumping the cash into a car that technically I legally didnt own with any legal paperwork. I did have the 69 title notorized after tracking down the "original" 1969 owner who's name was still on the title. Ohhh the owner/builder he had died, so the widow had to sign and get the proper letter of testament stating she could sign.. Rolling Eyes The car had changed hands 3 times and NO ONE had the balls to actually get it transfered to the newest owner. It all worked out in the end. The Buggy ended up being issued new "Public" VIN Numbers, with all other numbers found photographed and noted. I was lucky to know the inspectors. I have heard some horror stories. On a side note. I have a 62 ragtop that is registered as a Convertible, and a 61 Convertible that is registered as a Sedan. I went to the DMV to get the corrections made. The inquiry went down hill fast. 20 + questions about "theft" and VIN verification. WHO WHAT WHY WHEN..... Even though I have nothing to hide, I elected to "disregard".
I think the first order of the DMV is to scare the crap out of the honest people, with litigating terms.... Wink Follow the process, and you'll be good to go. Hopefully it wont end up with it being stolen, or something odd, then your up the creek with the banjo man and his paddle.

FYI North Carolina does not recognize companies like Broadway title, or those quicky title companies.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Supposedly it all came from and issue where some high on the chain government official bought a 356 Porsche, that was sold as authentic, but ended up being a fraud... At least that what I was told.

nope. it was a deal of a government offical pressuring a local office to sign off on titling a "supporter's" repop(glass bodied) ford roadster as a real roadster and getting caught. apparently he had "helped" a few others ease through cars that were questionable but nothing ever as bold as the getting a glass bodied car titled as og. i know one of the guys who worked at the rod shop that did work on alot of the cars in question. alot of the tightening of the belt was coming this just made it worse. i had friends in the rtp area with inspectors knocking on their door to verify the vin # and such on cars that had been legally titled in their name in this state for 5-15 years. that seems to have calmed down but it's still a pain. as usual one asshat caused a good chunk of the mess and tons have to suffer...ken....
BenJAMin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the work around would be Vermont. You don't need to be a Vermont resident to register your car there. If anybody asks, tell them you bought it in Vermont and transferred it to your name before you left so that there would be no question of ownership.
NCdad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenJAMin wrote:
I think the work around would be Vermont. You don't need to be a Vermont resident to register your car there. If anybody asks, tell them you bought it in Vermont and transferred it to your name before you left so that there would be no question of ownership.

I was going the Vermont way, but you still need the VIN inspected from License and Theft... and the inspector I dealt with fills out the paper work and submits it, not giving me any paperwork.

I don't mind going the bond title as I plan on keeping it ( at least the 3 years )

I was just not wanting to sink alot of $$$ to get it road worthy and end up not being able to title it.

managed to get the motor started with a temp fuel supply so at least I know that part is done...

my list to do before I take it to inspection is:
Gas Tank and line to tunnel
Brakes
lights
wipers
tires

Has anyone had to get 2 appraisals for value?
I was looking on the site, and it said that for Trailers, but the inspector told me to have to value estimates from a shop or tax office I guess for the bond?.
f
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, 2 appraisals. I am in the auto business, so know people in body shops, dealers, etc... I got 2 appraisals, both within a few hundred dollars of each other. It had to be on official business letter head so be prepared. Its for a tax value so go for the low ball appraisal.
Now insuring a Dune Buggy with an unknown VIN was a whlole different story... but got it worked out.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevin3406
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

headaches like this are why I refuse to buy any more cars without titles in the sellers name. geez! good luck to ya man, you have my sympathies.
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was going the Vermont way, but you still need the VIN inspected from License and Theft... and the inspector I dealt with fills out the paper work and submits it, not giving me any paperwork.

No you don't, they do that.
kandychromegsxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im new to the samba as i just got my first VW a 62 this week. havent been wanting one for a while tho. i know ALOT about these inspectors most are prics and want to be hard to deal with people trying to do the right thing. i think i ran into the same problem as the guy above. i bought a 64 Chevy from a old man lives around the block from me. he got it from VA and never got the title or did a bond with it. while a inspector was doing the inspection on my 39 chevy that came from GA i was tryin to ask her about doing a bond on my 64 she asked the story and said that woulod be "jumping title" sense the person i got it didnt title he would have to do the BOND. from the info above looks like i could do the bill of sale parts car thing or other wise i have to get the guy i got it from to do the bond. with experince from other i have seen some people get title back in just a few weeks and others take months are longer each time is different and really there is no set way to go about things cause u don tknow what inspecter u will get and how big a dick they are going to want to be! now is NC an car coming from out of state has to be inspected also which is just a pain the DMV got this stuff in NC all messsed. from what i was told that started it was fiberglass kit cars like 34 fords that where glass but regsiterd as a 34 fords which shouldn"t be right sense its a glass car. sorry for all the talking i just hate all these new laws on old cars in NC people trying to do the right thing and not get over on anyone and the DMV inspectors treat them like the biggest crooks they could find.
Mark33563
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I hate to dig up an old thread and bring it back to life but I do not want to get blasted for starting a new thread....so here goes....

I am looking to move to NC from Florida. I have titles to my vehicles (Bounty Hunter Buggy & '65 Beetle). How much crap am I going to get to get NC plates?

Half of what I see is "No Problem, but a bunch of hassle" and the other half seems to be "No Problem, not really a big issue since the titles are in your name".

Is there going to be a problem with me driving around my Bounty Hunter? My cars are meant for driving. They are not trailer queens that are for show only.

There is no VIN on the Bounty Hunter, so to speak. There is a plastic plate that looks like it was made at a Staples/Office Depot type of store and then riveted to the dash.

How much crap am I going to get when I go to replace the crappy shortened beetle chassis with an aftermarket one? Fisher Buggies sells a nice chassis.

Would I be better of to just keep a mailing address in Florida to keep things as they are with respect to my toys? I typically drive a Ford Fusion for work purposes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark33563 wrote:
Ok, I hate to dig up an old thread and bring it back to life but I do not want to get blasted for starting a new thread....so here goes....

I am looking to move to NC from Florida. I have titles to my vehicles (Bounty Hunter Buggy & '65 Beetle). How much crap am I going to get to get NC plates?

Depends on a few things... are they currently tagged and registered in Florida?

The 65 shouldnt be a real issue...unless the numbers dont match each other or its missing the body tag or chassis number.

When you bring in a non current registered out of NC car into NC, Vins will need to be verified by the NC DMV. Older cars are more susceptible .

The buggy with the label maker VIN will most likely be a problem..
The DMV will most likely pass on registering and titling it with that VIN and make you go the new VIN and Custom route.
If you plan on changing chassis... either go through the attempt process before and keep the change quiet.. or wait and attempt after, which is the better route as photos will be taken by the DMV.
They will locate a new VIN in a "public" area, where an officer can spot it easily when required. So when and if you make changes.. that VIN area can not be affected.

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR55A.pdf

If you want status quo, then you need a second home to be in FLA...

I for one would need it right.. The nice part about getting it right in NC.. once its done... its golden..

Usually and often edited
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While changing a VIN is illegal, it is not illegal to reproduce a VIN number or a VIN plate.

Harbor Freight and others sell metal stamping sets where you can stamp your own VIN into your chassis. This may be something you want to do someplace on the chassis that isn’t readily noticeable when looking. Also try to make it look like it’s been there for several years. If they question your plastic tag, then you can point out the stamped number as well.

Many states provide number plates for trailers or home built cars, as well as for catalog built hot rods and kit cars. You just need to go talk to the DMV, or look up on line how they do things in your state.

If you have a title with numbers matching your plastic tag issued by your state DMV, there shouldn’t be any big issues in transferring it over. However you may discover some unpleasant issues with being able to register the vehicle in a different state.

Some states have silly rules that can make your life miserable. For example, in Pennsylvania they require the engine to be covered. So anyone with a dune buggy in that state has to have an ugly engine cover on the back of the car.

NC may have similar silly things to deal with. You won’t know unless go directly to the source!

Laws and processes in ALL states are constantly changing, so someone telling you what they had to do last week to get their registration may not apply to you. It’s also common for you to go to the DMV, get all the information you need and then have the process change on you between that time and the time you walk back in their door for tag and title.

Title issues come up on this site a LOT, and many folks discover the hard way that it isn’t always easy. So if you are considering purchasing a car without a title, you really need to factor the headache into the deal.

Personally I have gone through it in the past and nearly lost the car to a previous owner. Since that time I have discovered that regardless of the make, model, or year of the car, there are PLENTY of them available out there with good paper, so there is NO need to jump on one that may come with a lot of hassles and heartache regarding registration, titles, or tags.

Without a title, you really don’t know who legally owns the car or who has the legal right to sell it, or what it’s history may be.

A couple years ago there was a long thread on this site by a guy in California who had his VW for something like 3 years – tagged and registered. One night the SWAT team came to his house, arrested him and confiscated his car. A previous owner 2 or 3 owners back had somehow reported it stolen.

This poor guy lost thousands of dollars in legal fees, lost his car and had his life turned upside down.

Just something to think about when looking to buy a car and the seller says they don’t have the title.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: