Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru Frankenmotor for the Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
I did a mileage test on mostly flat roads, going around 70 MPH, with a few brief stints to 80 MPH. I got 21.1 MPG.

Thanks for that measurement. Could you please post that to the mpg thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=136963

presslab wrote:
I don't like to load it that low due to oil pressure.

What kind of pressure are you seeing?

Which oil pump did you use?

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
What kind of pressure are you seeing?

Which oil pump did you use?

I don't have an oil pressure gauge. The light never came on. Shocked I do have a handheld gauge but I've never hooked it up. I just don't like the idea of loading it like that.

I used the original JDM EJ25D oil pump which has a 10mm rotor.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
I don't have an oil pressure gauge.

Gosh, it SO easy to add!

I copied what is done with the Subaru Sports Gauge set.

I used VDO senders I had from previous projects.

The gauges and senders were robbed out of wrecked VWs of the late 80s to early 90s.

You can add gauges very easily and they just screw in, not much magic.

I urge everybody to have the gauges, it is NOT hard at all....

Now I need to find a good place to mount them in the dash!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brent239 wrote:
My question is will my wiring harness work with the older heads? I believe I have to use the 2.2 intake, anything else I should know. I really need to get my van back on the road

It's recommended to use everything from the same donor car BUT

if you want to get creative you can make just about anything work.

Here is a 2002 EJ25 SOHC running off a 92 EJ22 ECM and harness.

The injectors are from the EJ25, it has the MAF, IAC and throttle body from the ej22.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
presslab wrote:
I don't have an oil pressure gauge.

Gosh, it SO easy to add!

Yeah, I guess I just don't want more stuff cluttering up the dash. Another thing to worry about, too. And what would it tell me? Say I have 20 PSI at 1000 RPM, does that mean it's ok to give it full throttle? I dunno...

Although with my tablet computer and my acquired DAQ unit (to be hooked to the Vanputer) it would be interesting to get these gauges into the digital domain and have a digital gauge cluster. Think

You know the saying, out of sight, out of mind. Maybe I like it that way. Laughing

jrobewesty wrote:
Here is a 2002 EJ25 SOHC running off a 92 EJ22 ECM and harness.

Wowsers, now that's a frankenmotor! Nicely done sir.
kuleinc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

presslab wrote:
On dirt roads it's a pleasure to drive. Although I don't like to load it that low due to oil pressure, it has significant power even from 1000 RPM, when I needed to go that slow because of Gears.

Fixed that for ya Wink Laughing
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:

Somewhere I read about IAC issues in such combinations.

What, if anything, was needed to get the IAC to work right?

JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issues with the IAC added to a intake that didn't originally have one??

They do gum up and make the idle go all over the place.

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vinnyvango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
The injectors are from the EJ25, it has the MAF, IAC and throttle body from the ej22.

Why would the manifold be reversed?

I'm REALLY interested in this since I have a Phase II DOHC on the engine stand with blown HGs. But I don't have the rest of the parts for a conversion.

Thanks!
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrobewesty wrote:
Issues with the IAC added to a intake that didn't originally have one??

They do gum up and make the idle go all over the place.

Jeff

Some IACs / throttle bodies may or may not work with the openings in some intake manifolds.

That is what I read when some one mixed and matched to create another Frankenmotor on another forum.

JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinnyvango wrote:

Why would the manifold be reversed?

I'm REALLY interested in this since I have a Phase II DOHC on the engine stand with blown HGs. But I don't have the rest of the parts for a conversion.

Thanks!

This is reversed to go in my bug.
JeffRobenolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

Some IACs / throttle bodies may or may not work with the openings in some intake manifolds.

That is what I read when some one mixed and matched to create another Frankenmotor on another forum.

All the IAC does is let air in at idle because the butterfly in the throttle body it closed.

As long as you add the IAC to the intake right after the throttle body I don't see any problems.

I don't know what is all different with the throttle body from a motor with an IAC vs one without. Just use the throttle body off the same intake that you take the IAC from.

Jeff
presslab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at another recent frankenmotor conversion this past weekend, a member here. It has EJ22E heads that have had their CCs increased (to lower compression) and a phase 2 N/A EJ25 shortblock. Static compression ratio is unknown, but supposed to be "stock" which I would figure is 10:1 on an EJ251/3. Head gasket is Cometic with "stock" thickness. Cams were stock EJ22E.

Initially it had a 90-91 ECU with the red top injectors. It wouldn't idle right, the SSM cable showed that it was too lean for the ECU to adjust. He had an "F9" ECU so we stuck that on, because it should match the red tops. At first the ECU couldn't correct the idle mixture with just the short-term-fuel-trim. But after a bit of long-term-fuel-trim was learned the ECU could then control the idle mixture. There seemed to be a few problems with the IAC and TPS, so we cleaned/adjusted those. It now idles just fine and has good power.

Next we looked at the IAM to see if the ECU was pulling timing due to knock. Uh oh, the IAM was at "0" which means the ECU has pulled all the additional timing. The fuel was 87 octane in the tank; he's going to try 91 octane to see if the IAM can come up.

What this does confirm is my theory that the even with stock cams the frankenmotor (with OBD1 ECU) has too much timing advance, even at 10:1 CR.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And therefore,
We need you to make daughterboards and EPROMs for us Sambanistas!

My build had suddenly come to a halt, a little Beach time in El Salvador, but I am back and should have the pistons back in, plus I am waiting for my heads to get finished.

Hopefully by the end of the month I will have it together.

Paul
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update to my build:

EJ25 Block - The VIN on the block has a "W" for the year; so I assume a '98 Phase 1 block, but I just noticed the 8 transmission mounting holes:

8 bolt blocks were Phase 2? Two knowledgeable Subaru gurus on the forums are conflicted whether it is Phase 2 or not: One says definitely, all 8 bolt blocks are Phase 2, another says not so fast; it is a Phase 1 odd ball block since the date code is 98. And others have said the factory warranty replacement blocks for Phase 1 EJ25's ('96-'98 ) used the stronger Phase 2 blocks with Phase 1 cylinder heads and pistons. Why do I care? The Phase 2 blocks are much stronger with larger rod bearings; 52mm versus 48mm and the thrust bearing was moved to the #5 journal to stop crank walking. So I would certainly prefer the Phase 2 block.

My EJ22 Cylinder heads are back from the machine shop and I assembled them on the coffee table last night will the wife is gone on a trip, hee hee!

I had the cylinder heads surfaced to ensure the Cometic MLS hybrid gasket has a perfectly flat and very smooth surface - This was recommended by my machine shop. They measured the cyl heads before machining: 3.870" is new; 3.860" is the limit. Mine wear just slightly under new so the took .003" taken off one and .004" off the other, my measurements are now 3.865" and 3.864". r39o says don’t machine the subie heads, but if you have a shop that does them all the time, it can be done successfully.

I ordered my Cometic Gasket in a thickness of .056". Stock I believe is .051" but again I can't get a confirmed answer on that. Others say .040" but I think that is for the SOHC 2.5's.

Regardless, using the TWE Compression calculator for Subies, my CR should be between 10.38:1 and 10.53:1.

Major work is now done. My HG's should be here on Monday and I hope to have the cylinder heads on by next week! I am getting excited to pull that 2.2 and have nice little power upgrade!

Besides my time, this is going to be a nice budget upgrade to my EJ22. My total cost so far is under $500!

Paul
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main bearings are a different size for phase 1 and phase 2. Different width and diameter, phase 2 is bigger on both IIRC.
korkwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Frankenmotor Reply with quote

I found this old thread, perhaps someone will chime in
About to order Cometic headgaskets for my version of Frankenmotor
Brand new 2010 STI shortblock with 92 2.2 heads. had stock turbo headgaskets and ruined one trying to adjust water passages. Cometic does have right gaskets but they are confused about thickness, offered .051 thick mls gaskets knowing i got turbo block. Stock gaskets are .019. Their thinnest ones are .027, was ready to order but thought perhaps someone went same route and used different thickness. Just wanted to hear real info.
TIA
Leon
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Frankenmotor Reply with quote

korkwood wrote:
I found this old thread, perhaps someone will chime in
About to order Cometic headgaskets for my version of Frankenmotor
Brand new 2010 STI shortblock with 92 2.2 heads. had stock turbo headgaskets and ruined one trying to adjust water passages. Cometic does have right gaskets but they are confused about thickness, offered .051 thick mls gaskets knowing i got turbo block. Stock gaskets are .019. Their thinnest ones are .027, was ready to order but thought perhaps someone went same route and used different thickness. Just wanted to hear real info.
TIA
Leon

I think it depends on the pistons. Are they domed? do they stick above the block? I would ask about this on the frankenmotor thread on the Nabisco site.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631527&highlight=frankenstien

You could check the TWE compression calc site too for info. When I look at the TWE calculations, the .020" HG would yield a 10.03:1 compression. and the .027 would be 9.79:1. Looks like good quench in either situation, Your are not getting super high compression, but it would still be a great upgrade to the 2.2.

Paul

Last edited by Franklinstower on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shortblock deck volume and head CC need to be figured out first to get a grasp of what HG thickness is needed for your desired CR.
The wrist pin to piston top affects the deck volume of the shortblock. Since turbo motors are lower CR than NA motors some dimensions need to be confirmed before moving forward.

I am interested in what numbers that you come up with.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
I got a different water pump for my other syncro that FrankenSubySyncro mentioned on another thread, it is from a '93 turbo legacy AISIN Part # WPF008.

The pump outlet faces rearward rather than down making the pump shorter. This is important for someone running the Tom Shiels t-stat housing adapter on a syncro as the adapter adds overall length to the water pump(without the adapter it is a non-issue) and severe mods need to be make to the skid plate as you can see here-

Since the pump was a extra outlet the adapter looks like it can be eliminated. The water outlet bolts are in a different position so that it is indexed incorrectly but I am sure the right one can be sourced.
Just a FYI unless someone knows a problem with this or a better solution. Idea
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: