Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 Ok for Syncro Trans?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1954AfrikaOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 Ok for Syncro Trans? Reply with quote

I was told to take out my Swepco 201 and put in a good 75W-90 gear lube in my 1987 Syncro transaxle. Swepco is too thick for winters in Utah.

Is anyone else running this in theirs?

Any issues?

I understand that it is a GL-5, but I read that others use GL-5 with no issues.

Gear oil is like Religion. I just want to install a good gear lube.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advise is to keep the swepco. Is there a particular reason (problem you are having with swepco) you are considering a change?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you insist on a Mobil 1 product, use the Delvak (HD truck) version, not the FLAPS version gear lube. Delvak is what many Porsche racers use.

Personally, I use Swepco 201, and just endure the first 10 minutes of lousy shifting during winters. I need GL5, as I have a more powerful engine, and Swepco is among the best GL5s.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1954AfrikaOval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on this forum that Swepco is the choice to use. I purchased this Synro with an EJ22 conversion. I changed out the transaxle lube and used Swepco 201. Since then my shifting in second gear has been more difficult. This is the first Utah winter and the trans does not like the cold. Even warmed up it is not shifting as well.

I purchased a decoupler from Daryl AA and he asked what lube I was using. He said to get a good quality 75W-90 and replace the Swepco, it is too thick for my application. I asked if Mobil 1 would do since Mobil 1 0-40 is what I run in all my vehicles engines and they have been solid for many years. He said that would be fine.

Now I have been reading that GL-5 is not good by some, and not to worry by others.

I think I have opened up the "Can of Worms" again.

But I took the advise and 4 quarts of Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 are in the tranny. I drove it about 30 miles and the shifting is back to normal and some of my gear noises are now gone.

I am just after the expertise of this forum to not do damage to my Syncro.
Anyone else running Mobil 1 without issues?

Here is a pic of my tranny magnet when I switched.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can probably thank the GL5 for a relatively clean magnet. The GL4/GL5 debate is misguided, based on VERY outdated arguments.

As you've found, not everyone can live with the balky shifting of dino oils during the winter months. Sometimes a compromise is warranted. But, Delvak would be a better choice for you next time. It may only be available in 5-gallon pails, so search around ahead of time for a 5 liter batch (call a Porsche repair shop).
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1954AfrikaOval wrote:
Anyone else running Mobil 1 without issues?

Bought my syncro new in 1991. Original tranny now has around 300 000km (180k miles).
After the WBX it was mated to a 1.6td then a 1.9td. It has seen ONLY that Mobil LS 75W90 since the fall of 1997.
That means about 200 000 km (120k miles) of the total. It shows NO signs of any issues.

Since 2007 I have had an ALH TDI with about double the torque of the WBX going through a tranny I had built
by Weddle for the TDI. It has also seen ONLY Mobil LS 75W90. Now with 110 000km (70k miles) it also shows NO signs of any issues.

For the past 12 years I have been doing all service on the syncros of 4 friends and have used
nothing but that Mobil oil in the trannies with no issues in any of them.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swepco 201 has been in my winter Syncros transmission and front diff since writing about it years ago.
New England winters are cold, snowy and my vans sees VT, NH and ME in the worst conditions.

Gears has posted some great info about Swepco and Daryl has been advising it for years.
I figure, since it is not easy to get locally, some may be advised to use something else.
That will come at a price, my opinion, and I am not talking about more cost effective fluid.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: