Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fog light install
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Fog light install Reply with quote

Got a set of fog lights, mounted them on the bumper. These have a 3 pole switch. One white and two black wires . I am replacing the cig lighter with the switch. Not sure which way to wire this. Relay on one black wire.

First attempt I popped the fuse in the relay.

Appreciate advice..thanks all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

Is it a lit switch? You will need a ground wire on the switch to work the light if so.

Toggle switches are easy, power in to the center terminal, power out on the other. I'm assuming the switch is just being used to trigger the relay? If so, the switch may just being used as a ground source for the relay. Do you have a picture of the setup?
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The wires are not necessarily in the right spot..in the photos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

That's not a relay, it's an inline fuse. That's a lit rocker switch so it needs to be wired like this:
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

Duuh. I knew that was a fuse, I blew it.. Shocked
Thanks ,,,looks easy.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

Thanks to your diagram, got the lights working, and changed to a toggle switch which fits better, replacing the cigar lighter.
Whats a good place to run the wires from the lights to the switch? Under or through the front trunk.[/quote]
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

ALANSD wrote:
Thanks to your diagram, got the lights working, and changed to a toggle switch which fits better, replacing the cigar lighter.
Whats a good place to run the wires from the lights to the switch? Under or through the front trunk.
[/quote]

This is a very good question, My THING came with a set of fog lights but they were not on it when purchased (they had been at one time is appears)

hey Alansd, i'm not a big fan of drilling holes in stuff but in re-pondering how i'd re-install mine one day,,,,

isn't there a drain plug of sorts in the bottom "well" when the jack assembly goes? behind the hood latch area...
From memory I think there is on my THING, but maybe Some creative wiring you could maybe even get a rubber o-ring firewall grommet type deal to "weather proof" the wire run.

From there, you "could" follow the WWiper hose to the "jet" on the dash, it'd get you in the cabin with no drilling...
But to do that you'd probably need to somehow pull the ww hose back in the dash with a string so you could pull it back?

I remembered doing that to replace my old WW hose but I didn't think to run a string for future wire pulls....., but it wouldn't be hard to do I guess.
Beer and patience and it'd get done! Very Happy

Well I think it would, but it was just an idea.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

When we pull wires through the front 1/4 panel we use 1/8 cable. Run the cable through first , tape the hose or wire harness on the end of the cable and pull the cable through. Helps with 2 people.
ALANSD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fog light install Reply with quote

well I found a hole near the headlight bucket, snaked through there, around the trunk inside to the dash area. Did drill a hole (bad boy) up where it is behind the panel. Tied the light switch in, where it replaces the cigarette lighter.
Found two rubber washers to pad the switch in the hole and help secure it behind the two washers.
Works well. Glad to get this little job behind me.

Happy holidays to everyone.

Musta been the turkey I ate, but laying on the floor to get the lights done was a lot easier than usual, or it could be the 70 degree weather here...we are blessed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: