Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Self Wiring ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Self Wiring ? Reply with quote

I am ready to rewire my 65 bug. I am wondering if anyone has rewired the car themselves rather than using a kit.

I'd like to add a few things, like a new fuse block, and main battery shut off switch.

Wondering if it's just easier to do my own..

Anyone do this or should I just get a new wiring kit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bagged59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it depends on your level of electrical expertise. Wiring a car from scratch is a pretty daunting task, and I don't think it would be worth it after purchasing all the materials and spending hours and hours measuring, routing, cutting, and then rerouting because you didn't account for something. If you want a newer style fuseblock and the flexibility to add accessories and extra switches, check out Painless. I am in the process of finishing up my wiring. I used their 18 circuit universal kit and it has been really easy. The newer style fuseblock is clean and simple, and the extra circuits can be used for my airbag compressors, alarm, door poppers, etc. The only issue was with the wires going to the engine, being routed to the back instead of the front as intended. They had to he lengthened by a couple feet, but that only took 5 minutes
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2. Best 300 I ever spent for wiring.
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Painless is painless eh! Smile

I've been thinking about theirs or even Watson Street Works.

I'll think I'll take that advice and purchase a kit. If need to be I can add to it.. or whatever.. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdivizzle0112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i purchased the watson kit and i have to say its awesome. plus, their customer service is great
mooks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we do automotive rewiring for a living and use the eazy wiring kit.the mini fuse one is awesome and have never had any problems with it.i believe the fuse box itself is almost the the size as the original vw one.it has the benifits on using mini style fuses and is label every foot or so.the kit cost around 150 shipped.
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mooks73 wrote:
we do automotive rewiring for a living and use the eazy wiring kit.the mini fuse one is awesome and have never had any problems with it.i believe the fuse box itself is almost the the size as the original vw one.it has the benifits on using mini style fuses and is label every foot or so.the kit cost around 150 shipped.

Hi,

Do you have a link you could provide?
I'd interested in purchasing one.
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdivizzle0112 wrote:
i purchased the watson kit and i have to say its awesome. plus, their customer service is great

This is good news! How long did it take you to install? Any tips you can share?
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think it would be worth it after purchasing all the materials and spending hours and hours measuring, routing, cutting, and then rerouting because you didn't account for something

Did the last re-wire without a drawing. Didn't need it. Didn't measure anything either. Redesigned the routing in a way that made more sense.

Under the dash photo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Used conduit to route the harness on the passenger side. New heater channels didn't have holes for the harness. Better protection from damage.

Battery area. Had the engine harness go over the right side.

The rear engine and lights harness

Finished dash detail.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do all my own wiring. Granted I have plenty of auto electrical experience and knowledge. I do prefer to make up my own harnesses, but at least try to stay true to the "original" circuits and colors. I like people who buy my cars to be able to go back to an OEM schematic for reference. I'll evaluate each car. Not all need a new harness "just because". I also ad my own circuits, upgrade, add protection and fuses where needed. In addition usually make amendments to the original schematic and keep it with each cars note book. Sure its a little time consuming, but in the end when you have multiple cars rolling around, or sell one off. It makes it so much easier to reference.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BadNis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: wiring Reply with quote

mooks73 wrote:

What kit did you get for $150 shipped info please!!!!!!!!!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out Rebel Wire. They make kits for bugs, bus', and rails.

http://rebelwire.com/rebel-wire-products.php?cat=Wire%20Kits

The cheapest kit or electrical component is not always the best. Make sure they use GOOD fuses. We did a test of some fuses from the Canadian version of Harbour Freight called Princess Auto. We passed 40 amps through a 25 amp fuse. It melted the covering off the wire and the fuse but the contact never broke in the fuse. We cut the wire aftr it caught fire.......

brad
Camo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my own from scratch. I think it all depends on if your car is going to be setup as standard or as modified in my case. I went from a simple speedo and separate fuel gauge (61 Beetle) to a dash near full of gauges, so a simple replacement wiring harness was never going to be any good for me.

If you are only replacing the basic standard wiring harness, I think I would buy one pre-made but make sure it is for the correct model. I simply started with a heavy duty 7 core trailer wire and pulled it through the roof section and another couple of wires for extra (electrical oil pressure and temperature gauges).

The wiring behind the dash may not be the neatest, but I have a cover over it anyway. Remembering that I went from 2 back-light dash globes to 7 back-light globes, all adds up to extra wiring.

Also, are you capable of following a wiring diagram.

Good luck, Kev
Hammarlund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, are you capable of following a wiring diagram.

This, as Frank said, is the crux of the biscuit.

If you want to be sure you will have everything working when you are done, take a little time and study the wiring diagram until you understand it.

Also, if you don't have one, buy a good volt-ohm-meter. In spite of the name, these usually measure current, too, and I like to spend the extra bucks to get one that will measure ten amps or so; such a meter is more versatile at for looking for trouble in a Kettering ignition system, than one that will only measure a couple of hundred milliamps.

In addition, a good old-fashioned analog meter is more resistant to interference from the car's ignition system than a digital one,which means more reliability; but I understand many people these days do not understand analog devices, so whatever makes you comfortable.

Learn to operate the volt-ohm-meter (takes maybe a couple of minutes), and then use it to check each connection against the wiring diagram as you make it, and you will be successful. Any other method is less certain.
AZ65CalBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I know my way around a car and while I do understand MOST of the wiring stuff, like amps, watts, relays etc.. I would be doing my own kit for a basic simple kit.

I would love to be able to do something like this..

So those $150 kits are pretty much junk ? I don't want a fire that is for sure! haha
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the EMPI kit is junk, one of the few parts I've seen from them that is. It had cheap 16ga wire for everything, wasn't my car so bit my tounge.

Wiring a car to the same as the picture above is easy. It just takes time and above all PLANNING. I will spend a couple of hours just figuring wire routing and bundling, draw my own wiring diagram for extra circuits and figure out everything I need before I even crack open a spool of wire. Leave the wires longer than needed and do not cut them until you are ready to terminate them. The extra couple of bucks in wasted wire will be worth the finished product. And there's always a use for short pieces somewhere on a project.

I personally hate the look of the plastic sleeves on crimp connectors so I remove them, or get the connectors without them. I then crimp the connector with high quality crimping tools, not he yellow handled flat steel ones that come in the connector kit for $12 or worse a regular pair of pliers Shocked , solder it and cover the end with QUALITY heat shrink tubing, the kind with glue inside. It is more money, but worth every extra penny. And use a heat gun to shrink it, not a lighter.

brad
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see i'm bringing up a relatively older post, but i have one question for you wiring guys: What determines gauge thickness?? could you give the guages for the wires??

i am fully competent in wiring a car my self, just need to determine wiring gauges...and where to find color coded wiring close to what was available from the factory.

the diagrams on this wonderful sight make it just as easy as plug and play, i save a lot of money on the front end, and i have time to do the wiring while i save up for other stuff.

thanks for any advice/numbers on gauges

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What determines gauge thickness

Current, aka AMPS. Wiring diagrams from the library here on Samba will give the DIN wire gauge/size and convert to SAE gauge with this chart. Unless you already know what the current draw will be, the chart shows the max amps for that gauge.

http://www.kayjayco.com/techAmpsNSAE2Metric.htm
VW Wiring = It's just wires
mooks73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey fellas,sorry for the late response.we have been working 12 hour days.the kit is from ez wiring,21 curcuit mini fuse.if you look on the ebay and punch ez wiring you will see the harness im talking about.i lost my usb cable so cant post pics of the rides we have done or how the box looks but to me its awesome and have never had anyone complain about the product.
j.goodspeed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Self Wiring 1967 Beetle Reply with quote

My 1967 beetle project needed some severe changes to a stock wiring harness, however I wanted to retain an original look. I took advantage of re-routing of wires for a cleaner look. I wanted to add ground wires to all exterior lamp assemblies and add a pair 40 watt relays (1 for the low, and 1 for the high beam) to the headlamp circuits to control any dimming or fluctuation regardless of engine RPM. This will also come in handy as I am running high wattage H4 bulbs. In addition, I am adding a Haltech Sprint 500 EFI computer to the vehicle to control the engine. I stubbed necessary wiring under the seat to control this unit. I sourced all correct colored tracer wires, upgraded all power connections and even used original German brass .250 wiring connectors. In the end, I built this wiring harness completely from scratch and sourced everything to accomplish this.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: