Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiroracer wrote:
on the downward travel use the limit of the ball joint but on the uptravel you need to use the compressed length of your shock as the limit otherwise you will break the shocktowers eventually. El Burro

? i would use the limit of the ball joint at compressed length also (as far as welding in stops) and then make sure your shock compression length is appropriate ( a little room to spare after max compression of the suspension)
SpeedFreak675
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried kyb gr2 shocks up front, they are softer than gas a just shocks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave24
Samba Hack Purist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedFreak675 wrote:
Has anyone tried kyb gr2 shocks up front, they are softer than gas a just shocks.
Just my opinion (I have owned/used GR2s), I think they are better as light duty street-use shocks. From KYB, I prefer gas-a-just. Tiny bit more $$, but worth it IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpeedFreak675
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking that gr2 are a bit softer since there is no weight up front.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are a bit softer, but are probably not going to hold up as well as the gas-a-just shocks.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

confused and irritated. Is there ratio of which the compressed shock is related to extended? Thanks
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chubby53 wrote:
confused and irritated. Is there ratio of which the compressed shock is related to extended? Thanks

this might help
http://www.kyb.com/technical/documents/ShockDimensionsSecured.pdf
Bubbleman51
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: fox 2.0?? Reply with quote

hey there

I'm looking at putting some fox 2.0's of my baja bug. What would be the right amount of travel for a basicly stock suspension?I have KYB whites on there now. would it be worth switching? I do bit of off roading in the desert.

thanks for the help.
Vince@SDHQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: fox 2.0?? Reply with quote

Bubbleman51 wrote:
hey there

I'm looking at putting some fox 2.0's of my baja bug. What would be the right amount of travel for a basicly stock suspension?I have KYB whites on there now. would it be worth switching? I do bit of off roading in the desert.

thanks for the help.

Measure your extended and collapased clength of the suspension from eyelet to eyelet. Post up those #'s or give a shop a call and they can look up the exact length shock you will need. Im gonna say around a 6" stroke though set up at a 1:1 ratio.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a standard lenth shock used for stock front ends with cut/turn beams or adjusters? My stock Napa shocks are already limiting my down travel and after i rebuild the beam with adjusters i want to raise the front a few inches but it seems pointless with the shocks i have since it wont go any higher. Its a street baja (ball joint) that may see small amounts of dirt but will never be abused too hard. Its my daily driver/ commuter.

I plan on putting in the hook stops, and will eventually be able to measure the exact distance i need, but i want to get this front end done quickly as i need the car to get to work. I was hoping someone on here could point me to a length i could use and grab before i tear everything apart. Thanks!
Vince@SDHQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darth brian wrote:
is there a standard lenth shock used for stock front ends with cut/turn beams or adjusters? My stock Napa shocks are already limiting my down travel and after i rebuild the beam with adjusters i want to raise the front a few inches but it seems pointless with the shocks i have since it wont go any higher. Its a street baja (ball joint) that may see small amounts of dirt but will never be abused too hard. Its my daily driver/ commuter.

I plan on putting in the hook stops, and will eventually be able to measure the exact distance i need, but i want to get this front end done quickly as i need the car to get to work. I was hoping someone on here could point me to a length i could use and grab before i tear everything apart. Thanks!

What is the extended and collapsed length of the shocks you have on now?
darth brian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure :/ guess i can find that out pretty easily. They are the stock shocks according to Napa
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently switched from swing axle to IRS. In switching I had to buy new shocks. I ended up getting a really good deal on some Skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks. They belong on a 2007 F-150 with a 3 inch lift. I was able to mount them and they fit quite well. When I received them they seemed out of the ordinary. They came with nothing holding them in the closed position. I pulled on the end and it came out. They shocks act more like a stabilizing shock not a shock absorber. I was just wondering if this is what shock technology is nowadays? Will this shock work ok in conjunction with the Stock torsion?

Here is a pic

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know the Skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks are a plane jane hydraulic oil shock with no gas charge, just like the original vw shocks. The shocks you have will be just fine. The only performance difference between stock style hydraulic shocks and gas shocks is all else being equal, gas shocks will resist aeration and thus will have reduced fade effects. There is an easy way to tell if you have a gas charged shock. Gas charged shocks will extend on their own after they are compressed whereas standard oil shocks will not.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanapplebomb wrote:
From what I know the Skyjacker hydro 7000 shocks are a plane jane hydraulic oil shock with no gas charge, just like the original vw shocks. The shocks you have will be just fine. The only performance difference between stock style hydraulic shocks and gas shocks is all else being equal, gas shocks will resist aeration and thus will have reduced fade effects. There is an easy way to tell if you have a gas charged shock. Gas charged shocks will extend on their own after they are compressed whereas standard oil shocks will not.

Thanks Vanapplebomb that's just what I was looking for!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
darkflaw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to order some shocks, need some advice.

I am measuring 20" collapsed on my 3x3s, and 30" extended, this means I need a 10" travel shock correct? Or should I go with a 12..

Also not sure what spring lengths, I read that main spring needs to be longer than tender spring or both longer than the travel, can't find the info I read awhile ago..
Vince@SDHQ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkflaw wrote:
Getting ready to order some shocks, need some advice.

I am measuring 20" collapsed on my 3x3s, and 30" extended, this means I need a 10" travel shock correct? Or should I go with a 12..

Also not sure what spring lengths, I read that main spring needs to be longer than tender spring or both longer than the travel, can't find the info I read awhile ago..

Will you be strapping it a little less than the 30" ? If so 10's will work, but you don't want the shock to be your limit strap, IF your gonna use the full 10" then a 12 may be easier. It depends on the ratio at which your mounting them too.

We run 12's on the rear of the 5/16.
D0N1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some shocks

vdubwizard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: New and better pricing coming out on shocks Reply with quote

I talked to Owner of F.O.A. Shocks. Very informed person! The web site is easy to find. I am going to coil-overs @ 12" travel, already have the springs so decided on F.O.A. from pricing and look on web, search thru Google! lots of good to say and re-build able, re-valve able, and guaranteed. Very Happy
Will let you know when money is available to purchase and the web site has a work sheet to help choose your preferences! G-Man
Please use <vdubwizard> for all messages, Big foot does not work correctly? Long rod Engines slow the piston down at TDC and BDC to let more flow and less angle to the pistons which helps the engine to last longer, less wear, and move the power band up the scale a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question. I installed some bilstien 5100 series shocks on the rear of my Baja, put the engine and cage on. if I stand on the rear cage and bounce, it's still springy feeling. is that normal, or did I F$#% up and get the wrong kind of shock?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: