Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SHOCKS SHOCKS SHOCKS
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "springy feeling?"

Those shocks should be good for the rear of a baja...

If you bounce on the rear cage, then jump off, does the car continue to bounce, or does it return to ride hight? If it returns to ride hight with minimal oscillation after you dismount, then your shocks are doing their job.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
chubby53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will check if it continues to bounce. Thanks for the reply
cmiller95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys i was wondering how everyone mounted their shocks on sand rail. I wont be buying after market shock towers because i can make mounts cheaper than 110$. I was thinking of bent tubing like most do. And then how do you guys make stops for the suspension, I think i'll break a hook and rod setup

My Rail Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427627

My Baja Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466974
thresher61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: for what it's worth Reply with quote

Yes, definitely it would sure answer my questions when I get to this part of my build.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmiller95 wrote:
...I think i'll break a hook and rod setup

Unless they welds suck, I doubt that you will break them...

pHenrichsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: straight stock needs upgrade Reply with quote

alright guys, i'm quite new to baja bugs, about to buy my first one.

it has a 1776 motor (so its got a little more umph) and a 3 inch body lift, fiberglassed fenders and all that, but it has stock suspension...

the main purpose of this car is to be a daily driver, but be good enough to drive out to glamis and rip around for a weekend and drive it home, and ive been told stock suspension just won't cut it if I wanna be going crazy in the sand.

now, I'm 20 years old and I bag/check groceries at my local market with no real fab skills so a whole new kit is kinda out of the picture, so i'm wondering what is out there that I can 1. afford and 2. install and put together in my grandpa's garage down the street.

is there a company out there making something that simple or will there be custom fab work involved no matter what route I go? and how crazy do I have to go with the setup? is it just shocks? or is it a whole kit I want to be looking for?

tl;dr version, im buying a daily driver Baja bug but want to upgrade suspension to be able to have fun on the weekends, but im young with no fab skills and a tight budget, what do you suggest?
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: straight stock needs upgrade Reply with quote

pHenrichsen wrote:
alright guys, i'm quite new to baja bugs, about to buy my first one.

it has a 1776 motor (so its got a little more umph) and a 3 inch body lift, fiberglassed fenders and all that, but it has stock suspension...

the main purpose of this car is to be a daily driver, but be good enough to drive out to glamis and rip around for a weekend and drive it home, and ive been told stock suspension just won't cut it if I wanna be going crazy in the sand.

now, I'm 20 years old and I bag/check groceries at my local market with no real fab skills so a whole new kit is kinda out of the picture, so i'm wondering what is out there that I can 1. afford and 2. install and put together in my grandpa's garage down the street.

is there a company out there making something that simple or will there be custom fab work involved no matter what route I go? and how crazy do I have to go with the setup? is it just shocks? or is it a whole kit I want to be looking for?

tl;dr version, im buying a daily driver Baja bug but want to upgrade suspension to be able to have fun on the weekends, but im young with no fab skills and a tight budget, what do you suggest?

You might want to post these questions in the main forum and get better response. The basic suspension is pretty good and is fine for daily driving and a few trips into the woods and sand. You said to daily drive and rip around at glamis...then you mentioned "going crazy in the sand" Well the sand will beat your car whether its tricked out or not. For serious sand driving you need bigger tires...which need a bigger engine too push em...which may need a better tranny to hold up if you are abusive..If you plan to do a lot of jumping then you may need to do some extensive suspension work AND you still may not be able to drive it home when your done. going crazy in the sand or dirt opens you up to ...damage There really aren't any basic kits but several things you can do to beef up what you have or get some additional clearance. A few days reading through the stickies and some builds may give you some ideas. Good shocks are nice place to start but you need much more than that if you really want to hit jumps regularly or go crazy in the sand. Good luck and welcome
cupcake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Fox 2.0 x 8.5 emulsions installed. Good shock for a bascially stock front end. And under $300 for the pair shipped to my door.
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cmiller95 wrote:
Hey guys i was wondering how everyone mounted their shocks on sand rail. I wont be buying after market shock towers because i can make mounts cheaper than 110$. I was thinking of bent tubing like most do. And then how do you guys make stops for the suspension, I think i'll break a hook and rod setup

This is ours, I don't use a hook and loop setup because the stress and shock it imparts on the frame, arms and bushes is very high, just urethane foam stops on the shock for 95% of hits, a hard urethane stop on the top arm for really bad stuff, and the normal rubber stop inside the Fox dampers for the rebound.

KrAzY-BaJa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhillipM wrote:
cmiller95 wrote:

This is ours, I don't use a hook and loop setup because the stress and shock it imparts on the frame, arms and bushes is very high, just urethane foam stops on the shock for 95% of hits, a hard urethane stop on the top arm for really bad stuff, and the normal rubber stop inside the Fox dampers for the rebound.

Shocked Exclamation Shocked This is extremely bad in every way!
Improper shock placement/geometry (mounting points not parallel/at full bump at or near 90* of arms)
springs are forcing the arms to pull out of the beam, which leads to breakage of thru rods and wearing of bushings.
lack of limit strap with help beat internals of shocks
ForYotaWagen: A Ford/Toyota/Volkswagen http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4871576&highlight=#4871576
PhillipM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you've ever pulled a Fox 2.0 apart but there are internal rubber droop stops, and if your suspension rates are right, the force on them is negligable.
You don't need a check strap on a damper unless you're hanging the weight of a beam axle on it, your motion ratios are terrible, or for some reason your spring rates are so low you're running insane amounts of preload. Hell, even if you are, you're going to pound the spherical bearings out before you damage the internals.

As for the shocks having to be at 90* Laughing
Tell me, if you're corning hard and drop in a rut/hit a banking with the side of the wheel, which way do the arms flex and push on the bushes/through rods?
The spring and damper is counter-acting that flex (they'd be better on the bottom arm because most of it is reacted there, but it's not possible because of the packaging).
Same reason you see offset springs on struts.

And I can assure you there is nothing wrong with the geometry for the motion ratios.
muddbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg,,,

i just read all 8 pages for nothing ,i still have no idia what shocks to look for ... just a waste!
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddbug wrote:
omg,,,

i just read all 8 pages for nothing ,i still have no idia what shocks to look for ... just a waste!

Well, you've been to the grocery store and seen all the types of bread they carry...So which bread are ya gonna buy?

Did ya think it's a simple matter of "I have a Baja Bug - which shocks do I get?"

Aint none of this that simple dude.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muddbug wrote:
omg,,,

Kyb stock gas adjust is a great choice on a budget. Had em for years and loved em

i've found that the Bilstein class 11 vw bug shocks are the most appropriately sized shocks for the basic cut and turned baja front end. The basic rear they have is also properly sized for the "unnotched springplates". I had to go with a 5165 series because i have increased my travel beyond stock. Very Noticeably better ride than the Kybs
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustymojave wrote:
muddbug wrote:
omg,,,

Well, you've been to the grocery store and seen all the types of bread they carry...So which bread are ya gonna buy?

Did ya think it's a simple matter of "I have a Baja Bug - which shocks do I get?"

Aint none of this that simple dude.

Best way I have heard it put. This thread is not to tell you which shocks to buy but simply to allow you to know what shocks people are running for different types of uses and to help improve upon current setups.
stumper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bought a pair of front KYB gas a justs for $64 shipped from http://www.kyboutlet.com/ . Cheapest place by far that I could find. Not sure if its been mentioned or not.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So anyone know of some coil-overs that will work on a bay window bus?

If anyone knows of some fox shocks. only fox.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
winchin73blazinbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best bet would be to make new shock mounts and get whichever length you want the coilovers to be.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking. I'm trying to eliminate the torsion bars.

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats wrong with Torsion bars? You will need some pretty hefty coil overs for a Bay.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: